Huge Jelly

Tell or show us what marine life fascinates you underwater and why. What's your favourite marine critter?

Huge Jelly

Postby binklebonk » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:05 pm

I went for a dive last night and saw a jelly that was about 600mm in diameter. I used my arm to compare underwater for later reference so very certain of size.

It had what looked like clear sea tulip like growths out of the top of the cap and the "mane" was about 6-700mm projecting below the cap, I couldnt see any tendrils.

I've never seen a jelly that big.

Need to get a little POS camera for these sort of things..

Any idea on identification?
binklebonk

Re: Huge Jelly

Postby long john » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:19 pm

We call them lion's mane jellies but I'm not sure that's exactly what they are. I'm assuming you mean purply, warty type of 'bell',and a substantial curtain type arrangement underneath rather than long tendrils? They very often have juvinile medusafish of some sort (ocean blue eye?) under them.
long john

Postby binklebonk » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:43 pm

I've seen pictures of Lions mane Jellies and it definitely wasn't one of them.

There was no discernible colour to the 'bell' and there were white lines parallel to the rim of the 'bell' extending down the inside of the body...

Sorry about the no picture situation...
binklebonk

Postby Ali Perkins » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:47 am

Interesting. The big purple Lion's mane is what leapt into my mind too. Go back tonight with a camera, that's an order! :D
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Return to Flora & Fauna