Taking artefacts

Most divers love 'em! Which ones, where, how deep?

Re: Taking artefacts

Postby ChuckyBob » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:39 am

Thnaks.

What is involved in the treatment and how long does it take?
ChuckyBob

Postby petemes » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:57 am

ChuckyBob wrote:Thnaks.

What is involved in the treatment and how long does it take?

Dont really know much about treatment of artifacts so its sitting in water till I can get someone to have a look at it.

regards

Pete
"A little less talk a little more action" Elvis Presley
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby ChuckyBob » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:03 pm

Just read a few very good threads on this kind of thing. I'd post a link but I have already been told off for that this week. PM me if you are interested.

What about the Port Kemblar bell? Wouldnt you just do the same as you did for that?
ChuckyBob

Postby ChuckyBob » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:05 pm

petemes wrote: I actually assisted in keeping the bell from the lermi from going to Oz and will end up in a museum in NZ
Pete

Hi Pete,

The subject of the bell came up today, Just wondering what the state of the bell is at the mo and what museum it is in?
ChuckyBob

Postby petemes » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:46 pm

Hi Greg,

To be honest the bell is sitting in fresh water being changed every week. been too busy to get anything sorted. Also I am a little skint at the mo to get it restored. So its lying in purgatory. I thought long and hard about which museum it would be best suited. but then again the more I learn about museums the harder it is to make that decision. its choosing a place where it will be permanently shown, not sitting in a box in the back of the museum for the next 10 years.

ChuckyBob wrote:
petemes wrote: I actually assisted in keeping the bell from the lermi from going to Oz and will end up in a museum in NZ
Pete

Hi Pete,

The subject of the bell came up today, Just wondering what the state of the bell is at the mo and what museum it is in?
"A little less talk a little more action" Elvis Presley
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby Drip » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:49 am

petemes wrote:not sitting in a box in the back of the museum for the next 10 years.

Thats how the Queensland Govt has all of Ben Cropp's confiscated stuff. Reckon they've sold off half of it for their own profiteering.

I personally think all such artifacts, debris and collectables would be far more useful in a Museum.
petemes wrote:I thought long and hard about which museum it would be best suited.

Of course, a Museum totally dedicated to ....the Underwater World, would be choice.
I think in Sydney (pronounce: Shit-ney) the Maritime Museum has a sense of dedication, but it doesn't quite deal with 'underwater' stuff and the Scuba to go with it.
So something like the Maritime Museum would be good, along with a lot of aquarium stuff as part of the scenery, throw in all the 'wreck artifacts' and top it off with Scuba history and even a good section for submersibles and their discoveries. Make as much as possible 'interactive' for the visitors, especially the school kids when they arrive on their excursions because this is an important moment if you want future scuba divers, marine biologists, etc (I was told I was ADD at school, but they never paid attention to the fact that I only ever paid attention to 'School Excursions', hence why I wagged every now and then for my own excursion, besides going to Libraries to "get a real education"). To put the icing on the cake, make me the Curator :wink: :lol:
Drip

Previous

Return to Wreck Diving