NZ going.. going...

What...we have lives outside diving!

NZ going.. going...

Postby binklebonk » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:10 pm

This documentary on the economic reforms in the 80s here in NZ is a timely reminder of what we still have to lose if we are not vigilant.

The corporatising of previously democratically elected institutions (Ecan for example) has happened before as part of preparation for privatisation.

Why should you care? Well have a look at this vid and see..

http://www.ziln.co.nz/channel_detail.ph ... nel_id=127
binklebonk

Re: NZ going.. going...

Postby somethin fishy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:42 pm

Lucky National is in now then aren't we....
Andy Stewart
somethin fishy

Postby binklebonk » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:54 pm

It makes little to no difference who is in.. Or did you not watch it.. :wink:

But thankfully MMP does at least limit the wholesale ability of any one party to do such blatantly undemocratic acts.
binklebonk

Postby Drip » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:37 pm

Sorry Binks, but I've had to confiscate that viewing and take it deep under Bag-End (Capital Hill) inside the Shire (Australian Capital Territory) to be fussed over 'preciously' by the Hobbits (the Polititians) of the future Republic known as the United Federation of Oceania (U.F.O ...for all Austr-Aliens).
Drip

Postby somethin fishy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:20 pm

binklebonk wrote:It makes little to no difference who is in.. Or did you not watch it.. :wink:

But thankfully MMP does at least limit the wholesale ability of any one party to do such blatantly undemocratic acts.

Rob, some of us have to work!!

Yeah I agree, that’s one reason I actually like MMP. It stifles the ability to make unilateral significant changes. Imagine what more damage Aunty Helen could have done if she was let loose for all those years in a non minority government.

I also like that my vote counts no matter where I live, in the past if you were in a significant red or blue electorate it was a little deflating knowing your vote was pretty much worthless.
Andy Stewart
somethin fishy

Postby binklebonk » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:35 pm

somethin fishy wrote:
binklebonk wrote:It makes little to no difference who is in.. Or did you not watch it.. :wink:

Rob, some of us have to work!!
Work? bugger that! It's the scourge of the drinking class!!

Yeah I agree, that’s one reason I actually like MMP. It stifles the ability to make unilateral significant changes. Imagine what more damage Aunty Helen could have done if she was let loose for all those years in a non minority government.
I'm not saying I disagree with you. But I am curious to know what damage you are referring to. I can't think of anything offhand but then that may be due to it not having affected me?
I also like that my vote counts no matter where I live, in the past if you were in a significant red or blue electorate it was a little deflating knowing your vote was pretty much worthless.

Yeah MMP does make for better balance and less marginalisation. IMHO...
binklebonk

Postby binklebonk » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:38 am

So now we have Murray McCully wanting to axe funding to Aid projects in the Pacific on the grounds that they are not in line with "Economic growth". Or to put it another way the Aid is interferring with keeping our third world slaves in the poverty that they are all too accustomed to.

Foreign Minister Murray McCully has written to the Council for International Development, which allocates $26 million of government funding for charities doing overseas development work, saying programmes are out of step with the government's goal of driving economic growth in the Pacific.

Council executive director David Culverhouse said it was difficult to plan ahead and non-government organisations which raised $145 million in their own right didn't know whether they would continue to receive government funding.

The executive chairman of Unions Aotearoa International Development Trust, Ross Wilson, said McCully had said there were too many programmes focused on trade union rights in obscure parts of the world.

"I can only assume the minister is referring to our project partnerships with Burmese migrant workers on the Thai-Burma border and with Dalit (untouchable) workers in South India," Wilson said.

So it seems the foreign minister is coming under pressure from business in third world countries to get those trade unionists out as workers rights are incompatible with excessive profit.
binklebonk

Postby ScubaDog » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:41 am

Go National weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and screw MMP
ScubaDog

Postby binklebonk » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:40 am

Quiet scubadog, the adults are talking... :wink:
Last edited by binklebonk on Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
binklebonk

Postby Drip » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:28 am

Here in Ozwallia people are getting sick of the Twiddle-Dee and Twiddle-Dum 'tag-team' effect of having to vote either Liberal or Labour (the fact that the Nationals are coalated with the Liberals, doesn't leave much to vote for the Democrats). Its like having to vote for the UK when the UK works for the USA anyway, if the USA was the other alternative. So the Independants (or minority Parties) are gaining in popularity with each election ($500 fine if you don't vote!).
I vote for the Fishing Party and would vote for a Cocktail Party if one existed and invited me to do so.
Ever since a (white) South African Anti-Apathied (one of the original 3 - the other two got shot) Dissident, that I use to live with, told me that Kevin Rudd "will be" our future Prime Minister (Kevin Rudd was a nobody backbencher - a new kid to the scene and that was way back in 2003) - I've come to realise that the 'Computerised' Elections are just as rigged as the Pokies and the Keno ...Mr Rudd's first plan of attack once he was elected was to fund for Computers into every classroom.

Eventually though - Ozwallia will become a Republic, represented by a Chairperson and based upon a Provincial System (as currently seen in NZ and Sth Africa) like Capricornia, Illawarra, Avalon, Riverina, Pitjantjatjara, Hunter, New England, Wimmera, Gippsland, Goulburn Valley, Eden-Monaro, Orara, Ngarkat, St Vincent, Centralia, etc, etc...
Drip

Postby Andy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:11 pm

binklebonk wrote:Yeah MMP does make for better balance and less marginalisation. IMHO...

The only problem with MMP is that the voting public doesn't take the time to understand it properly...

Having lived under a "first past the post" system for most of my life, I am 100% behind MMP and would hate to see it go.

Drip wrote:I vote for the Fishing Party and would vote for a Cocktail Party if one existed and invited me to do so.

Jase, if you lived in the UK.... I could see you voting for the Monster Raving Looney Party. I think it would be right up your street.

When old Screaming Lord Sutch died a few years ago, there was only one nomination to take over as party leader (the then number two), who thought it was undemocratic..... so he nominated his own cat as leader. The cat won.... though has seen been disposed as leader.

The top five items in their manifesto are:

Cool on the outside:
To combat global warming and climate change all buildings should be fitted with air conditioning units on the outside.

Wheelie Bins:
The idea of weight monitoring chips in wheelie bins should be scrapped, instead the wheels should be removed, this would mean that if people generated too much waist they could not put their non-wheelie bin out for collection. It would also help prevent them being chucked into canals.

Needles
Due to the increasing number of children afraid of needles, I propose the destruction of the tedious, scary and often painful process of school vaccinations.
Instead, I propose that highly trained nurses should be given free reign on the playground with specially modified tranquillizer rifles which apply vaccinations as well as a tranquillizer. This would have two main benefits: It would be less scary for the children as they will not know what hit them, also it will be more fun for the nurses

Hypocrites
It is proposed that all politicians be made to swear a "hippocratic oath", preventing them by law from being Hypocrites. All politicians should be made to stand by their policies, or or at least admit that they were wrong.

GCSE Lottery
It is proposed that, before the beginning of exams, the exam board will select a certain obscure phrase which will be kept secret. If any pupil inadvertently writes this phrase in any exam,he/she will automaticaly receive straight A* grades, and a free teddy.

You can read their entire manifesto online: http://www.loonyparty.com/index.php?pag ... roposals-1

I do particularly like this one:

Prison Food
The problems of prison overcrowding and increased crime will be solved easily by issuing a compulsory contract on McDonalds to do all prison catering. Convervative estimates suggest a 50% reduction in crime rates within 2 years with 0% re-offender figures.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby ScubaDog » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:40 am

woof ... woof, woof ... woof, woof, woof ..... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
ScubaDog

Postby Drip » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:19 am

Andy wrote:Jase, if you lived in the UK.... I could see you voting for the Monster Raving Looney Party. I think it would be right up your street.

LOL - I remember those guys ! Yes I would vote for them and I would even sit in upon their 'Mad Hatter's Tea-Party' too. (if I was in the UK :wink: )
They aren't affiliated with the Republic of Whangamomona?

The future of Australian Politics is looking good though after an early start by the attractive virginal Natasha Stott-Despoja, we now have leggy Kate Ellis.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/entertainment/confidential/sports-minister-kate-ellis-tops-poll-of-australias-sexiest-politician/story-e6freq7o-1225852197908

ScubaDog wrote:woof ... woof, woof ... woof, woof, woof ..... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Seems the Labour Party has the pick of the bunch and it also seems that the more 'good looking women' you have in your Party, then its a very popular Party indeed with the voters.

note the see-thru attire.. :o
Drip

Postby binklebonk » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:21 am

ScubaDog wrote:woof ... woof, woof ... woof, woof, woof ..... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Those flight delays finally got to you huh??
binklebonk

Postby Drip » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:36 pm

Anyway, enough of the Oz (hijacking) - back to the Nz 'political'.

"...from the Silver Fern to Silverado."
Drip

Next

Return to For other topics of discussion