What Have I been missing

Got something to say but don't know where to put it? Post it here!!

What Have I been missing

Postby Milky » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:34 am

Ok,

Now I am trying to get back to diving as much as possible after 3 years or so of not diving. Over that period, I had just notice changes in the diving industries in NZ including gears. Here are some changes so far i Noticed (please do add if you think there are other changes over the time period I had not notice) :

1. More LDS are opening such Adiveshop in South Auckland, but also some had closed down such as Diveshack and New Lynn DiveHQ ( so sad to hear dive shops are closing)
2. Dive gears seems to be more competitive in pricing, maybe because now they have to compete with online shops.
3. Lots of drysuit already comes in cuff rings
4. Tiny dive vdo camera which is just what many divers need (IMHO) such as Go Pro, Intova,etc
5. Sea wing fins as something new. Dont know if they are any good or not.
6. So many brands of drysuit now and I think the price is not as high as what it used to be

hhhmmm...I couldnt think anymore new....
Alive to Dive
Milky

Re: What Have I been missing

Postby Ali Perkins » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:49 am

You did miss one thing Milky... there's a new website. :-)

http://www.inspiredtodive.com

https://www.facebook.com/InspiredToDive

Welcome back!
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Milky » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:04 pm

Thanks for showing me the link. Awesome pics although I don't know anything about nudibranch. You should go to Indonesia as Indonesia has the largest variation of fish in the world (this is what I was told), but I don't know about nudibranch.
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby rambaldi » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:46 pm

I saw my first Nudi on a trip to the Knights last year thanks to my buddy pointing them out, after that I was a bit better at spotting them :p it is quite fun once you get the hang of it.
rambaldi

Postby Milky » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:09 pm

another one I found about new stuff. it is the drysuit plastic Tizip. dont know if anyone had replaced its old drysuit zip with this plastic one in NZ.
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby Ali Perkins » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:14 pm

Cameron Russo has one.

http://www.InspiredToDive.com
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Milky » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:40 am

How did Cameron find that plastic zipper?

My drysuit zipper started to fray and bit of leak, so eventually I need to replace them (I want to replace it asap but shortages of $$). I am looking at the plastic one as it does not fray on the thread overtime as it does not have any threads (I think because I had not seen it closely).

Regards,
Milky
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby ChrisB » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:32 pm

Did the Tizip come with Cams latest drysuit?? Do you know what it would cost to replace one? methinks the zipper on my suit may be leaking also...
Sometimes I think I understand EVERYTHING ---- then I regain consciousness
ChrisB

Postby Milky » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:15 pm

I heard from drysuit repairers down here that many of this Tizip zipper needs fixing. But this is ironic compare to posts I read about them overseas that actually complements these Tizips. Maybe because it is new and has not been proven that they can last as long as the metal ones (i think the meatl ones last about 5-10 yrs on average if you take good care of them). I think Tizip is about 4 years old.

saying this, still I would prefer to have Tizip on mine when I have the $ to fix it.
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby Ali Perkins » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:04 pm

The tizip did not come with Cameron's suit. He had it put in when having a leaky steel tooth zip replaced.

Zip replacements are expensive. Can't recall what it cost but it was done in Florida so probably not that relevant here anyway. I wouldn't expect to get one done for less than NZ$400.

The tizip (plastic teeth) have worked great for Cameron, but he has had issues with the zip leaking where it has been installed into the drysuit itself. As I see it this is not an issue with the zip itself. It could be that these zips are not easy to install.

I've never got 5-10 years out of a drysuit zip. In fact I went through one in 8 months. How long they last depends on how much you dive and use it, and how well you look after it (lubricate it, keep it clean, attend to the fraying etc), and whether there are any flaws in the production of the zip itself (I've encountered this issue more than once).

In my experience once your zip starts leaking your days of diving dry are numbered. I've tried repairs but they buy you limited time.
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Milky » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:42 am

Thanks Ali for your reply. I was in contact with the manufacturer of TIZIP. they said that to install them, it needs different adhesives as the ones for metals. So far I have read overseas that divers are happy with Tizip. Good thing I use Thinsulate that I dont feel the leak at all only slightly wet. So still ok for now.
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby rambaldi » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:45 pm

Have you read this thread:
http://www.direxplorers.com/f11/tizip-a ... 696-6.html

Specially some of the later pages. Sounds like the zip is good but...
rambaldi

Postby Milky » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:39 am

Hi Rambaldi,

Thanks for the link. That is the first link I read that mentioned some divers are not happy with the TiZips.

Probably it is still too new (I think it is only few years old) so not much feedback yet.

Regards,
Milky
Alive to Dive
Milky

Postby binklebonk » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:54 pm

I have twice had a replacement under warranty of a TiZip. I have talked at length with the manufacturer about it and it appears that there have been two factors causing problems (delamination and cracking of rubber between teeth).

One was the use of too aggressive a solvent prior to install of zipper. The other was related to the compound they were using in the zipper.

Both of these have been addressed and if my experience of the new zips is indicative the problems should be resolved now.
binklebonk

Postby Milky » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:16 am

Thanks for the info Binklebonk, I appreciate it. I hope the people who will install the Tizip would know now about using the different solvent. The manufacturer did tell me that they use different type of adhesive compared to the metal one.
Alive to Dive
Milky

Return to All Things Diving