Another Newbie

Welcome and thank you for joining our forum! Please introduce yourself to us!
PLEASE NOTE YOU HAVE TO REGISTER TO SEE MOST FORUMS.

Another Newbie

Postby ScoobaGurl » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:10 pm

Hi All,

Had 10 or so dives under my belt (all tropical) then decided it might be a good idea to certify ....... here in NZ (man its cold). Just completed my Open Water and am doing Advanced up at Poor Knights this weekend. Horrified and what I didnt know!! Dont recommend doing the cowboy thing and just diving cause you can! Want to do Wreck Specialty in Feb ...... have a thing for wrecks. Spend 6 months living & diving on Pitcairn Island and got to dive the remains of the Bounty ..... not much left, just some pig iron ballast but at least I can say what very few people can .... I dove the HMAV Bounty and the Cornwallis another wreck off Pitcairn.

Looking to network and meet other divers who like wreck diving, spear fishing & sailing...... always good to have dive buddies ...... I got my 26yr old son to certify with me so I would have a dive bud but diving with Mum isnt always the cool thing to do.

Great to have found this forum

Cheers
N
ScoobaGurl

Re: Another Newbie

Postby DiveDiva » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:37 am

Hi there and welcome!

I am soooooo jealous you're going to the Poor Knights - it is one of my favourite places in the world to dive!! I miss it so much being in the UK. It might be a little less than tropical but it is AMAZING! You will love it!

There are plenty of active divers on here (who are in NZ at the moment) Are you based in Auckland!

I look forward to hearing about your advanced after the weekend!

DD
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby DOWN-UNDER » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:21 pm

Welcome aboard.
I did my advanced over 20 years ago at the Knights. Was fantastic doing a free ascent down to 30m then carried on till got to 40m on our deep dive.
I'm sure you'll have a blast, and the sea weather looks great for the weekend.
DOWN-UNDER

Postby ScoobaGurl » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:05 pm

DOWN-UNDER wrote:Welcome aboard.
I did my advanced over 20 years ago at the Knights.

Good grief 20yrs ago!! Have you done the Knighs since? Am looking forward to it ...... have very high expectations as everybody waxes lyrical about the Knights as well as it being touted as one of the best dive sights in New Zealand.

If thats tue what comes after Poor Kniights? Definately want to do the Rainbow Warrior but dont know what else is out there yet.

Any suggestions??
ScoobaGurl

Postby DiveDiva » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:45 am

Rainbow Warrior is fantastic as is the HMNZS Canterbury in the BOI. I haven't been lucky enough to experience White Island or the Kermadecs yet but I have heard amazing things about them!
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby DOWN-UNDER » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:27 pm

ScoobaGurl wrote: Have you done the Knighs since?

If thats tue what comes after Poor Kniights? Definately want to do the Rainbow Warrior but dont know what else is out there yet.

Any suggestions??

Yes had a dive over a year ago at the Knights, but it was a rough getting out there, viz wasn't the best.
The Warrior is in my local diving area, as reported a nice dive. Also the Canterbury is a must if you're up this way.
There are a lot of great dive sites around the Bay of Islands< I don't need to travel to the Knights :wink:
Some areas with places to dive. (Sure others will note a few more also)
From the Auckland area you have Goat Island, Kawau Island and all the surrounding areas. Little Barrier, Great Barrier.
Diving out of Tairua you have Shoe, Slipper Islands and Aldermans.
Further up out of Whitianga you've got Red Mercury Islands.
From Tauranga/Whakatane Mayor Island and White.
DOWN-UNDER

Postby ScoobaGurl » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:08 pm

Oh GUTZ!! Dive Centre just cancelled Advanced Course at Poor Knights for this weekend because too many people pulled out! :cry:

Must dive, must dive ....... need to find somewhere to dive and someone to dive with this weekend!!! anyone? any suggestions? suppose I could join some dive charter ...... any recomendations?

Auckland/Northland or Coromadal areas preferably
ScoobaGurl

Postby DiveDiva » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:46 am

Dive! Tutukaka (Northland) should be able to help you out! They're offer the lot...gear...guides...awesome dive spots at the Poor Knights. Give Kate a call on 09 434 3867. Hope you get to get wet!
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby DOWN-UNDER » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:07 pm

ScoobaGurl wrote:Oh GUTZ!! Dive Centre just cancelled Advanced Course at Poor Knights for this weekend because too many people pulled out! :cry:

Must dive, must dive ....... need to find somewhere to dive and someone to dive with this weekend!!! anyone? any suggestions? suppose I could join some dive charter ...... any recomendations?

If only had seen your post earlier. You could had come up and dived with us.
DOWN-UNDER

Postby ScoobaGurl » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:46 pm

Yea problem with having to have all my posts approved on this site! whats that all about??? posted that on Thursday and post only approved on Monday :-(

Managed to score a place on a yacht racing in the Friday night Destination Series for Richmond Yacht Club to Ponui Island. from there we sailed to Tarahiki Island to dive for crays. Got 3 nice big ones (dive buddy not me) ...... nom nom. Viz wasnt great but heaps of crays .... truely heaps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ScoobaGurl on Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScoobaGurl

Postby ScoobaGurl » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:53 pm

DOWN-UNDER wrote: If only had seen your post earlier. You could had come up and dived with us.

Where did you dive?
ScoobaGurl

Postby DiveDiva » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:07 am

ScoobaGurl wrote:Yea problem with having to have all my posts approved on this site! whats that all about??? posted that on Thursday and post only approved on Monday :-(

There was a problem with the site, which has now been resolved, so my apologies for that.
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby DOWN-UNDER » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:37 pm

ScoobaGurl wrote:Where did you dive?

By the Cavalli Islands. We got 5 crays, not hard out hunting them in one dive.
DOWN-UNDER

Postby ChuckyBob » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:46 pm

Hi noobies and welcome!

Dived Shag ( Tarahiki ) several times but never seen much in the way of Crays there. But the last few dives I have done close to there I have seen heaps more crays than normal. Its nice to see they are out and about.

Off to the Cavalies over xmas to dive the Warrior! Cant wait!!
ChuckyBob

Postby ScoobaGurl » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:07 am

ChuckyBob wrote:Hi noobies and welcome!

Dived Shag ( Tarahiki ) several times but never seen much in the way of Crays there. But the last few dives

X marks the spot where we were diving for Crays. We were down only 7-10mtrs for 30mins and got 3 nice ones..... also saw lots of young ones.

Rainbow Warrior is definately a goal in the not so distant future .... just want to get my Advanced first. Booked for 10/11th Dec at Poor Knights
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ScoobaGurl

Next

Return to Haere mai!