rate of wreck dives in NZ

Most divers love 'em! Which ones, where, how deep?

Postby Packhorse » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:28 am

Looks like it is east of Picton which is at the top of the South Island
Packhorse

Postby plumb bob » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:38 am

From Picton drive to Waikawa (follow the signs from Picton).

Keep going on Waikawa rd till it turns into Port Underwood rd and you'll see a huge layby on the left with big sign saying Karaka point, park here and carry all your gear down a delightful :p track to the sea....

Swim out to the bouy, get a compass bearing back to Picton and follow that once your under.. (a horizontal distance of about 30m I think....)

:D
Account deactivated by administrator
plumb bob
Banned

Postby Jamie » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:00 pm

FYI
DD's pict shows Karaka Pt is located in The Queen Charlotte Sound near Picton. This is the top of the NZ's South Island.

Its a lovely area for those who haven't been there.
Jamie

Postby Milky » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:20 pm

thx 4 that guys.i understand now y i just heard about it. i think it's because this wreck is so close to lermontov that it is over shadowed by every wreck divers enthusiast. if the wreck were in rotorua area probably it would be a number one dive spot in the area.
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby Space Kat (=^.^=) » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:41 pm

Packhorse wrote:I have only done 3 so far. In order of enjoyment...

Waikato
F69 Wellington
Tui

next on my list is

Rainbow Warrior on the Decenber SODS trip
Lermintov on next years SODs trip.
Cantebury

Maybe we need to orgainse a SODs trip for the Cantebury too??

Definitley keen to do that one!
Space Kat (=^.^=)

Postby Hybrid » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:29 pm

I'd have to rank the Lermontov as the best wreck dive in the country. Firstly, the depth, nice and shallow - perfect for Nitrox and twin-sets, long run times. Secondly, It wasn't sunk on purpose, was there is everything left in it. Thirdly: Its scary and can be dangerous :)

Waikato, and just been beaten by the Canterbury IMO. Waikato, is broken just before the bridge, and there is often limited vis, and its very exposed to the weather. The Canterbury, is sitting perfectly upright, in a very calm cove, where the vis often is 20-30m. Its even better for techie's too, as the bow is in about 35m and the stern in about 38m, so a great training ground for deco diving.

The Tui is a bit of mess, and nothing much to rave about IMO.

haven't dived the Wellington, but I can't see it being better than the Canterbury.

The Rainbow Warrior is great dive, but there only limited penetration.
Hybrid

Postby Packhorse » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:26 pm

Space Kat (=^.^=) wrote:
Definitley keen to do that one!

Better put your name down then aye :lol:
http://sods.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=90
Packhorse

Postby petemes » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:10 pm

Just for your personal information John Chatterton, Richie Kohler and Leigh Bishop rate the Lermontov as one of their top 5 dives in the world and these boys have been around.

As for my best wreck dive in NZ? I will tell you when I have dived them all! I strongly recommend to all that have an incling of interest in NZ wrecks to get Ingrams shipwrecks of NZ 5th edition. You wont believe how many wrecks are in NZ. Then, GO AND FIND THEM and dive them!!!!!

Just came back from another three day trip to the Lermi, heading back feb, then april then Oct.

Pete
"A little less talk a little more action" Elvis Presley
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby DiveDiva » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:27 pm

petemes wrote:
As for my best wreck dive in NZ? I will tell you when I have dived them all! I strongly recommend to all that have an incling of interest in NZ wrecks to get Ingrams shipwrecks of NZ 5th edition. You wont believe how many wrecks are in NZ. Then, GO AND FIND THEM and dive them!!!!!

Pete

I just got the 8th edition and it's wicked!! There are over 2000 wrecks in NZ waters!!!
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby petemes » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:50 pm

Errrrr, sorry the 8th! Yeah, a lot more work has gone into upgrading the book to include up to date information and also new wrecks.

Pete

DiveDiva wrote:
petemes wrote:

Pete

I just got the 8th edition and it's wicked!! There are over 2000 wrecks in NZ waters!!!
"A little less talk a little more action" Elvis Presley
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby Milky » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:23 pm

petemes wrote:Errrrr, sorry the 8th! Yeah, a lot more work has gone into upgrading the book to include up to date information and also new wrecks.

Pete

DiveDiva wrote:
petemes wrote:

Pete

So where can we get this book?

Alive to Dive
Milky

Re: rate of wreck dives in NZ

Postby Mykl » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:47 pm

Karaka Point is a couple of kilometres north of Waikawa Bay just out of Picton in the South Island of New Zealand.

We dived on it as part of our Open Water Course a couple of years ago and I dived it again on Wednesday (28/04/10). I think there is only one conga eel resident now (Boris), but viz was poor on Wednesday and I didn't see him.
Life is a sexually transmitted, terminal disease
Mykl

Previous

Return to Wreck Diving