Parore feeding

Tell or show us what marine life fascinates you underwater and why. What's your favourite marine critter?

Parore feeding

Postby justsimon » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:04 pm

Saw this at the Omaha causeway this afternoon. There was a big school of Parore of all different sizes ripping into the remains of some Snapper frames that had been thrown into the tide.

And there was I thinking that Parore were nice little vegetarians. :D

justsimon
U/W Photographic genius

Re: Parore feeding

Postby long john » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:19 pm

Hey, how was the viz? Whangateau is good for a paddle when the sea conditions make a 'real' dive a no-go, eh?
In parore related news, I murdered a Caramel drummerGirella fimbriata, a close cousin of the parore, at the h&C's about a month back. Previously, they'd been thought endemic to the kermies, well, sort of, as a mate of mine had photographed one at the barrier and I'd filmed one at Motiti. But the boffins need a corpse before they can positively confirm a species is present here so a corpse they got. The kermies were supposed to have three endemic species but with those two kermie scalyfins showing up at the knights and now a wayward caramel drummer feeling the steel at the h&c's, the kermie triplefin must be feeling lonely as the sole kermie endemic. So any triplefin hunters out there, keep an eye out!
long john

Postby NEMES1S » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:53 pm

Great pic man... :D
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby justsimon » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:08 am

Cheers guys.

Hey, how was the viz? Whangateau is good for a paddle when the sea conditions make a 'real' dive a no-go, eh?

Yeah it was nice. Vis was good, a solid 5m in the middle of the channel, though quite exciting with the water movement.

Good find with the Caramel Drummer.
justsimon
U/W Photographic genius

Return to Flora & Fauna