new diver

Welcome and thank you for joining our forum! Please introduce yourself to us!
PLEASE NOTE YOU HAVE TO REGISTER TO SEE MOST FORUMS.

new diver

Postby sugee » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:59 pm

Hi All,

Just started diving last month with open water course. So far have bought only a semidry suit and thinking of getting other gears. As I have read from others, no rush before getting your first gears.

I've got one story to share about my first open water dive that surely I won't forget for a while. This was my first open water dive outside open water course. It was suppose to be a dive with buddy but his reg hose wasn't up to it so decided that I should go dive myself while he and another mate spear on surface. Going down was a bit nervous since it was so different to diving with the group within course. 16 metres later and it still haven't hit the bottom so decided to go down further. Finally reached the bottom at 20, i know I know I shouldn't go this deep especially on first dive. Then the current down there don't helped as well, I have to sneak behind a big rock to settle down before got my nerve up to navigate around the reef. But boy it wasn't a pleasant dive to be honest. 35-40 minutes later I'm up on the boat again.

Hopefully my next dive would be more fun than my first one :)
sugee

Re: new diver

Postby Phantom Menace » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:32 pm

yeah, be careful, dive with buddies who are competent and don't go it alone.

The whole solo diver thing is definately not for a "first dive out of the course" person. (and even for experienced divers is not something to be trifled with IMO)
Phantom Menace

Postby ChuckyBob » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:17 pm

Agreed. Solo diving is not something you should be doing until you have got plenty of experience and training ( You can self train).

You also need to consider your gear requirements when solo diving. Think about all the things that can go wrong. Not only under the water but on top too! Think about gear redundancy. 2 cutting devices, spare mask, SMB and after a certain depth a redundant gas supply is required.

I certainly wont tell you not to solo dive. I pretty much started solo diving in my first season . But back then I didnt know what I didnt know, if you know what I mean.
ChuckyBob

Postby AndrewRawlingson » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:32 am

As someone who nearly always dives solo, I would agree with the above. It's so much nicer to be with someone else when things go to custard.
AndrewRawlingson

Postby sugee » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:18 pm

yes i'm pretty much going to be buddying up from now on. thanks for the suggestion on gear guys
sugee

Postby divepirate » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:20 am

quick question,
who did you do your dive course with?
Matt.
Forum Administrator.

I cant think of anything more relaxing, than being in the downunder, breathing some nice clean fresh filtered 21% nitrox.
divepirate
Forum Administrator

Postby ChuckyBob » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:39 pm

divepirate wrote:quick question,

Why do you ask? :twisted:
ChuckyBob

Postby ChuckyBob » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:43 pm

Here is my take on the solo diving thing.

Every instructor and agency tell you its not something to be done. But when pushed most instructors admit to doing it them selves.

My guess is that well over 1/3 of divers will solo dive within the first 50 dives.
\How many agencies recognise and allow for this in their training?
ChuckyBob

Postby ChuckyBob » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:51 pm

Because its Friday night.... I have started a poll!!!
ChuckyBob

Postby divepirate » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:40 am

ChuckyBob wrote:
divepirate wrote:quick question,

Why do you ask? :twisted:

Most agencies that teach new divers teach 'pair diving' practices, in that your 'buddy' is your backup in the event of equipment failure.
Diving solo, can be something that is ok for some but not okay for others.

If you are the sort of person who can get stressed about things, then perhaps solo diving is not for you.

Anything that can result in stress can result in poor decision making, leading to a 'cascade failure' where one poor decision can lead to another poor decision, and so on and so on.
When it comes to decision making, you start with a broad range of options, and as you select options the 'next choice' has less options, and so on until you are not left with any choices, but to select what may appear to be the 'only available option'.

Equipment selection helps give us more options to start with, but it is experience that gives us the 'depth of knowledge' in order to help us with decision making.
If your goal is to 'dive solo' ensure your dive career is initially 'paired up' with a well experienced dive buddy, who can help you along the path to where you want to be.
Matt.
Forum Administrator.

I cant think of anything more relaxing, than being in the downunder, breathing some nice clean fresh filtered 21% nitrox.
divepirate
Forum Administrator

Postby sugee » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:36 pm

I am well aware of buddy system, even the course insisted that we buddy up. Lets not named the course provider as this has nothing to do with them. Its mainly personal choice.
sugee

Postby ChuckyBob » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:04 pm

Thanks DP.

I am well aware what most training agencies teach.

I simply dont agree with a lot of it.

Also, they have no control of what a student does once they finish the course. So naming the agency/ instructor is pointless.
ChuckyBob

Postby divepirate » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:28 pm

Question was more aimed at whether it was a sop or independent.
I am having more feedback about independants departing from organisational guidelines.

I too am aware of the things taught in dive courses...
:-)

And yes you are right, about having no control over what people do once they have ticked off all of the training agency boxes.
(the same can be said in regard to firearms licencing and use).
However it is up to the likes of you and other highly experienced divers to assist 'newbees' to find the right people to dive with (post training) and help them in the right direction to gain the right type of experience.
Matt.
Forum Administrator.

divepirate
Forum Administrator

Postby ChuckyBob » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:08 pm

divepirate wrote:However it is up to the likes of you and other highly experienced divers to assist 'newbees' to find the right people to dive with (post training) and help them in the right direction to gain the right type of experience.

How so? I dive for me. Not for "newbees". If I wanted to dive for "newbees" I'd be an instructor. I never wanted to be a dive instructor. I am an instructor in a different area and I highly enjoy it, but I dont think I could stand being a dive instructor.

The issue is that many divers will dive solo even after all agencies teach buddy diving only.
Now I understand why they dont advocate solo diving.... its simply a*** covering.
But perhaps if they did cover a bit of solo diving theory in OW then divers such as Sugee would be much better prepared for the solo dives that they are bound to make.

If you would like an analogy, try no sex before marriage. No need for sex ed if no one has sex before marriage right?
Guess what!
ChuckyBob

Postby sugee » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:42 pm

so on that note who is going out for a dive so I can reap more from other knowledgable folks
sugee

Next

Return to Haere mai!