How long before your first solo dive?

Got something to say but don't know where to put it? Post it here!!

How many dives before you did you first solo dive?

1-10 dives
25%
11-20 dives
No votes
21-50 dives
38%
51-100 dives
No votes
101+ dives
38%

Total votes : 8

How long before your first solo dive?

Postby ChuckyBob » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:47 pm

How many dives did you do before you did a solo dive?

Please include dives where you started with a buddy but ended up solo at the end (assuming you didn't ascend to find them like you are taught to in OW.

Thanks!
ChuckyBob

Re: How long before your first solo dive?

Postby binklebonk » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:43 am

Was ages before I dived solo, but haven't since getting a breather.

So all up I've only done maybe a dozen solo dives.

I prefer diving with people.
binklebonk

Postby mattoau » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:15 pm

Approx 120 dives iirc, back in 2008. I've probably done in excess of 200 since then.
mattoau

Postby AndrewRawlingson » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:05 pm

Around 200 dives after time misspent as a dive guide when I realized that getting in to the water with certain people was far more dangerous than getting in to the water alone. In the UK, where visibility is often less than 5 metres and quite frequently less than a metre, if you want to buddy effectively then you need to be watching each other constantly, not for me, although plenty of UK divers will disagree. Also, I often get too obsessed with a camera to be a very good buddy. I've done a solo diver course and usually dive with redundant everything.
AndrewRawlingson

Postby rambaldi » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:43 pm

Missing the obvious "don't solo/haven't yet" I am sure it will end up happening at some point for what ever reason but it hasn't happened yet.
rambaldi

Postby ChuckyBob » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:49 pm

rambaldi wrote:Missing the obvious "don't solo/haven't yet" I am sure it will end up happening at some point for what ever reason but it hasn't happened yet.

Just tick 101+
It may not happen over night. But it will happen. :lol:
ChuckyBob

Postby Phantom Menace » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:28 am

One question and I have 3 answers ...

1. For me SCUBA diving my first "solo" dives were the almost traditional "lost track of buddy" scenario before a "planned separation" type of scenario a few dives later. This was around 20+ years ago.

2. For breathhold spearfishing my first "solo dive" was my 2nd ever spearfishing dive - in the shallows (max 10m) swimming along a piece of coast. Now I restrict my spearfishing depths while solo to less than 15 - 18m and avoid pushing the breath hold time e.g. if I have decided to return to the surface and then see something interesting I don't turn round and go back down. (with a 20m floatline your are unlikely to actually be able to dive to 20m as the line float is hardly ever directly above you).

If I am doing spearfishing depths over 20m I always have at least one buddy with me - 2 buddies is a better number. WIth me + 2 buddies we practice the "1 down 2 up" dive pattern with one explicitly watching your dive and the other breathing up to get ready for their dive (although in poor vis we will end up watching the floatline and monitoring dive times as we may not be able to see the diver).

3. For proper free-diving I never do it alone and always use the float, diveline, base plate and lanyard together with a buddy safety diver.
Phantom Menace

Return to All Things Diving