VRT Sentinel Rebreather

A discussion on what lies deeper than 40 metres; technical diver training, experiences and recommendations.

VRT Sentinel Rebreather

Postby DeepPenetrator » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:15 pm

Does anyone know much about the sentinel rebreathers. I understand they only manufacture the level 3 model now with PIN upgrades on the VRX to use the decompression and mixed gas functions. I heard that there was a integrated CO2 sensor on the unit but am unsure as to whether this is included on the standard level 3 model or only on the expedition unit? Anyone know what the word on these units is? jill heinerth from rebreatherpro.com raves about them but I cant many other user reviews
DeepPenetrator

Re: VRT Sentinel Rebreather

Postby ChuckyBob » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:17 pm

DeepPenetrator wrote:Does anyone know much about the sentinel rebreathers. I understand they only manufacture the level 3 model now with PIN upgrades on the VRX to use the decompression and mixed gas functions. I heard that there was a integrated CO2 sensor on the unit but am unsure as to whether this is included on the standard level 3 model or only on the expedition unit? Anyone know what the word on these units is? jill heinerth from rebreatherpro.com raves about them but I cant many other user reviews

If its anything like the VR3 computer ( or VRx for that matter) run for the hills and dont look back. The computers have shocking user interface and numerous problems ( anyone want to buy my VR3?), Mine has been back to the factory twice for a broke LCD display. Each time it has taken months to repair ( Shearwater will take days to repair) EDIT ( for BB): If it ever needs it. the PC software crashes my PC every time.

The rebreather its self I dont know much about. Personally I think a mCCR is the way to go for a new CCR diver ( perhaps even an old CCR diver). I understand it is the CCR with the lowest Work Of Breathing. rEvo3 is a close second and can be easily service by user. Plus is easily upgradeable by used from mCCR to hCCR/eCCR. But then Im biased. :mrgreen:
ChuckyBob

Postby silent solutions » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:41 pm

I know a few people with them,Most are not that impressed with the nanny style electronics.Which had alot of teething problems.Search on rbw and you will see the good and the bad.
silent solutions

Postby ChuckyBob » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:30 pm

ChuckyBob

Postby binklebonk » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:37 pm

ChuckyBob wrote:http://www.nigelhewitt.co.uk/diving/sentinel/index.html
An interesting read.

Sheesh I'd rather jump in the water with a hairdryer for all the fun that thing sounds like... :lol:
binklebonk

Postby ChuckyBob » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:08 pm

binklebonk wrote:
An interesting read.

Sheesh I'd rather jump in the water with a hairdryer for all the fun that thing sounds like... :lol:

That can be arranged.

To be honest the more I read about eCCR's the less I want to own one. If I was to get one it would have to be a hybrid and run from a Shearwater.
ChuckyBob

Postby DeepPenetrator » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:17 pm

An interesting read.

Well thats the first proper full on review i have read. Kevin Gurr is a good salesman but its handy to read an un-biased opinion like this from an actual owner of one. Pitty the Meg and Hammerhead are too expensive.
DeepPenetrator

Postby binklebonk » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:35 pm

What is it you like about the Meg or HH?
binklebonk

Postby DeepPenetrator » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:13 pm

I like the electronics system on the Hammerhead, but i am no expert here! however i do know the new controllers are on par with the predator and has multi gas full CCR Trimix deco software. They also have a 7.8lb volume scrubber and the whole unit can be run on normal AA batteries so if your away and cant get to a power point or whatever you can easily power the unit. The Meg I like (realistically the COPIS 'lower budget' model) as its quite modular and can be modified as you start doing more extreme diving. It also has some good features like that constant pressure first stage. Im sure your going to tell me how the KISS rates up to them or something along those lines :P But hey im no expert! I have only been researching these units for a couple of weeks.
DeepPenetrator

Postby silent solutions » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:04 pm

How can the meg be expensive,I can get you a full apecs meg and it will cost you including training under $10k AUD.The meg is very very close to the ce stamp and very recent tests on the us navy have this beating all current units on the market.I would expect some good things and announcements to come from the meg camp soon.
silent solutions

Postby ChuckyBob » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:21 pm

DeepPenetrator wrote:They also have a 7.8lb volume scrubber

What tyes of dives do you have planned that require that much sorb?

The Meg I like (realistically the COPIS 'lower budget' model) as its quite modular and can be modified as you start doing more extreme diving.

I dont see the COPIS as the budget model. Its the manual model. It may be cheaper but its not the budget model.
I certainly didnt get a mCCR because of the cost. I brought it because I believe ( for me at least) it makes for a better CCR diver. Most manual units can get to 80 meters out of the box and go much much deeper with out huge or expensive modifications.
It also has some good features like that constant pressure first stage.

Most mCCRs do in fact its a requirement of a CMF valve. Unless they use a needle valve like the Pelagian in which case you can use a compensating reg (and a standard 9v battery for the gauge).

Im sure your going to tell me how the KISS rates up to them or something along those lines :P But hey im no expert! I have only been researching these units for a couple of weeks.

Go the rEvo! 8)
Most efficient scrubber system I know of. 2.7kgs of sorb or 4 kg's with option radial scrubber.
No batteries require for mCCR ( except in PPO monitors which take 2450 cells available at Dicksmiths etc but last years and years)CE rated to 40 meters. Good for 80 meters mCCR stock hCCR tested to 211 meters.
Very easy to set up ( no tools required) strip down and dive.
Upgradable to hCCR/eCCR radial scrubbers etc

I dont see the Meg as expensive either. Rebreathers are actually quite cheap. Whats expensive is all the extras you need.
Tanks
O2 cleaning
computers
training
travel for training
trips to justify the CCR
ChuckyBob

Postby binklebonk » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:52 pm

DeepPenetrator wrote:I like the electronics system on the Hammerhead, but i am no expert here! however i do know the new controllers are on par with the predator
Oh really? I wonder on what points.
They also have a 7.8lb volume scrubber
Doesn't really mean much as there is a scrubber that exists for the KISS classic that has about 16 lbs.. Unless you're doing massive dives what's the benefit?
and the whole unit can be run on normal AA batteries so if your away and cant get to a power point or whatever you can easily power the unit.
A MCCR with user changeable monitor batteries meets the same grid independence criteria.
The Meg I like (realistically the COPIS 'lower budget' model) as its quite modular and can be modified as you start doing more extreme diving.
COPIS does not mean lower budget, it is a different operating principle. That is all.
It also has some good features like that constant pressure first stage.
Common to most MCCRs
Im sure your going to tell me how the KISS rates up to them or something along those lines :P
Well I think it surpasses in a lot of ways, mainly revolving around reliability and simplicity, but we shouldn't base a discussion around what make anyone owns but rather what paradigm (eCCR/HCCR/MCCR) best suits the diver
But hey im no expert! I have only been researching these units for a couple of weeks.
Very few of us are experts, I'm not.

I reckon we oughta start a discussion around the differing operating principles first and we can see what premises you are working with.

What do you see as the drawbacks of eCCR?

What do you see as the drawbacks of MCCR?
binklebonk

Postby Andy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:20 am

If I was to buy an eCCR, I think I would go with the JJ right now.

I like what they've done in terms of taking the electronics out of the loop and also providing redundancy.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby ChuckyBob » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:18 am

Andy wrote:........ and also providing redundancy.

How so?
ChuckyBob

Postby Andy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:43 am

ChuckyBob wrote:
Andy wrote:........ and also providing redundancy.

How so?

The HUD is powered seperately from the solenoid, and the solenoid is powered separately from handset (and HUD). Redundancy may not be the right word, but it's a nice tidy solution, particularly given the fact that none of the electronics is in the loop which should prevent some of the condensation problems common with other eCCR units.

If the handset goes, you can fly it manually off the HUD which is "redundant".
Andy
Serial Poster

Next

Return to Technical Diving