What a waste of a potentially good dive site

Most divers love 'em! Which ones, where, how deep?

Re: What a waste of a potentially good dive site

Postby binklebonk » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:10 am

There's a POC blue and white trawler that is AFAIK due to be scuttled...
binklebonk

Postby NEMES1S » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:24 am

binklebonk wrote:There's a POC blue and white trawler that is AFAIK due to be scuttled...

Is that the one at Miramar Wharf...??
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby gingerninja » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:00 pm

I know of twos boat that are now redundant after very brief careers. Maybe if you ask nicely?

Willie Apiata is the reason why Osama is hiding.
gingerninja

Postby NEMES1S » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:02 pm

gingerninja wrote:I know of twos boat that are now redundant after very brief careers. Maybe if you ask nicely?

Nah there is enough plastic in the oceans.. :lol:
NEMES1S

Postby binklebonk » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:14 pm

NEMES1S wrote:
binklebonk wrote:There's a POC blue and white trawler that is AFAIK due to be scuttled...

Is that the one at Miramar Wharf...??

I can't see anything moored there.. Must have been a short visit..
binklebonk

Postby ChuckyBob » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:29 pm

NEMES1S wrote:Hell I know a lot of Welly divers that would have gone all out to fund-raise and make such a vessel into a dive site....and the group we have in Wellington could definitely be quite a force to be reckoned with..!!

Nem, do your self a huge favour and contact Shane and Julia @ Northland dive and find out how much work and how many $$ it took to prepare the Canterbury.
The $30 k figure mentioned before will look like small change.
ChuckyBob

Postby NEMES1S » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:39 pm

ChuckyBob wrote:
NEMES1S wrote:Hell I know a lot of Welly divers that would have gone all out to fund-raise and make such a vessel into a dive site....and the group we have in Wellington could definitely be quite a force to be reckoned with..!!

Nem, do your self a huge favour and contact Shane and Julia @ Northland dive and find out how much work and how many $$ it took to prepare the Canterbury.
The $30 k figure mentioned before will look like small change.

Oh I don't doubt its a shitload...but I want to know at least I have done my part in at least trying to get them before they send them off to the blue depths to be come completely worthless.

If we can pay $200k for no drinking signs in Wellington surely we could with enough support get at least another dive able wreck..
NEMES1S

Postby ChuckyBob » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:02 pm

NEMES1S wrote:If we can pay $200k for no drinking signs in Wellington surely we could with enough support get at least another dive able wreck..

Problem is public drinking is a problem that effects many.
Another diveable wreck benefits very few and those that would get the most out of it are commercial entities. EG dive shops.

Not to mention it does nothing at all to solve the problem many have stated in this thread. Its polluting the ocean. In fact it may be worse since it is closer to the shore and a lot shallower.
ChuckyBob

Postby binklebonk » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:53 pm

Why for the love of all that is wet do we no longer have the ability to delete our own posts!!!! FFS we used to be able to and now the ratio of pointless shyte to worthwhile crap will skyrocket.. Well from my end at least.. :oops:

So now whenever we want to delete ramblings we have to leave some sort of trail?
binklebonk

Postby ChuckyBob » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:02 pm

That'll learn ya! ( No it wont!)

It only appears to be in some forums. Why? Zues only knows.
ChuckyBob

Postby Jason » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:09 pm

binklebonk wrote:So now whenever we want to delete ramblings we have to leave some sort of trail?

Probably because the ratio of ramblings upon this Forum compared to other Forums (like Dive Oz :roll: ) is minimal.

...now, did I mention how using old ships/boats to be dumped under the guise of Artificial Reefs, for nothing more than Dive Sites - leaves the doorway wide open for others to justify dumping old boats/ships/rubbish. :P
Just drifting along with whatever is current.
Currently I'm reading : The Art of Innovation by Tom Kelley.
Jason

Postby gingerninja » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:32 am

In that stuff article it says "There had been calls for the boat to be used as a dive attraction in shallow water off Wellington's south coast, but the proper resource consents were not approved. "

So it appears somebody did try, but failed to get a resource consent to dump tonnes of steel close to shore.

I wonder if the Wellington Regional Council granted themselves a Resource Consent to dump it further out?
Willie Apiata is the reason why Osama is hiding.
gingerninja

Postby Phantom Menace » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:10 am

That boat had been on the (national) news a few times as being an eyesore that they were trying to get rid of. I saw these from Auckland so I imagine there would have been more local Wellington press coverage over the years (it has been years) and yes, the news coverage has mentioned other boats that are also sitting around.

On the wreck front - so it is polluting when it is stripped and dumped in a deep trench and it is not polluting when it is stripped, made safe for divers to swim through, and dumped near the shore? The logic doesn't quite follow on the polluting vs. not polluting front. The pollution caused should be the same in either case (assuming the vessel is cleaned out to the same standard - which may well be a rash assumption) - or, as has been mentioned, possibly more effective pollution from an inshore wreck.

Be careful of double standards ...

Anyway, guess you all know what I think from earlier posts (and I do like to test logic at times :) )
Phantom Menace

Postby Discus » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:41 am

I wouldn't worry at this stage about obtaining a boat, there would be a fair bit of other work to be done first and everything takes longer than you think.

Someone said previously to talk to the Northland guys about cost etc, also be worth talking to Marco Zeeman who sunk the F69.

One of the first things you have to figure out is where you would put a new wreck, you can probably forget the Marine reserve but it might be worth asking DOC the question.
Discus

Postby binklebonk » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:43 am

Discus wrote: you can probably forget the Marine reserve but it might be worth asking DOC the question.

Well it may have been pointless a while ago but now everything is up for sale in "Themepark NZ" you could probably apply for a concession to do whatever the feck you want.. :roll:
binklebonk

Previous

Return to Wreck Diving