Hello

Welcome and thank you for joining our forum! Please introduce yourself to us!
PLEASE NOTE YOU HAVE TO REGISTER TO SEE MOST FORUMS.

Hello

Postby Talr » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:20 pm

Hello

Well I am a newbie as I am going to go for my PADI open water dive course on nov the 8th :D soo excited but i have been diving with the sharks and in the tanks in kelly talrtons which i loved soo frikin much (thank you my lovely boyfriend).

I use to go snorkelling heaps last summer (goat island became my second home pretty much :P ) and so i have been waiting all year to do my dive course. Just a bummer that a friend i was going to do it with bailed last min and my boyfriend is not into it so now i don't really know anyone to dive with when i complete the course.

Are there like any groups you can go with i saw on the dive performance website they do some i think?.... anyhoe Hello and i am new to this whole dive thing and i am slowly building up my dive gear (poor student) but i think i will just borrow the gear till i get everything.

But i defiantly cant wait to get diving, i loved snorkelling and at kelly tarltons i never wanted to get out :D.
Last edited by Talr on Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Talr

Re: Hello

Postby Andy » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:49 pm

Welcome to the forum! Diving certainly is the best, and it only gets better the more you do!

If you're Auckland based, it really isn't too hard to find people to dive with. Most of the shops have their own dive clubs and there are a whole bunch of other clubs and groups around.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby binklebonk » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:05 pm

Hi and welcome!

Talr wrote: my boyfriend is not into it so now i don't really know anyone to dive with when i complete the course.

<relationship counsellor hat on>

Now this is a very serious problem.. The best piece of dive gear is an equally enthusiastic partner, or failing that the next best thing is having a partner who is loaded but in a coma or semi vegetative state as long as you have access to the cash.

So he needs to understand that if he stays (conscious) he plays..

<counsellor hat off>
binklebonk

Postby Andy » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:21 pm

binklebonk wrote:So he needs to understand that if he stays (conscious) he plays..

Not like you to miss a chance at a cartoon, Rob....

Andy
Serial Poster

Postby binklebonk » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:13 pm

Ha ha nice!

Mind you I found one waaaay more inappropriate...

coma_sutra_mousepad-p144399883010148182trak_400.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
binklebonk

Postby Talr » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:32 pm

binklebonk wrote:
coma_sutra_mousepad-p144399883010148182trak_400.jpg

Hmmm note to self never get into coma..... :lol:

But i agree he should dive with me but in all fairness he was nice and kept driving me up to goat island nearly every weekend last summer even tho he seemed to get cold really fast in the water and had to warm up on the beach like a crocodile :P so i'll forgive him for ditching me with diving...he is much more into his subaru.

So now im on the lookout for dive people...any one in north shore bahaha :D
Talr

Postby Andy » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:37 pm

There are a few people here based on the shore - tho' Auckland isn't that big! Whereabouts are you doing your OW course?
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Talr » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:36 am

with dive centre takapuna? they gave me a huge pack etc and the dates they had best suited me.
Talr

Postby Andy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:52 pm

Hmmmm, I don't think that the Dive Centre run their own dive club - which is a shame.

Make sure that you exchange phone numbers with everyone on your course (with in reason!). A good OW course should prepare you for going diving with people of the same experience level, so it should be easy enough to hook up with people off course and go for a dive afterwards.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Talr » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:56 pm

Yeah the only place i know of...well I havn't really looked up many places yet exams on atm...but where i got some gear from at Performance Diver and i read on their site they do like dive groups etc

but yeah i had a noisy at the list when the guy was busy signing me up and i think there was one other person doing it...but i think more will come. I was planning to hopefully meet some people on my OW course...none of my friends like diving or anything the closest people i know who dive are my dads friends :s hahaha
Talr

Postby Drip » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:12 pm

...tumbleweed
Drip

Postby Talr » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:55 pm

Drip wrote:...tumbleweed

pretty much
Talr

Postby Andy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:47 pm

Talr wrote:but yeah i had a noisy at the list when the guy was busy signing me up and i think there was one other person doing it...but i think more will come. I was planning to hopefully meet some people on my OW course...none of my friends like diving or anything the closest people i know who dive are my dads friends :s hahaha

Yeah, at this time of year OW courses tend to have more than a couple of people on.

It's crazy, but the dropout rate for new divers after their course is really high - around about half of the people who learn to dive never dive again after their course..... part of the cause is that you do need to know people to go diving with. Hopefully your instructor will organise something pretty much straight after the course to get you out diving. If they don't, I'd definitely suggest a trip to the Poor Knights. Dive! Tutukaka offer free guides on their boats - and it's amazing how often you will meet people on a boat who lives around the corner and also has no one to dive with.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby ChuckyBob » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:34 pm

Andy wrote:
It's crazy, but the dropout rate for new divers after their course is really high - .

True that.

My wife got hapu soon after she started diving, then again soon after she started again, then again soon after she started again. Luckily we have figured out what causes it now and she is not allowed to dive again....ever!
ChuckyBob

Postby binklebonk » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:43 pm

ChuckyBob wrote:
Andy wrote:
It's crazy, but the dropout rate for new divers after their course is really high - .

True that.

My wife got hapu soon after she started diving, then again soon after she started again, then again soon after she started again. Luckily we have figured out what causes it now and she is not allowed to dive again....ever!

Now someone has to point out that maybe the problem is you not "diving" enough.... :P

:lol:
binklebonk

Next

Return to Haere mai!