What species and places define us as New Zealanders?

Tell or show us what marine life fascinates you underwater and why. What's your favourite marine critter?

What species and places define us as New Zealanders?

Postby Ali Perkins » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:13 am

I thought I'd put this out there so that New Zealand's iconic marine species are not ignored in this survey.

http://www.doc.govt.nz/getting-involved/consultations/how-doc-consults/consulting-on-conservation-management-strategies/what-defines-us/

Quintessentially Kiwi: What species and places define us as New Zealanders?

New Zealanders identify with our native species and special places in personal ways.

The Department of Conservation (DOC) would like to know which of our many native species you think help define who we are as New Zealanders, and which of our special places help tell the New Zealand story.

Your feedback, along with other information sources, will help us decide how we will manage species and places for future generations and will be captured in conservation management strategies.

List up to 10 species and up to 10 specific places that you think are "Quintessentially Kiwi" because they help define who we are as New Zealanders.
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Re: What species and places define us as New Zealanders?

Postby binklebonk » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:02 am

I have a somewhat skeptical view of such a reductionist approach to public consultation over Conservation.

Given that (to the best of my limited knowledge) Ecology is about the complex interaction between species, geographical location and chemistry what good does asking a population, that is mostly <myself included> ignorant of these processes, what their pet places and species are? Will knowing what the majority like in the way of holiday destination and preferred flora and fauna really help?

It's a bit like the string quartet on the Titanic asking the passengers if they prefer Stravinsky to Strauss. It may well be nice to have some cheerful music to enjoy over dinner. But it doesn't change the fact that the people in the the Bridge had practices not entirely focussed on ensuring the safest passage for all.

Once again it won't be those in First class who suffer the most.. Oh and "ICEBERG DEAD AHEAD CAPTAIN!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKUPUznJZoE
binklebonk

Postby Ali Perkins » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:50 pm

I agree but I'm not sure if you beat the system by not contributing.
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby binklebonk » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:12 pm

Aye true enough..

I just wish there was a "everything is too interdependent to play favourites" box to tick..
binklebonk

Postby kevfish » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:06 pm

Rampaging pig dogs eating everything in site is 'Quintessentially Kiwi'!
Kill all dogs before they unleash their canine hell upon us all!

Does that help???
Kevin Delonge
www.oceanblue.co.nz Poor Knights Liveaboards
'It is better to have lived one day as a tiger than a thousand as a sheep' - Alison Hargreaves RIP
kevfish

Postby binklebonk » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:58 pm

kevfish wrote:Rampaging pig dogs eating everything in site is 'Quintessentially Kiwi'!
Kill all dogs before they unleash their canine hell upon us all!

Two legs good! Four legs bad! Two legs good! Four legs bad!

:0)
binklebonk

Return to Flora & Fauna