An Aucklander in waiting!

Welcome and thank you for joining our forum! Please introduce yourself to us!
PLEASE NOTE YOU HAVE TO REGISTER TO SEE MOST FORUMS.

An Aucklander in waiting!

Postby AndrewRawlingson » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:49 am

Hello everyone, my name is Andrew Rawlingson and I will moving to Auckland in August 2012. I'm from the UK and currently live in Devon on our southwest coast. I dive regularly in the UK, it's cold and grim a lot of the time, but very occasionally we get a good day! I've dived a number of far flung destinations, but have never dipped a toe in Kiwi waters, that is about to change :D

I'm generally happy underwater, regardless of what I'm doing. Like wrecks and reefs, but have a preference for diving with sharks and other large animals. I'm also getting quite interested in underwater photography. My standard kit is a drysuit, wing, single cylinder plus a sideslung of some description. I usually dive solo and hold a solo diving qualification for what it's worth.

I'm looking forward to learning more about diving in NZ and may even see you soon on a dive boat somewhere :)
AndrewRawlingson

Re: An Aucklander in waiting!

Postby petemes » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:39 am

Hi Andrew,
Great to hear that you are coming to live in NZ. The diving her is superb! There is something here for everyone. I have my annual pilgrimage to the Mikhail Lermontov in the south Island in sept so you are welcome to join us there. Details on my http://www.lust4rust.co site

We do a lot of interesting stuff. Would love to have you join in on the fun!

Kind regards

Pete Mesley
"A little less talk a little more action" Elvis Presley
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby Crayfish » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:25 am

If your getting intrested in underwater photography come along to one of our SEAFANZ meetings third Tuesday of every month at 7:30pm at The Dive Centre on Forrest Hill Road North Shore.
It is better to have dived! Than not at all!
Crayfish

Postby AndrewRawlingson » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:36 am

thanks guys.
AndrewRawlingson

Postby Northland Dive » Tue May 01, 2012 2:39 pm

Hi Andrew,
We'd love to see you up at Northland Dive in the Bay of Islands. We have a large range of dive sites and we cater for all dive levels, for more information please visit our website http://www.northlanddive.com/

Auckland has a bunch of great Dive Clubs as well which is worth looking into.

We look forward to seeing you

Cheers
Julia
Northland Dive
Site Sponsor

Postby Andy » Tue May 29, 2012 11:54 pm

Welcome to the forum, though to be honest it is pretty quiet in here these days. Most of the regulars have drifted off in the currents.

You'll find that when you move to NZ that you'll be right at home, there are plenty of ex-pats in the NZ diving scene. Diving is (IMHO) better than the UK, more consistent at least. You might find that charters mostly ignore your solo-certification, either because they don't care and will let you dive solo anyway or because they choose to not recognise it.

There are some tough issues for Brits moving to Auckland. I did it nine years ago and am more than happy to help you adjust. I've got no agenda, drop me a PM if you want any advice on getting to know the city, where to live (and where not to) and where you can go and what you can get up to.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby somethin fishy » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:36 pm

Andy wrote:You'll find that when you move to NZ that you'll be right at home, there are plenty of ex-pats in the NZ diving scene. Diving is (IMHO) better than the UK, more consistent at least. You might find that charters mostly ignore your solo-certification, either because they don't care and will let you dive solo anyway or because they choose to not recognise it.

Or you dont have a card so cant prove it :-p
Andy Stewart
somethin fishy

Postby Andy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:25 pm

I have found your card, Andy! Can drop it off to you one lunch time this week.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby AndrewRawlingson » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:28 am

Thanks all. I had noticed that there isn't a lot of posting going on here, but a useful resource nonetheless!
AndrewRawlingson

Postby Andy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:47 pm

So the move must now be imminent if not already done?
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby AndrewRawlingson » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:33 am

hi Andy. yeah, we've been in Auckland just over a week. arrival was a shock to the system as staying on queen street! I thought we had landed in hong kong by mistake! went in to work two days after arriving for an "induction" and was pretty much expected to start straightaway. the job isn't quite what I expected either, so it's been a bit of a roller coaster!

on the plus side, we are renting a lovely house in kohimarama, virtually on the beach which will be brilliant for sea kayaking. we move in on 1st September. I visited a couple of dive stores yesterday in westhaven, they were friendly and well stocked. I think things will work out here, it'll just take a little time.
AndrewRawlingson

Postby Andy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:23 pm

Yeah, it takes a bit of time. Kohi is nice, though - hope the move went well.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby AndrewRawlingson » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:54 pm

Andy wrote:Yeah, it takes a bit of time. Kohi is nice, though - hope the move went well.

thank you. we're getting there. in the house now. had a couple of nights sleeping on the floor. i must be getting old as not fun any more! anyway, now have a bed and a fridge and not much else!
AndrewRawlingson

Postby divepirate » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:29 am

Welcome to New Zealand and the Scubadive.net.nz forum.
We are working on getting the forum back to its former glory, and I am sure you will see lots of 'New Stuff' popping up.

I am sure you will get to meet some quality divers and make some lifelong friends.
Remember, to get the most out you have put stuff in, so post your dives and trip reports, and make all of those 'armchair divers' jelous.
Matt.
Forum Administrator.

I cant think of anything more relaxing, than being in the downunder, breathing some nice clean fresh filtered 21% nitrox.
divepirate
Forum Administrator

Return to Haere mai!