Snapper Quota change

What...we have lives outside diving!

Snapper Quota change

Postby divepirate » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:41 pm

It looks like there will be some long overdue changes to the snapper limits for recreational Fishermen.

It looks like there is a call to reduce the QTY of fish taken, however there are also questions as to the size of fish taken etc.

It seems that this will only affect Recreational at this stage, and not commercial, who have a minimum length of 25cm compared to our 27cm minimum.

The threat from the Govt is to reduce the allowance to 3, however, if history serves us correctly, they are scaremongering a big reduction however they probably already know that they will change it to 5..

comments?
Matt.
Forum Administrator.

I cant think of anything more relaxing, than being in the downunder, breathing some nice clean fresh filtered 21% nitrox.
divepirate
Forum Administrator

Re: Snapper Quota change

Postby rambaldi » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:04 pm

What is the limit at the moment?
rambaldi

Postby divepirate » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:30 pm

Snapper Limits are currently (Auckland differs from the rest of the country).

9 Snapper per person per day.
minimum length = 27cm

Commercial Fishing
Tonnes (depending on Quota).
Minimum Length = 25cm

Recreational change = 9 to 3
COmmercial Change = No proposals have been made to commercial quota's at the moment.
Matt.
Forum Administrator.

I cant think of anything more relaxing, than being in the downunder, breathing some nice clean fresh filtered 21% nitrox.
divepirate
Forum Administrator

Postby ChuckyBob » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:38 pm

While I agree that the recreational limit could be looked at and reduced, I would like to see a reduction in the commercial limits too. The way I see it, Kiwis rights to fish should be greater than corporations right to export.

25cm for the commercial limit seems like a bit of a joke. But 25cm fish will always get caught. If they are thrown back they will probably die anyway. So may as well keep them and as a result save some of the larger ones.
ChuckyBob

Postby AndrewRawlingson » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:13 pm

Recreational fishing is an important part of my life. I've fished 1 - 3 times a week ever since I arrived in NZ a year ago. My personal view is that the current bag limit is too high and the minimum size too small. A 27 cm snapper is tiny. I rarely bring home more than one fish and if I do, it's a total of two/three as I give some to my elderly neighbours.

I don't kill fish less than 45 cm because it's not worth the effort of filleting them and I only use artificial lures (soft baits), so all fish are hooked and released in a manner compatible with survival (no gut hooked fish). Today I caught 9 legal snapper and released 7 of them. Last trip, I caught 13 and released 11. A few weeks a go, I caught 20 from outside my front door and released 17, you get the idea.

It seems that the politicians have set the recreational fisherman against the commercials and everybody is trying to grab what they can. This is a shame because there is only one population of snapper and it will not recover if changes aren't made.

Having said all of that, I have serious issues with commercial fishing in NZ. It's possible that the dead and wasted by-catch from trawling is as bad as it is anywhere in the world. Nobody really knows, but we are talking about tonnes of dead juvenile snapper being dumped in to the sea. Many of the commercial fishing practices are damaging to the environment and fish stocks and nobody seems to be addressing this.

...and while I'm having a rant, NZ is a major exported of shark fins - seriously, what the bubbles?

Coming from a country, actually a continent where fish stocks have collapsed, I think this fishery is too important to play politics with. The commercial sector needs clean up its act or be forced to and the recreational anglers need to realise that their actions have consequences too.

AndrewRawlingson

Postby ChuckyBob » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:54 pm

...and while I'm having a rant, NZ is a major exported of shark fins - seriously, what the bubbles?

To be fair, NZ does not allow shark finning where ONLY the sharks fins are taken. The whole fish is taken.

Guess its a tricky one.
Do you ban the use of shark fins and still allow the rest of the shark to be consumed? Or do you ban shark fishing totally?
ChuckyBob

Postby AndrewRawlingson » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:32 am

ChuckyBob wrote:Guess its a tricky one.
Do you ban the use of shark fins and still allow the rest of the shark to be consumed? Or do you ban shark fishing totally?

Very easy, the latter solution. Let's give these animals one place on the planet where they have a fighting chance.
AndrewRawlingson

Postby ChuckyBob » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:40 am

Thats about as likely to happen as a total ban on snapper.
ChuckyBob

Postby AndrewRawlingson » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:08 pm

Which I would also really like to see. You can't buy a trout in NZ. Result, the best wild trout fishing in the world.

However, back in reality...
AndrewRawlingson

Postby somethin fishy » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:39 pm

I dont know why there isn't a closed season to allow the fish to spawn being considered.
Andy Stewart
somethin fishy

Postby ChuckyBob » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:15 pm

AndrewRawlingson wrote:Which I would also really like to see. You can't buy a trout in NZ. Result, the best wild trout fishing in the world.

However, back in reality...

Total ban = total ban. No more snapper for you either!
ChuckyBob

Postby AndrewRawlingson » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:44 pm

Ah, not too keen on that :)
AndrewRawlingson

Postby Phantom Menace » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:06 pm

The rec quota is too high. I agree. Shark finning is banned and shark stocks need to be allowed to rebuild - I agree.

On the other hand many other cultures view the relatively standard NZ practice of filleting a fish and binning the head, flaps and frame to be incredibly wasteful e.g. "disgusting waste of fish" is how it was described to me one day by an older person from another culture. (Is that akin to selling shark fins when the majority of the shark is also used for other stuff?? :P )

Smaller fish can be scaled and cooked whole, split and smoked
Kingfish, snapper and other fish flaps, heads etc. can be smoked, used to make stock, broth / soup.
Frames can be smoked.
etc.

Some of these discussions with folks from other cultures have got me thinking about the best use of the fish I catch and I am slowly having a crack at changing my habits - moving away from the "fillet and toss" approach to ones that make a better use of the resource.
Phantom Menace

Postby AndrewRawlingson » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:30 pm

somethin fishy wrote:I dont know why there isn't a closed season to allow the fish to spawn being considered.

Unless it's a pure catch & release fishery, I'm not sure what this would achieve. A fish killed a day, week or month before spawning season is no more able to spawn than a fish killed during spawning season.
AndrewRawlingson

Postby Phantom Menace » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:49 pm

Possibly spawning agregations make it easier to catch a fish at that time (if you go to where they are agregating)?
Phantom Menace

Next

Return to For other topics of discussion