Diving for a Cause?????????

What...we have lives outside diving!

Diving for a Cause?????????

Postby Phantom Menace » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:29 pm

The attached video is from a US based organisation "Diving for a Cause". It covers a recent trip to NZ -Whakatane and White Island to be exact (given the boat they were diving off).

I appreciate their efforts with working on community projects (2 days out of the week or so) but I don't really think their "shoot fish and give it away to the Maori" is particularly good / helpful / ethical etc. To me it seems to be dressing up a hunting trip as a charity event and a tad condescneding. (And yes, if you have seen my other posts here you will know that I do spearfish - getting out myself when I can)

What do you think?

http://youtu.be/1HDBh7yuChk
Phantom Menace

Re: Diving for a Cause?????????

Postby rambaldi » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:29 am

I kinda feel the same way. The helping out around small local schools with their maintenance is cool, I have certainly seen some that could do with a lick of paint (although the one in the video already looked reasonably sprightly). I appreciate the comments made near the end with giving the fish to say food banks but I am not sure how useful they would find something which may only be useful for a limited time frame.

But yes "shoot fish and give it away to the Maori" seems quite condescending, especially when Maori have such a strong storied history of interaction with the aquatic environment (still have to try a traditional Kina recipe :p).
rambaldi

Postby binklebonk » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:43 am

Yet another 501C3 non profit organization saving the world one hobby at a time...
binklebonk

Postby Phantom Menace » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:44 pm

Yep Binklebonk - true.

Interestingly they don't like polite questions on their facebook page - my posts were simply deleted (although one may have been because I included a link to thread on a NZ spearfishing forum where comments were less than complimentary).

I would have appreciated a considered response from them rather than just hitting the delete button.

(Different appraoch to Sealord who leave civil and polite posts on their FB page - even if questioning the appropriateness of canning YFT)
Phantom Menace

Postby markbitter » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:25 am

There work is really appreciable as they are working on community projects.Being social and serving the humanity I think is the real work which we all should do for others who need it.
markbitter

Return to For other topics of discussion