Diving trips in Taupo/Waikato River

Got something to say but don't know where to put it? Post it here!!

Diving trips in Taupo/Waikato River

Postby Rose » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:50 am

Hi everyone, I am hoping for some advice - I am looking to do some diving around Taupo sometime between 7-9th of January 2014. What I'm really keen to do is a drift dive in the Waikato river and/or maybe in lake Taupo.

I understand there isn't anyone in Taupo operating trips - does anyone know of a club/other trip or buddy up system to do this kind of diving? Ideally it would be with someone who knows the dive sites in the area - having talked to a dive shop in Taupo it sounds like the Waikato river is flowing pretty fast at the moment.

I've done about 24 dives so far, have my own gear including a tank, am advanced open water and haven't done altitude or drift diving before. Thanks - I would be really grateful for tips!!
Rose

Re: Diving trips in Taupo/Waikato River

Postby ChuckyBob » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:09 pm

Hi Rose,

Are you diving by yourself or do you have a buddy?

drift dive is quite straight forward. Get in at Cherry(?) farm and get out before Huka falls ( quite important). Its pretty hard to miss the exit as it gets shallow. Although the few times I have done it I ended up doing the last part on the surface and enjoying the view. You cant get verry deep in the river so I wouldnt worry about the altitude.
ChuckyBob

Re: Diving trips in Taupo/Waikato River

Postby Ali Perkins » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:40 am

With the Waikato drift dive I would be mindful of the danger of being pinned against obstacles (tree branches etc) by the flow. I wouldn't do that dive solo if I were you.
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Return to All Things Diving