Oops!

A discussion on what lies deeper than 40 metres; technical diver training, experiences and recommendations.

Oops!

Postby Cameron_R » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:52 pm

I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to look like that Ali!

Cameron_R

Re: Oops!

Postby ChuckyBob » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:08 am

Wow I am impressed!!!!

Did you get rid of the dust on the sensor? More importantly did you get it back together?
ChuckyBob

Postby Andy » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:52 am

ChuckyBob wrote:Did you get rid of the dust on the sensor? More importantly did you get it back together?

Don't I recall a thread some time ago about G9s where someone said that they were 'uncleanable'????

Good effort, Ali!
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Ali Perkins » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:02 am

Yeah, that camera is not going back together! :shock:

Fortunately, this was my practice run. Daryl (from Northland Dive and Dive HQ Central) kindly donated me a flooded G9.

Unfortunately, because the camera had been flooded, many of the tiny screws were rusted/corroded into place, so I was not able to remove them. It should have been a somewhat simple, go in through the back, remove the sensor to reveal the glass plate underneath that will need cleaning. I eventually got in through the front using brute force!

All of that, just to get to the small glass plate on my finger:
G9-disassembled.jpg

Now this is one cool video... how to clean your Canon G9 sensor
http://www.viddler.com/explore/10frames ... ideos/212/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby NEMES1S » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:30 pm

Mad...and with all these flooded G9s and G10s and G11s it makes you wonder what is wrong with the casings...!!
I personally have seen a few G series cameras buggered by the Canon housings,I will definitely not ever purchase one of the small cases.
Also makes me shudder at the thought of those that dive with the likes of the 7Ds and similar high end DSLRs...man flooding that would hit the wallet fairly hard.
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby Ali Perkins » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:43 pm

Housing floods are frequently user error. Don't assume there's anything wrong with the housings. In this case, a camera wrist strap or some other cord was caught in the housing when it was closed. A couple of minutes in the water and the housing was full. It doesn't take much. Underwater housings can and do work very well most of the time, you only hear the horror stories.
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Andy » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:08 pm

NEMES1S wrote:Mad...and with all these flooded G9s and G10s and G11s it makes you wonder what is wrong with the casings...!!

Like Ali said, there's probably nothing wrong with the housings at all.

I guess there seem to be a lot of "flooded G9s", or at least more than any other camera, because there are more people using them?

I flooded my Sea&Sea several years ago (ironically, whilst teaching a U/W digital photography course... :oops: ) and it was 100% user error. I still use the same housing with the same o-ring now.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby ChuckyBob » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:48 pm

I agree it's almost always user error or lack of maintenance. Like all gear they do need servicing from time to time.

Regardless It pays to have good insurance.
ChuckyBob

Postby petemes » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:31 pm

Wow Ali,

I have to say that I could easily pull something apart in a few seconds............ But putting it back together again (with ALL the pieces) and getting it to function is another story.

Hope you are happy enough with it for the Kermadecs!!!!!

Not long now!

Pete
"A little less talk a little more action" Elvis Presley
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby Ali Perkins » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:51 pm

Well, I decided to pull my G9 apart and have a go at cleaning the glass filter in front of the sensor. It was quite a mission. I mean, do they really need to glue the sensor in?!

This is the dust on the filter BEFORE.

Before-G9.jpg

This is the dust on the filter AFTER.

After-G9.jpg

So that SUCKS! Maybe if I can be inspired I'll take another go tomorrow. Although it does seem to be inviting disaster to be opening up your camera a few days before departing for the Kermadecs.

On the plus side, cleaning the filter on my Canon EOS300D SLR camera was much more successful.

BEFORE

Before-300D.jpg

AFTER

After-300D.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby petemes » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:25 pm

Have you got a back up underwater camera Ali?

You probably want to have a camera that you are confident is going to work. OR you can be a model and be in ALL my pictures!!!!

Not long now. Looking forward to it.

Pete
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby Ali Perkins » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:09 pm

Tempting as modelling for PeteMes might be, I thought I'd have another go at cleaning the filter on my Canon G9. Afterall, only 2 days until the Kermadecs. What can possibly go wrong? :shock:

This was the black spot I was left with after the last cleaning job.

After-G9.jpg

Cleaning the tiny piece of glass is really tricky. Every time you touch it, it gets dirtier than it was before you opened the camera! But this time I had more success. Yay!

G9-2nd-Time-Lucky.jpg

Off to the airport to pick up my brother. Guess I should try using all the camera functions later to make sure I put the camera back together right. At least I didn't have any leftover screws! :D
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby petemes » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:43 pm

GOOD WORK Ali!!!!

Pete
petemes
Site Sponsor

Return to Technical Diving