Christchurch 7.0 EarthQuake

What...we have lives outside diving!

Christchurch 7.0 EarthQuake

Postby Drip » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:59 am

Hi,
I just wish to send my best wishes to the people of Christchurch and surrounds who experienced a pretty bad EarthQuake yesterday.
Thankfully, noone has been reported killed by the effects of the Quake and most damage was done to the picturesque but old buildings that tumbled down.

Is it just me, or are we getting more and more Quakes, Volcanos, Tsunamis, etc, etc :?:
Is it indeed due to a shift in the Solar System moving down under the Galactic Plane?
Is it indeed due to Pollution of both Sea and Sky?
Is it due to more Carbon Dioxide and less Oxygene?
Is it due to the Ozone Hole still being depleted?
Is it due to Nuclear and Seismic Tests under ground by Military and Science?

...is it all of the above :?:
:roll:
Drip

Re: Christchurch 7.0 EarthQuake

Postby binklebonk » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:02 pm

Yup it's a pity how many of the more interesting shop frontages and old building will be lost for ever now. It's been a rather contentious issue for many years the way that some have been all to keen to remove the architectural history from the city. It'll be interesting to see how the argument over whether the rebuild should be contemporary or a more restorative effort.

Napier was lucky that they had a big shake at a time when building architecture was really cool IMHO of course.. Imagine the frikkin ugly place Napier would be if it had been leveled by a quake in the late 60s :shock:
binklebonk

Re: Christchurch 7.0 EarthQuake

Postby dirchas » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:36 pm

binklebonk wrote:Imagine the frikkin ugly place Napier would be if it had been leveled by a quake in the late 60s :shock:

Or pretty much any period after deco for that matter :-) although I think early 00's Auckland apartments still get the thumbs up for faithfull reproduction of eastern block post WW2 architecture

Pretty amazing though that no one died - hate to think what would have happened should it have struck 8hrs later
If only life were as simple on the surface.....
dirchas

Return to For other topics of discussion