Looking for SCUBA work

Looking for SCUBA work

Postby schulace123 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:25 am

Hey guys, My roommate and I will be moving to Auckland sometime in late January or early February from the States. I have been diving for around 6 years, and have only about 70 or so logged dives. My first job was diving down in local lakes in Minnesota and removing weeds, I probably had close to 300 or 400 of those dives but unfortunately I never logged those. My roommate on the other hand does not have any dive experience but is looking to start. Anyways, we love to find some work with some local dive shops, anything outside, cleaning etc. I have recently contacted a few shops but have not heard anything back. Any info or leads would help :) . thanks :!:
schulace123

Re: Looking for SCUBA work

Postby divepirate » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:26 am

If anyone knows of a position for this person or roommate, Please send him a private message.

Chris,
all the best, I hope you have a great stay downunder.
If you are looking for someone to dive with please catch up with one of the local clubs such as Dolphin Underwater, Global dive or catch up with some of the people from DIVE HQ.
Matt.
Forum Administrator.

I cant think of anything more relaxing, than being in the downunder, breathing some nice clean fresh filtered 21% nitrox.
divepirate
Forum Administrator

Postby Ali Perkins » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:25 pm

You might find work scrubbing the hulls of boats.
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby schulace123 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:25 pm

Ali Perkins wrote:You might find work scrubbing the hulls of boats.

I would for sure be interested In that....do you know anyone i can contact or somewhere i can look for work like that?

Thanks for the info divepirate
schulace123

Postby Ali Perkins » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:45 pm

Hmmm... wander the marinas? Maybe there are some marina offices you could check in with and offer your services.
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby schulace123 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:50 pm

Very true I will look into that asap thanks a lot....we plan on moving to Auckland but as far as downtown or outside the city we have not decided and don't have much knowledge on that...any reccomendations?
schulace123

Postby ChuckyBob » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:31 pm

If you want to work legally you will need a visa and more than likely have commercial qualifications.

Are you a DM or instructor?
ChuckyBob

Postby schulace123 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:19 am

All the visa stuff has been taken care of....and no I am not a dive master or instructor ...that would be the ultimate goal though
schulace123

Postby ChuckyBob » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:21 pm

schulace123 wrote:All the visa stuff has been taken care of....and no I am not a dive master or instructor ...that would be the ultimate goal though

So legally you can not do any work at all using scuba in NZ. I have been down that path myself.
ChuckyBob

Postby divepirate » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:39 am

In New Zealand, diving (even Hull Scrubbing) can be considered Occupational Diving and as such comes under the HSE Legislation (Health and safety in Employment)

You are required to have a 'medical fitness for diving' and a certificate of competence.
the following link has the full information.

http://www.business.govt.nz/healthandsa ... nal-diving

that being said, there are a number of dive shops that may look to employ an 'assistant' to keep the shop tidy, help with gear washing etc etc.
Matt.
Forum Administrator.

I cant think of anything more relaxing, than being in the downunder, breathing some nice clean fresh filtered 21% nitrox.
divepirate
Forum Administrator

Postby schulace123 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:05 am

ah okay, very good information to know, thanks a lot.
schulace123

Return to Situations Wanted