Recent discovery of ice age skeleton

Got something to say but don't know where to put it? Post it here!!

Recent discovery of ice age skeleton

Postby sugee » Sun May 18, 2014 11:32 pm

In case anyone keen to find out more about this, NatGeo have a short doco on cave diver who discover this. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... chaeology/
sugee

Re: Recent discovery of ice age skeleton

Postby binklebonk » Mon May 19, 2014 9:45 am

Ali Perkins and Cameron Russo on this forum have personal experience with this cave system.
binklebonk

Postby Ali Perkins » Mon May 19, 2014 1:16 pm

The discovery is not too recent. The cave was explored and skeleton discovered in 2007. But the article about the discovery was only published in Science last week.

Cameron and I didn't have anything to do with the skeleton of Naia personally. We worked with the team studying and working on her, to do a lot of mapping of the cave tunnels around Hoyo Negro. We made some animal skeleton discoveries of our own and I did some photo documentation for the team.

It was a privilege to be involved in such an important and cool project with an amazing team. Stay tuned, because I have no doubt that there will be many more discoveries announced from this location in future. It's an epic archaeological site!
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby binklebonk » Tue May 20, 2014 10:36 pm

So deeply jealous!!
binklebonk

Postby sugee » Wed May 21, 2014 10:38 am

Yep same here. How did you get involved with something cool like this Ali?
sugee

Postby Ali Perkins » Wed May 21, 2014 5:56 pm

I am a GUE-trained cave diver, which allowed me to slot in with the team who all have GUE* training. I spent a lot of time cave diving and frequented the dive shop also used by the team (Zero Gravity in the Riviera Maya in Mexico). This allowed me to meet the team members. I did some non-project-related cave diving with one of the team members and I guess I proved my abilities in the water, and above. I am comfortable cave diving with four tanks, performing tasks under water and doing four hour cave dives. Being available and in the right place at the right time scored me an invitation to help out on the project. What started as a couple of days work from project to project eventually grew into several weeks of helping out.

The GUE team approach to diving allowed us to achieve amazing things with the Hoyo Negro team. We could swap tasks and dive teams around as required. The quality and amount of work achieved, in a difficult location, has been amazing. It was hard work and long days but immensely rewarding.

While the project has attracted some funding from the likes of National Geographic and the Waitt Foundation, Cameron and I funded our participation personally (we supplied our own gear, tanks, gas etc). It has been a privilege and great experience to work with such accomplished divers doing important archaeological work. Oh the things I have seen. :shock: 8)

* GUE = Global Underwater Explorers
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby diveforlife » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:40 pm

I'm so jealous and most of all, so happy for you. Being part of such discovery is something any individual would be proud of because it's a feat that not all people can achieve in their lifetime.
The world's best and most trusted discount scuba equipment retailer.
diveforlife

Return to All Things Diving