Top Tech locations in NZ

A discussion on what lies deeper than 40 metres; technical diver training, experiences and recommendations.

Re: Matai Bay Pinnacle

Postby Andy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:00 pm

ScubaDog wrote:
Andy wrote:Matai Bay pinnacle - a beautiful dive when conditions are right.

I agree with Andy, this is a gem of a dive, the pinnacle just breaks the surface and goes down to 50m with several ledges and bommies around the base, outstanding dive, best done off Andre's boat - AtoZ Diving (www.atozdiving.co.nz)

I love Andre's attitude and business model, as well as the dive! A very relaxed day with some beautiful diving. You can't beat it!
Andy
Serial Poster

Re: Top Tech locations in NZ

Postby DeepDiver » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:12 am

Good data on the sites, dudes. Gimme more! Will be looking for some tech buddies soon, and would be great to get the low down on some good sites that we can hit.
DeepDiver

Postby silent solutions » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:23 pm

What area of nz are you looking at??
silent solutions

Postby Mullins » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:04 pm

Hi,

Just joined up, this is a particularly interesting topic for me. Hunter bank was mentioned a couple of pages back, I've dived quite a lot of the reef itself but has anybody had a look around the base of it? I think it's 60-65m on the inside, 80-85m on the outside. There is a particularly sheer drop near the North Eastern corner, a 13m pin that slopes to about 25m then drops almost vertically to 60m. Hoping to check it out when we get some good vis and light currents, it's crap out there now....

Cheers
Mullins

Postby Mullins » Sun May 15, 2011 6:07 pm

Thought I might update this. I got to have a quick look around the edge of Hunters a little while back. Dropped onto the sand in about 60m on the inside, gloomy and fairly dead because it was out of the current. Similar depth around the seaward side was more interesting: big schools of kings, copper and blue moki. Next time I hope to go a bit deeper on the outside and further towards the northern end, maybe in a bit of current.
Mullins

Previous

Return to Technical Diving