I'm a tekkie and proud of it!

A discussion on what lies deeper than 40 metres; technical diver training, experiences and recommendations.

Postby Packhorse » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:08 pm

No its space Kat
Packhorse

Postby Azza » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:31 am

Well good onya guys...I hope you enjoy it! I sure enjoyed mine :D
Azza

Postby Andy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:12 pm

Azza wrote:I paid twice what powley is paying. I hope this guy dosnt just teach the minimum. TDI expects there instructors to creat a good course, not follow the uber basic manual

It does sound a bit cheap, and also a bit short.... those are going to be very big days indeed.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby powley » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:22 pm

am gonna need spool and 1 of those marker thingies, recommendations anyone, same applies for what to make a sling with?
death can be fatal
powley

Postby Andy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:33 pm

powley wrote:am gonna need spool and 1 of those marker thingies, recommendations anyone, same applies for what to make a sling with?

Borrow everything. I've got two SMBs and finger spools, don't mind lending you one.

You can also borrow my twins and BP/W if you like.

For a sling, just go to an outdoor shop like Bivouac and buy a few metres of 5mm cord. You just need to protect it with a bit of plastic where you trap it under the jubilee clip.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Packhorse » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:46 pm

Shane said they can provide the slings. I got a spare spool you can use. There is a SMB with a OPV on TM for sale. Could be worth a look.

All I need is a slate.
Space Kat doesnt have twins but hopefully he can hire some or set up some independant doubles. He already has a BP and I can lend him a double wing.
Packhorse

Postby powley » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:49 pm

its a whole new language, have asked mutual friend if she wants to come along as she has said she was keen before, time will tell
death can be fatal
powley

Postby Andy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:49 pm

Packhorse wrote:All I need is a slate.

You'll probably want two... the techie mantra of "two is one, one is none" will probably haunt you.

I've got one of those wrist slates you could have for $5. The velcro strap is horrible, simply designed for people with small arms... but it's got holes in it so you can replace it with bungie. I just ended up buying one with bungie on it when I realised the other one just didn't fit as I was in no position to buy bungie at the time...
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Packhorse » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:57 pm

Actuly I just realised I do have a slate.
One with a revesable plastic slate and a magna doodle thing.
But a wrist slate sounds like a good idea too.
Packhorse

Postby Flipper » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:58 pm

Packhorse wrote:All I need is a slate.

Yup, you'll need 2 slates with the dive plan written on each.

Don't get one with wooden pencils!!! The last 3 pencils I took down to 40+ meters either swelled up so you couldn't take them out of the clip, or if they weren't in a clip swelled up and fell apart. I managed to find one with a plastic pencil with stack of interchangeable tips that works great even when you take it deep.

The plastic flip style slates look a little stupid, but do protect the writing being wiped off during the dive. Wet note are certainly worth a look as well.
Flipper

Postby Andy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:02 pm

Packhorse wrote:But a wrist slate sounds like a good idea too.

Wrist slates are very useful - particularly for tracking and updating run times on the fly. This will make more sense on the course, but if you imagine the dive and decos profile as being a particular depth you need to be at, at a particular time. You calculate these all in advance, but if you cut your bottom time short for any reason, you need to recalculate the run times - much easier on a wrist slate than pulling a slate out of a pocket, using two hands etc.

If you buy a new one, buy the Apollo ones - better, as they use bungie for around the wrist and also to hold the various slate together. the other type, which i've tried to fob off on to you (!), come with a velcro strap that is painful and insecure, and uses o-rings to hold the three slates together - they break way to often, and whilst cheap to replace it's just a pain.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Andy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:04 pm

Flipper wrote:Don't get one with wooden pencils!!! The last 3 pencils I took down to 40+ meters either swelled up so you couldn't take them out of the clip, or if they weren't in a clip swelled up and fell apart.

The other option is the scuba pencil....

http://www.scubapencil.com/

Oh yeah, Packhorse, one of the other advantages of the Apollo wrist slates - the pencils are easier to get out...
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Flipper » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:10 pm

Andy wrote:The other option is the scuba pencil....

http://www.scubapencil.com/

Way cool!!
....and they're rated to 1000m,,, and can do 30 miles of writing per pencil! (I feel bad for the poor pencil tester they used to find out these statistics :shock: )
Flipper

Postby Andy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:12 pm

Flipper wrote:
Way cool!!
....and they're rated to 1000m,,, and can do 30 miles of writing per pencil! (I feel bad for the poor pencil tester they used to find out these statistics :shock: )

They've got a tendancy to snap if you try and use more than half a pencil, but other than that are great.

I know someone who brought a 1000 into NZ, so can get some if wanted. They're made from crushed polystyrene drinks cups...
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Flipper » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:15 pm

I'd be keen on getting a few if possible.
Flipper

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Diving