VRT Sentinel Rebreather

A discussion on what lies deeper than 40 metres; technical diver training, experiences and recommendations.

Re: VRT Sentinel Rebreather

Postby ChuckyBob » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:51 am

Ah yes, this is the same with the rEvo and any other Shearwater controlled eCCR.
ChuckyBob

Postby DeepPenetrator » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:24 pm

silent solutions wrote:How can the meg be expensive,I can get you a full apecs meg and it will cost you including training under $10k AUD.The meg is very very close to the ce stamp and very recent tests on the us navy have this beating all current units on the market.I would expect some good things and announcements to come from the meg camp soon.

Ive only been looking in the US, would be interested to hear more. Got any info you can email?
DeepPenetrator

Postby DeepPenetrator » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:29 pm

binklebonk wrote:
DeepPenetrator wrote:I like the electronics system on the Hammerhead, but i am no expert here! however i do know the new controllers are on par with the predator
Oh really? I wonder on what points.
They also have a 7.8lb volume scrubber
Doesn't really mean much as there is a scrubber that exists for the KISS classic that has about 16 lbs.. Unless you're doing massive dives what's the benefit?
and the whole unit can be run on normal AA batteries so if your away and cant get to a power point or whatever you can easily power the unit.
A MCCR with user changeable monitor batteries meets the same grid independence criteria.
The Meg I like (realistically the COPIS 'lower budget' model) as its quite modular and can be modified as you start doing more extreme diving.
COPIS does not mean lower budget, it is a different operating principle. That is all.
It also has some good features like that constant pressure first stage.
Common to most MCCRs
Im sure your going to tell me how the KISS rates up to them or something along those lines :P
Well I think it surpasses in a lot of ways, mainly revolving around reliability and simplicity, but we shouldn't base a discussion around what make anyone owns but rather what paradigm (eCCR/HCCR/MCCR) best suits the diver
But hey im no expert! I have only been researching these units for a couple of weeks.
Very few of us are experts, I'm not.

I reckon we oughta start a discussion around the differing operating principles first and we can see what premises you are working with.

What do you see as the drawbacks of eCCR?

What do you see as the drawbacks of MCCR?

Im thinking long term benefits as in buy once not upgrade in a few years. I'm not one to sit down and discuss the shit out of something on a forum. Ill be passing through wellington just after new years if you would like to talk in real life about it. Really just looking for as much info to make the most informed decision based on the type of diving i see myself doing in the next 5 - 7 years. That should also answer greg's question aswell.
DeepPenetrator

Postby binklebonk » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:41 pm

Cool let me know when you're in town. You're right a forum conversation is pretty shyte compared to realtime dialogue.
binklebonk

Postby Andy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:48 pm

binklebonk wrote:Cool let me know when you're in town. You're right a forum conversation is pretty shyte compared to realtime dialogue.

Though with a bit of coordination, forum conversations could at least involve the synchronised opening of a beer to grease the wheels.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby MarkBallett » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:34 am

Hi there, I have a Sentinel (#204) and have done my MOD2 and have about 90 hours on the unit. I bought it a year ago after coming back from some time in New Zealand - see my various posts from last year on this site. You can find the technical answers here www.technologyindepth.com/sentinelexpedition.html and I have a Sentinel Facebook Group called "Sentinel CCR UK" with 30 or so Sentinel users signed up. You will see that the Expediton is the top speced unit, with a CO2 monitor, but I haven't got one of those yet as they are a bit pricey.

I have no regrets buying one and you should take a look at the James Cameron film Sanctum, filmed in Australia, and coming out in Feb here, as it features them.

If you want to buy one I'd highly recommend Phil Short as an instructor. He's very demanding but as Leigh Bishop introduced him recently at Euro Tek, "the best technical diving instructor in the world". Phil works for VR some of the time and has been very involved in developing the unit and testing it. It was designed and built by Kevin Gurr, who shouldn't need much of an introduction.

I have actually had lots of problems with my unit, in fact, probably more than most. None in the water, but just things breaking during pre dive checks. To my mind it isn't yet as mature a product as an Inspo, but it is getting there. It is however very well made and designed and incorporates a lot of learning from the past twenty years of recreational rebreather use. However, it is now pretty stable and I have just had a great weeks diving with it, in the normoxic range, in Malta with Jack Ingle. Dived the Stubborn and the Poly for the first time which was great.

If you want any other info get in touch.

Mark Ballett
markballett@gmail.com
Mark Ballett
Always Looking to Make Friends and to Find People to Dive With!
markballett@gmail.com
MarkBallett
Lucky Diving Charm

Postby DeepPenetrator » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:28 pm

MarkBallett wrote:Hi there, I have a Sentinel (#204) and have done my MOD2 and have about 90 hours on the unit. I bought it a year ago after coming back from some time in New Zealand - see my various posts from last year on this site. You can find the technical answers here http://www.technologyindepth.com/sentin ... ition.html and I have a Sentinel Facebook Group called "Sentinel CCR UK" with 30 or so Sentinel users signed up. You will see that the Expediton is the top speced unit, with a CO2 monitor, but I haven't got one of those yet as they are a bit pricey.

I have no regrets buying one and you should take a look at the James Cameron film Sanctum, filmed in Australia, and coming out in Feb here, as it features them.

If you want to buy one I'd highly recommend Phil Short as an instructor. He's very demanding but as Leigh Bishop introduced him recently at Euro Tek, "the best technical diving instructor in the world". Phil works for VR some of the time and has been very involved in developing the unit and testing it. It was designed and built by Kevin Gurr, who shouldn't need much of an introduction.

I have actually had lots of problems with my unit, in fact, probably more than most. None in the water, but just things breaking during pre dive checks. To my mind it isn't yet as mature a product as an Inspo, but it is getting there. It is however very well made and designed and incorporates a lot of learning from the past twenty years of recreational rebreather use. However, it is now pretty stable and I have just had a great weeks diving with it, in the normoxic range, in Malta with Jack Ingle. Dived the Stubborn and the Poly for the first time which was great.

If you want any other info get in touch.

Mark Ballett
markballett@gmail.com

Thanks Mark, I have scoured the technologyindepth site already but would be good to talk to an actual owner of one. Will be in touch.
DeepPenetrator

Postby binklebonk » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:14 am

MarkBallett wrote:I have no regrets buying one and you should take a look at the James Cameron film Sanctum, filmed in Australia, and coming out in Feb here, as it features them.

Not exactly an honest representation of them in that film though eh? The footage I've seen of sentinels has actors appearing to happily trot around upright wearing the units! Ready to dive the sentinel weighs how much? About 50 kg?
binklebonk

Postby MarkBallett » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:46 am

binklebonk wrote:
MarkBallett wrote:I have no regrets buying one and you should take a look at the James Cameron film Sanctum, filmed in Australia, and coming out in Feb here, as it features them.

Not exactly an honest representation of them in that film though eh? The footage I've seen of sentinels has actors appearing to happily trot around upright wearing the units! Ready to dive the sentinel weighs how much? About 50 kg?

You're right about the weight. The uit is probaly about 40kg, on it's own, ready to dive. Very heavy out of the water and if you add two 11l ali stages it weighs a ton, but in the water all is fine.

Mark
Mark Ballett
Always Looking to Make Friends and to Find People to Dive With!
markballett@gmail.com
MarkBallett
Lucky Diving Charm

Previous

Return to Technical Diving