ID of Critters Please

Tell or show us what marine life fascinates you underwater and why. What's your favourite marine critter?

Re: ID of Critters Please

Postby Phantom Menace » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:08 pm

Fair enough Crayfish - taking macro photos while free-dving would be a challenge :)

(and a boatie would find it impossible to take a macro photo of a critter on the seabed in 10m ...)

My comments were aimed at the "lazy boatie" thing rather than trying to start a SCUBA / free thing. Just pointing out that "lazy" is a continuum - and not all dredge users are "lazy" (although many probably are!) e.g. the only way my father could get scallops for himself would be using a dredge (not that he does have a dredge - he acts as boatman for me from time to time).

Generalisations are wonderful:
* people who buy scallops and don't get them for themselves are lazy
* Boaties who use dredges are lazy (said by a SCUBA diver)
* SCUBA divers collecting scallops in 8m are lazy (said by an average free-diver)
* Free-divers who wear fins while collecting scallops in 8m are lazy (said by a mate of mine who has been known to free-dive for scallops in 8m with no fins! Last time I saw him do this he came to the surface with 4 or so each dive - on a popular bed)

The scallops in shops are dredged.

Chur
Phantom Menace

Postby Crayfish » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:25 pm

Good points

I just realised I can't be bothered with scallops, by the time you collect your 20 and then shell them you end up with a sandy slimy mess every where and small amount of scallops that wouldn't feed a family of 5.

I think I might be lazy and just stick to taking photos at lest a photo lasts a life time not just a meal.
It is better to have dived! Than not at all!
Crayfish

Postby long john » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:17 pm

I tend to agree.
long john

Postby ChuckyBob » Sun May 01, 2011 10:15 am

Crayfish wrote:Good points

I just realised I can't be bothered with scallops, by the time you collect your 20 and then shell them you end up with a sandy slimy mess every where and small amount of scallops that wouldn't feed a family of 5.

I think I might be lazy and just stick to taking photos at lest a photo lasts a life time not just a meal.

But if the family of 5 all went along you could get 100!!! :D

I love scallops but its been hard to find good ones in the gulf this last season ( or 2).
ChuckyBob

Previous

Return to Flora & Fauna