What have you been reading?

What...we have lives outside diving!

What have you been reading?

Postby binklebonk » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:25 am

I put the Kindle app on my iPhone and iPad a wee while ago and have found that it's the best app on the planet. It's just so damn easy to always have that book with you.

So maybe a whose been reading what thread would be interesting? (maybe not, but hell, won't be the first time i've contributed tumbleweed to the forum)

Here's a few recent reads that I thoroughly recommend.

At the moment I'm halfway through "The psychopath test" by Ron Jonson (The men who stare at goats). http://www.amazon.com/Psychopath-Test-J ... 1594488010 Funniest book I've read in a long time!

Before that was "Brain bugs" (how the brains flaws shape out lives) by Dean Buonomano http://www.amazon.com/Brain-Bugs-Brains ... 484&sr=1-1

"Merchants of Doubt: How a Handful of Scientists Obscured the Truth on Issues from Tobacco Smoke to Global Warming" http://www.amazon.com/Merchants-Doubt-H ... 671&sr=1-1

"Believing Bullshit: How Not to Get Sucked into an Intellectual Black Hole " http://www.amazon.com/Believing-Bullshi ... 798&sr=1-1

Got any recommendations?
binklebonk

Re: What have you been reading?

Postby Cameron_R » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:26 pm

Can you get magazines?
NZ Geo is always awesome. Has a huge section on the Kermadec's this issue.
Cameron_R

Postby binklebonk » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:07 am

It doesn't seem so just yet.

You can get Nat Geo but I'm sure they want too much $ for it...
binklebonk

Postby Ali Perkins » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:55 am

The Underwater Photographer, Third Edition, by Martin Edge. Awesome book - and you can read it for the pictures! :D
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Paul » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:50 pm

Am reading the Game of Thrones now. Great read!

The Ipad with Kindle app is brilliant! Very easy for reading on the bus etc.
Who needs a hobby when you have an obsession?
Paul

Postby Andy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:48 pm

I have a confession to make.

I am currently reading " Object-Oriented Systems Analysis and Design Using UML" by Simon Bennett, Steve McRobb and Ray Farmer.

I need to get a life.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby binklebonk » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:09 am

Andy wrote:I have a confession to make.

I am currently reading " Object-Oriented Systems Analysis and Design Using UML" by Simon Bennett, Steve McRobb and Ray Farmer.

I absolutely loved that book when I was a kid! I'm really surprised you're only reading it now.

Of course I see by the title that you have an early Euro edition, the pre release product focus groups identified the title as a total non starter in the US.

I think what they came up with was, all things considered, an improvement? Not to mention getting rid of the three Author clutter..

seuss_one-fish-two-fish.JPG

:wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
binklebonk

Postby JasonVampireSquid » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:04 pm

...just finished the Penguin Book of the Ocean: a compilation of story extracts from assorted writers from around the world and down through time. I enjoyed Passage to Juneau by Jonathan Raban - it was about how two types of Navigation have evolved. The first is the 'Natural' way - via reading the waves, the weather, the stars, the birds etc and the other is the 'Technological' (Civilised?) way via the Compass.
extract:
MacWhirr is (Joseph) Conrad's archetype of the modern technological mariner, blithely, ignorantly divorced from nature. His sea is a placed vacancy, its terrors conquered by the comapss and the engine. Nan-Shan, built of iron at a great industrial shipyard on the Clyde, crosses the globe in inflexible straight lines, reducing the ocean to a neautral medium for the commercial enterprises of men as literal-minded and mechanical as MacWhirr himself. The whirling cyclone that Conrad brews up to engulf the stupid captain and his crew is the ocean's revenge for the hubris of the steam turbine and the ruled line on the chart.

Also recently finished flicking through that Boating Magazine Ocean with all those 'luxury' floating palaces.
*sigh

Currently reading White Horses (The Sea has Stories): a photographic and anecdotal compilation from an assortment of people around the Globe that relate to Surfing along with anything else that relates to Surfing.
JasonVampireSquid

Postby Ali Perkins » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:07 am

This is going to make me seem like a pretty huge geek, but I've just started on Deco for Divers by Mark Powell, in preparation for my GUE Tech 1 course next year.
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby rambaldi » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:00 am

More so than someone that is intending to read that for pure interest? (yes, soon as I get through my backlog of books)

At the moment I am reading Don Quixote, so completely unrelated to the ocean :p
rambaldi

Postby JasonVampireSquid » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:40 pm

...just bought x2 books via my Diving (work suspension) Holiday along the lower southern NSW coast

KILLERS in EDEN by Danielle Clode: All about the world famous Orca-Human partnership in regards to Whaling around the small but beautiful Whaling town of Eden. She put on a nice seminar (as did Natalie Schmitt in regards to Whale DNA patterns. Natalies was a real good looker - so I couldn't resist asking more questions.)
One can't help but get caught up in the 'Killers' story while in Eden.
Just a note to everyone: After a few weeks getting to know people in Eden - my sixth sense tells me that Eden will soon become a MAJOR port as it has the 3rd DEEPEST harbour in the world and it aims to cater to the BIG Cruise Liners, etc. The town has come to this decision I think because the Govt and it's (American) Economic ways have seen its fishing and logging industries practically close up and the population drop by 25% for lack of work.
I think its a great idea personally and am looking to take full advantage of it when I move to the coast.

The other book is

The Biggest Estate on Earth (How Aborigines 'made' Australia) by Bill Gammage
Basically a new tact on the majority of Australian History upon Aboriginal History. Goes into how the Abos turned pre-colonial Australia into a well managed 'parkland' and 'garden' and prevented it frokm becoming overgrown and too wild like South America and Africa.

Both should be a good read although I know the 'Killers' story really well. I just hope, if I'm ever underwater around Eden and an Orca decides to pay me a visit - it doesn't still hold a grudge with a good memory passed on, otherwise I think I will just **** my wettie :shock:
JasonVampireSquid

Postby DiveDiva » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:49 pm

Chuggington and In the Night Garden!
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby Cameron_R » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:55 am

El Narco by Ioan Grillo.

Wish I had not started reading it whilst still living in Mexico :shock:
Cameron_R

Postby binklebonk » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 pm

Currently reading "I Am A Strange Loop" by Douglas Hofstadter which is a theory of how consciousness of the sort we have can arise. Also "The Great Big Book Of Horrible Things" by Matthew White who is an Atrocitoligist. ;0) The subtitle of the book is "The hundred worst atrocities in Human history".
binklebonk

Postby binklebonk » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:28 pm

Cameron_R wrote:El Narco by Ioan Grillo.

Wish I had not started reading it whilst still living in Mexico :shock:

:lol:

Hell yeah I'd get the frack outta that place if I were you!
binklebonk

Next

Return to For other topics of discussion