Adventure Activity Safety Audit

Got something to say but don't know where to put it? Post it here!!

Adventure Activity Safety Audit

Postby ChuckyBob » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:22 pm

Perhaps someone from NZUA would like to explain the system and how its going to work, and what it means to the divers?
ChuckyBob

Re: Adventure Activity Safety Audit

Postby DiveDR » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:11 am

Are you stirring things up Greg :twisted:
www.divedoctor.co.nz - everything diving
DiveDR

Postby ChuckyBob » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:58 pm

No, Im genuinely interested in how it will affect the end user ( me).

Obviously it is going to cause huge headaches for the operators and at the same time increase their costs.

This is going to cause a trickle down effect.
Charter costs will increase, if divers are not prepared to pay the increased costs then charters may end up weighing anchor for the final time.
I have also been told that if I want to do certain things during a dive I must take a certain course or I will not be allowed to do those things. While on some level I can understand it ( for the activity mentioned) I wonder how far it could be stretched.

Could we soon be looking at compulsory drysuit courses?(Does not apply if your dry suit leaks) What about Hunter gatherer courses?

Is some knob end going to dictate compulsory snorkel on every dive like they do in Queensland?

What issues will this solve?
What is NZUAs stand on this? Do they support it or are they force to go along for the ride?
ChuckyBob

Postby divepirate » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:47 am

Hmmm...
I think all of the dive operators in the country are saying the same things..

NZUA has been talking to MBIE and have been working toward getting audit approval (no-one knows diving like divers), and after a lengthy process it is not clear whether NZUA will be able to do the audits, but may be able to assist in audit preparation for compliance.

There have been rumors about whether to audit 'everything' from shop operations to the dive sites themselves, which NZUA has pointed out is idiotic, as the site changes with conditions and based on the type of diving and places that are dived, it would almost mean creating an audit for the entire coastline...

The audits will happen, there is nothing we can do to avoid this, it is not being driven by NZUA, it is being driven by a government, that is paranoid about tourists that have died doing high risk outdoor activities.
This is a response to those parents and families that have lost members in NZ, and have pointed the finger saying that NZ is a dangerous place to visit.

There will for the end user diver be an increased cost of things such as airfils, dive equipment and other services provided by dive shops as they have to recover costs which they are forced to submit to by the auditors.
This will also be reflected in the services that are provided by Charter Boats, as they offer to take divers out, and in some cases provide air fills (which may not be currently audited).

I am certain NZUA will be supporting dive shops as much as possible.
I have no doubt this might be the straw that breaks the camels back for some of the smaller operators.
Matt.
Forum Administrator.

I cant think of anything more relaxing, than being in the downunder, breathing some nice clean fresh filtered 21% nitrox.
divepirate
Forum Administrator

Postby ChuckyBob » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:35 pm

Thanks for the reply DP.

On another forum, on another topic this comment was posted...
Bloody Queenslanders...

Where else in the world do you HAVE to dive your CCR with a snorkel and can only dive a ccr on a boat if you have a nitrox certified dive supervisor aboard?

Is this the type of idiotic regulations that we could end up with?
ChuckyBob

Postby mattoau » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:20 pm

I've worked for several companies in various locations on the GBR, and I've never applied most of these "laws" that get stated around the net and only experienced them a couple of times. The biggest concern was making sure that everyone had a safety sausage and whistle, and these were provided at no charge in all cases. Snorkels were recommended but not mandatory for certified divers using their own equipment, but all hire masks came with an attached snorkel. Students were required to have snorkels but that was more of an agency standards thing.

To be honest I saw too much mollycoddling and BS on the reef, and as supervisor would rather loosen up the reins a little. I've seen people omit safety stops just to make sure they didn't get a criminal record for being on the surface with less than 50bar, and that I believe is more likely to cause an issue than not having a snorkel. I've also witnessed a 60+ minute safety brief for certified divers!
mattoau

Postby ChuckyBob » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:57 am

So is the snorkel rule not really a rule?

If it is a rule and the dive supervisor/Master does not enforce it, will they then be liable for prosecution in the even of a fatality?
ChuckyBob

Postby mattoau » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:09 pm

It is a recommendation rather than a rule, and the code of conduct is worded as 'should' rather than 'must' have a snorkel.

Now how that relates to liability is a lengthy topic, and why the lawyers earn the big bucks. And personally I would be quite happy to sign a release so I don't have to dive with the damn things.
mattoau

Return to All Things Diving