ID of Critters Please

Tell or show us what marine life fascinates you underwater and why. What's your favourite marine critter?

ID of Critters Please

Postby Crayfish » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:29 pm

Hi Guys I found these little guys all over a sponge while diving a scallop bed in theGulf any ideas what they could be?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is better to have dived! Than not at all!
Crayfish

Re: ID of Critters Please

Postby ChuckyBob » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:43 pm

No idea. But reminds me there is only 1 week of scallop diving left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ChuckyBob

Postby justsimon » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:55 pm

Hard to be sure but they look like Arcturid isopods by the way they're holding their bodies. Something like Neastacilla sp?
justsimon
U/W Photographic genius

Postby ADAP » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:17 pm

Haven't seen these till now....Judging by the sheer number of them on the sponge, I have a feeling that they would be some sort of parasite....

In warmer waters, there are sponge parasites like the pic below...(Yuck!! :evil: )

worm.jpg

I just hope that these species do not affect our waters....I hate it when the marine environment changes (for the worse).... :cry:

Crayfish, can you tell me which area in the gulf you've seen them?? Then maybe if other divers including myself spot them often/elsewhere, it might
be a sign that they are spreading...I wonder if we should then notify MAF Biosecurity?? (Or am I taking it too seriously?? :roll: )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ADAP

Postby ADAP » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:31 pm

I wonder if it's the species below...looks pretty similar...

Paridotea collingei - herbivorous isopod, camouflages itself according to the colour of the marine algae in which it lives, native to the Southeast
part of Aus & Tasmania....
ADAP

Postby Cameron_R » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:49 am

Cool photos Crayfish!

ADAP wrote:In warmer waters, there are sponge parasites like the pic below...(Yuck!! :evil: )

Why do you think parasites are bad? They are an important part of the marine environment and play a role just like everything else.

ADAP wrote:I just hope that these species do not affect our waters....I hate it when the marine environment changes (for the worse).... :cry:

Crayfish, can you tell me which area in the gulf you've seen them?? Then maybe if other divers including myself spot them often/elsewhere, it might
be a sign that they are spreading...I wonder if we should then notify MAF Biosecurity?? (Or am I taking it too seriously?? :roll: )

I think you've made 2 assumptions which are both wrong IMO
1. Parasites are bad
2. What you've seen in the photos above are parasites and therefore can't be native to NZ and are therefore bad.

#1 again, parasites are not bad. They are part of the environment and play important roles.
#2 Isopods are absolutely everywhere in NZ waters. We should be worried if they weren't
Cameron_R

Postby ADAP » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:18 pm

I'm not a marine biologist, nor do I have extensive knowledge of marine biology...I was simply expressing my own views/feelings on this "species"...

I'm sure parasites play a role in our environment, but one of the general definitions is "An organism that grows, feeds, and is sheltered on or in a different organism while contributing nothing to the survival of its host." So obviously from the hosts perspective, they would be bad...(I don't see parasites such as "head lice" having a positive impact in our living environment...)

I'm sure NZ waters (as well as everywhere else) has its fair share of parasites..I was just expressing concern that MAYBE it might be foreign and that MAYBE we should be concerned about them...One can never be too careful, right?

At the end of the day, if they are "harmless" isopods and not something we should be concerned about, then that's all that matters... :wink:
ADAP

Postby ChuckyBob » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:41 pm

An organism that grows, feeds, and is sheltered on or in a different organism while contributing nothing to the survival of its host.

Put that in the context of Humans and Mother Earth........ :(
ChuckyBob

Postby Crayfish » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:48 am

I was diving the shallow scollop bed at the largest island of the Noises facing Rakino in about 8-10 meters it was the only sponge that I found on the dive.
Crayfish

Postby ChuckyBob » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:17 am

How were the scallops?
Been diving the Pakatoa bed this season and the roes are looking poor but there are plenty of scallops there.
ChuckyBob

Postby Crayfish » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:03 am

Yea a few around but lots of small ones the beds been hammered by lazy boaties and there dregders
Crayfish

Postby Phantom Menace » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:15 pm

"Hammered by lazy boaties and their dredges"

Just free-dive it - 8-10m is very doable, no need for tanks there.

"Laziness" is a sliding scale - I don't liked dredges at all however some folk are not able to SCUBA dive therefore they are not necessarily "lazy" when they use a dredge. Free-diving for scallops in 10m is not so hard therefore SCUBA diving for scallops in 10m could be construed to be lazy also ...

:D

On that note -ban dredges ...
Phantom Menace

Postby Crayfish » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:46 pm

Yes but with the camera in tow it would of been a hassel. As for the dredges they really stuff up the marine life on the bottom. I say ban them and those that can't dive for it can buy it is the supermarket or off us divers. Ha Ha
Crayfish

Postby Phantom Menace » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:58 am

I don't like dredges either - but "lazy" doesn't always come into it for dredge users.

SCUBA diving for scallops in 10m could be construed to be lazy - the camera is no excuse LOL.

Be careful who you sell your scallops too ... (BTW the commercial guys dredge for scallops too)
Phantom Menace

Postby Crayfish » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:03 pm

You can't take decent macro shoots free diving at 10 meters and if any one wants to free dive for scallopes and take photos at the same time at 10 meters then they must be a (clever d*&k).
Crayfish

Next

Return to Flora & Fauna