Top Tech locations in NZ

A discussion on what lies deeper than 40 metres; technical diver training, experiences and recommendations.

Postby Hybrid » Mon May 07, 2007 10:38 am

aquakiwi wrote:Grouper Rock, Mokohinaus 60+

Miners Reef, 60+ used to be lots of Black Coral,

Simpsons Rock, Mokohinaus, 60+

Sugarloaf, Poor Knights Pinnacles 90+ :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ive never dived the Moke's before, I think I'll head out there soon.

Who do people use to get out there?
Hybrid

Postby Hybrid » Mon May 07, 2007 10:50 am

Martin-PK Divers wrote:As far as i am aware not many people have dived North Reef-just out of the reserve area at the Knights. I seem to recall Llew telling me that Luke Howe has dived it. It's a local fishing hotspot so has a lot of line and rigs strewn about, also some shark action there. Reef starts at around 40m goes down to 100m.
I plan to do that as soon as i am certified and the conditions allow. Quite a current there and i'd wanna do it when the viz is great. Winter.

I'd be keen to dive that. But we'd need to put the anchor right on the top, and there'd be a bit of a hang, if we'd did a descent runtime.

Martin-PK Divers wrote: The 'wreck' at Landing Bay at the Knghts is in around 60-70m. Apparently it's just some rotten timber and the engine block now. Only person i know has dived it is Wade Doak and his 'gang'.

I don't know how keen I'd be to dive on rotten timber and engine block at that depth.
Hybrid

Postby Andy » Mon May 07, 2007 12:00 pm

Martin-PK Divers wrote:As far as i am aware not many people have dived North Reef-just out of the reserve area at the Knights.

I know a couple of people who have dived North Reef, not a spot for the faint hearted by all accounts - currently normally quite strong (maybe even Wellington strong!) and deep. Worth it, though, apparently.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Hybrid » Mon May 07, 2007 12:12 pm

Andy wrote:
Martin-PK Divers wrote:As far as i am aware not many people have dived North Reef-just out of the reserve area at the Knights.

I know a couple of people who have dived North Reef, not a spot for the faint hearted by all accounts - currently normally quite strong (maybe even Wellington strong!) and deep. Worth it, though, apparently.

If we get down there on the slack tide, and do drifting deco, we should be fine :)

i love adventurous dives like that.

There are a few deep reefs out Coromandel way, where the tops comes up to 40m which I've dived, One of them is Cobra Rock. According the chart that I had it came up to 6m, but I found out later that the Navy had pulled the top off it, We couldn't find any Pin, but dived it anyway, the hardest part is getting down there. Beautiful spot, saw a huge school of Barracuda. It was an amazing site, a wall of moving silver.
Hybrid

Postby Azza » Mon May 07, 2007 3:53 pm

As I said to Martin on the weekend...I'M IN :D
Azza

Postby aquakiwi » Mon May 07, 2007 5:37 pm

Hybrid In reply to your query, most of my Mokohinau Dives lately have been with Brian at Goat Island Dive, his new boat will make them in 70min
on a good day. North Reef at the Knights have fond (vivid reoccurring)
memories of being chased from the water by a huge Mako there. Did
a giant stride back into the boat.
aquakiwi
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Martin-PK Divers » Mon May 07, 2007 6:45 pm

Northern Arch. The Northern side.
Erased
Last edited by Martin-PK Divers on Mon May 07, 2007 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Martin-PK Divers

Postby Andy » Mon May 07, 2007 7:08 pm

Another site I like at the Knights is the back side of Ngoio Rock - nice and deep and had some form of pelagic action every time I've dived it.

Oh, by the way Martin, I hope Llew doesn't give any BS about divers sticking to the depth limits that they are trained for.... not when the boss is setting such a bad example!!
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Andy » Mon May 07, 2007 7:20 pm

Martin-PK Divers wrote:We followed our dive plan. My computer at 40+m bleeped for a minute then stopped bleeping, gave me an ascent time of 7 mins and a ceiling of 3m. By the time we had ascended to 5m it gave me a standard safety stop of 3 mins. I spent 8 mins at 5m.

Just read this again, and worked out what was bugging me about it.

You *DIDN'T* follow your dive plan. Your max planned depth was 50m, yet you violated that by diving to 51.6m.....
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Martin-PK Divers » Mon May 07, 2007 7:35 pm

Andy wrote:snip...
Oh, by the way Martin, I hope Llew doesn't give any BS about divers sticking to the depth limits that they are trained for.... not when the boss is setting such a bad example!!

It was our day off. :D
Martin-PK Divers

Postby Xman » Mon May 07, 2007 8:19 pm

Martin-PK Divers wrote:
Andy wrote:snip...

It was our day off. :D

Its up to you if that is the way you want to dive Martin. I would advise against making that sort of practice public in a forum like this though. Your post seems to make light of this dive, but dive plans (or lack thereof) like this, and lack of redundancy/training is what gets divers killed.

[/killjoy]

Glad you had a good dive though.
ImageXman
Forum Moderator
Xman

Postby Martin-PK Divers » Mon May 07, 2007 9:00 pm

I wasn't making light of it. I had redundancy as i had a buddy(for a change) plus a back up depth timer, mask, knife etc. The viz was excellent and there was nil current. Llew is a very experienced bsac/padi diver.

The report is a brief description of my dive as i thought the dive site would interest the tec divers. Sorry if i have 'offended' people. I felt very comfortable doing this dive. I have felt far more worried doing what most would call an 'easy shallow 18m dive' with a buddy i'd never met 5 mins prior to going diving with them. Or with ancient dodgy rental gear in the south pacific islands, where the tiny boat is left to drift and the DM is storming down to 40m when you've only done 8 dives.
Martin-PK Divers

Postby Xman » Mon May 07, 2007 9:26 pm

Martin-PK Divers wrote:I wasn't making light of it. I had redundancy as i had a buddy(for a change) plus a back up depth timer, mask, knife etc. The viz was excellent and there was nil current. Llew is a very experienced bsac/padi diver.

The report is a brief description of my dive as i thought the dive site would interest the tec divers. Sorry if i have 'offended' people. I felt very comfortable doing this dive. I have felt far more worried doing what most would call an 'easy shallow 18m dive' with a buddy i'd never met 5 mins prior to going diving with them. Or with ancient dodgy rental gear in the south pacific islands, where the tiny boat is left to drift and the DM is storming down to 40m when you've only done 8 dives.

Thanks for the clarification. For a 50m dive, I would say that most of us would suggest a redundant air supply of some sort (other than a buddy). My main concern was the appearance that you were blindly following your dive computer as far as surfacing requirements, and that you blew your planned max depth without mention of contingency planning.
I certainly wasn't "offended", its just that as the owner of a dive operation, I think you need to be careful about the message you send to other divers about what is and what isn't sensible diving practice, thats all.
Last edited by Xman on Mon May 07, 2007 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageXman
Forum Moderator
Xman

Postby powley » Mon May 07, 2007 10:16 pm

Xman wrote: Sorry if i have 'offended' people. I felt very , I think you need to be caredul about the message you send to other divers about what is and what isn't sensible diving practice, thats all.

Martin, never be sorry for offending people in here, thats why we come back

X, X, X is that a typo I saw, surely not my friend
death can be fatal
powley

Postby Packhorse » Mon May 07, 2007 10:31 pm

powley wrote:
Xman wrote: Sorry if i have 'offended' people. I felt very , I think you need to be caredul about the message you send to other divers about what is and what isn't sensible diving practice, thats all.

Martin, never be sorry for offending people in here, thats why we come back

X, X, X is that a typo I saw, surely not my friend

Hey! Stop stiring Powley!! Thats my job!! :evil:
Packhorse

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Diving