PADI OWSI seeking work

PADI OWSI seeking work

Postby SamFisherRosen » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:54 am

01/16/15

Hello,

I am a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor (#324409). On January 29th, I will begin a 4-month trip to New Zealand, during which I hope to find some form of temporary employment (paid or unpaid) in the dive industry. My itinerary for the trip is almost entirely open ended in hopes of finding work as a scuba instructor.

I have been diving for the last 9 years and working part-time as a scuba instructor for just under a year. Leading up to my instructor certification, I worked extensively as a divemaster. Most of my work in the dive tourism industry was on Oahu, Hawaii with Island Divers Hawaii.

Unfortunately I’ve been notoriously bad at logging my dives but 1000 dives would probably be a conservative estimate. I have dove in a variety of places: South Africa, Tasmania, all over Australia, Central America, South America, The Virgin Islands, The Bahamas, Florida, Hawaii, and New England. Most of my diving has been done at home in Maine (-1° to 10° C water using a drysuit). I have also done some commercial work and a good deal of research diving on an offshore aquaculture cage.

When I am not working as a scuba instructor, I am a full-time commercial lobster fisherman. I have been lobstering all my life and have experience working in a variety of different fisheries (from atlantic sea scallop to Tasmanian rock lobster). I own and operate a 40’ lobster vessel more than 180 days out of the year. For the rest of the year, I look for work traveling and diving or other marine related activities (recently this meant doing things fishing a season on a rock lobster boat in Tasmania and working as a scuba instructor in Hawaii).

I am happy to work hard whether it be paid or unpaid (if compensated with diving, food, or lodging – almost like a scuba version of WWOOFing). Please let me know if you are at all interested in having me work for you in any capacity. I look forward to speaking with you.

cheers,

Sam Rosen
srosen@coa.edu
SamFisherRosen

Return to Situations / Employment