SS Maranui

Most divers love 'em! Which ones, where, how deep?

SS Maranui

Postby MikeS » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:56 am

One of the guys asked about the Maranui the other night. She was a coastal freighter that took on water in heavy seas and sank somewhere off Gt Mercury Island in 1968. Anyone know anything about her? Coords, depth? Is she divable/worth diving. I'm picking she will be outside of my depth range but may be ok for the trimix boys and girls. Cheers
MikeS

Re: SS Maranui

Postby Andy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:03 pm

Not sure of the location myself, but there's a good write up of the details of the wreck in NZ Shipwrecks.

The cause of the loss was shifting cargo and water getting into the double hull through pipes that hadn't been closed - not sure whether that was determined by inspection of the wreck or by interviews with the survivors?
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby nickd » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:05 am

Andy wrote:Not sure of the location myself, but there's a good write up of the details of the wreck in NZ Shipwrecks....

Bit off topic, but if this is the book you are referring to, I picked up a copy yesterday from Capital Books in Featherston St, Wellington for $25. There were a couple more copies there if anyone is interested.
nickd

Postby MikeS » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:30 pm

nickd wrote: There were a couple more copies there if anyone is interested.

Thanks. I think I will.
MikeS

Postby Andy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:36 pm

nickd wrote:
Andy wrote:Not sure of the location myself, but there's a good write up of the details of the wreck in NZ Shipwrecks....

Bit off topic, but if this is the book you are referring to, I picked up a copy yesterday from Capital Books in Featherston St, Wellington for $25. There were a couple more copies there if anyone is interested.

Yeah, that's the one. The first edition was hard to find, but a second edition was released a couple of years ago. It's a great resource.
Andy
Serial Poster

Return to Wreck Diving