Mad About Molluscs

Tell or show us what marine life fascinates you underwater and why. What's your favourite marine critter?

Re: Mad About Molluscs

Postby Cameron_R » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:41 pm

Yes yes. :lol: :lol:

Now the question is from which mollusc is this shell?
Cameron_R

Postby aquakiwi » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:17 pm

Sorry Cameron, I need to go diving, Looks like a White Rock Shell, g. Neothasis sp. scalaris.
Although it may have been renamed Thais orbita It is indeed a mollusc.
aquakiwi
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Ali Perkins » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:00 am

I would suggest it is a Cart-rut snail: Dicathais orbita.

It's just been mollusc mania at the Aldermen Islands last weekend - got loads of cool molluscs to post - when time allows. :(
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Crayfish » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:53 pm

I must be mad about Molluscs the other night when it was clear and clam I went down to Little Manley Beach in Whangaparoa.

I put a large dive light in the water off the rocks and waited in my wetsuit with my camera for some Squid to arrive. Within 5 minutes a school of about 5 swam past. That was my queue to get into the 13 degree water and try and get some photos. Did the Squid hang around? NO :( did I get any photos? NO :cry: So I spent the next 30 minutes hanging around waiting for any of the dam Squid to arrive. To rub salt in the wound and after I got out an Asian fisherman caught one just where I had been. He must have felt sorry for me as he put it in a rock pool and let me take some photos of it.

I took a couple of photos of it, destined for the Wok.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is better to have dived! Than not at all!
Crayfish

Postby aquakiwi » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:24 pm

Ali Perkins wrote:I would suggest it is a Cart-rut snail: Dicathais orbita.

It's just been mollusc mania at the Aldermen Islands last weekend - got loads of cool molluscs to post - when time allows. :(

Something orbita then.
aquakiwi
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Cameron_R » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:35 pm

Crayfish wrote:I must be mad about Molluscs the other night when it was clear and clam I went down to Little Manley Beach in Whangaparoa.

I put a large dive light in the water off the rocks and waited in my wetsuit with my camera for some Squid to arrive. Within 5 minutes a school of about 5 swam past. That was my queue to get into the 13 degree water and try and get some photos. Did the Squid hang around? NO :( did I get any photos? NO :cry: So I spent the next 30 minutes hanging around waiting for any of the dam Squid to arrive. To rub salt in the wound and after I got out an Asian fisherman caught one just where I had been. He must have felt sorry for me as he put it in a rock pool and let me take some photos of it.

I took a couple of photos of it, destined for the Wok.

:lol: :lol:
Cameron_R

Postby Ali Perkins » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:42 pm

I love the dedication Alex. I see Cameron_R laughing, but I bet he won't be when I suggest this as our next dive. :wink:
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Cameron_R » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:01 am

We can go get squid rings from an Asian takeaway any time. I'll even let you photo the chips'n sauce I get with it.
Cameron_R

Postby aquakiwi » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:21 pm

Another mollusc

aquakiwi
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Ali Perkins » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:42 pm

Who's in charge of putting down the sick nudibranchs? :shock:

This is a Janolus eximius that I photographed on Magic Wall at the Poor Knights Islands on 2nd September 2011.

Dr Richard Willan said:

I don’t think I have ever seen such a miserable individual. If it were a dog, I would recommend it be put down. Its body has been invaded by a copepod parasite and this parasite’s egg masses have broken through the body wall dorsally just behind the (enlarged) heart. At some point about a week previously the individual had cast off all its cerata (perhaps simultaneously with the parasite bursting through its body wall) and just a few tiny buds are regrowing.
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby ChuckyBob » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:10 am

Great pic Ali.

It still amazes me hpw you spot these nudi's
ChuckyBob

Postby justsimon » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:39 am

This is a Janolus eximius that I photographed on Magic Wall at the Poor Knights Islands on 2nd September 2011.

Dr Richard Willan said:

I don’t think I have ever seen such a miserable individual. If it were a dog, I would recommend it be put down. Its body has been invaded by a copepod parasite and this parasite’s egg masses have broken through the body wall dorsally just behind the (enlarged) heart. At some point about a week previously the individual had cast off all its cerata (perhaps simultaneously with the parasite bursting through its body wall) and just a few tiny buds are regrowing.

Great capture. It's funny, I was wondering if that sort of thing happened much in New Zealand after seeing some similar tropical shots the other day. I'll have to keep an eye out.
justsimon
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Ali Perkins » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:30 pm

ChuckyBob wrote:It still amazes me how you spot these nudi's

It's amazing what you can spot moving around when you spend some serious face time with an encrusted wall. My buddies hate it! :lol:

This is a Maori elysia (Elysia maoria) spotted in the bay near Eyebrow at the Aldermen Islands on 27th August 2011.

A good old pair of Clown nudibranchs (Ceratosoma amoenum) on the wall outside North Cave on Flat Island at the Aldermen Islands on 28th August 2011. I thought they were really cute and looked like a mum and bub. Except it doesn't work that way with nudibranchs and it did occur to me that these two might be about to get jiggy with it. I didn't hang around because I thought it might be a bit disturbing. :shock:

A Doto sp. on the wall outside North Cave on Flat Island at the Aldermen Islands on 28th August 2011.
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Ali Perkins » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:05 am

I found this Mesoginella coma on a night dive in Mooring Bay at the Aldermen Islands on 9th September 2011 - sorry it's a bit overexposed.

How can you not get into molluscs when you learn all this weird stuff about them? Richard Willan says:

It’s the commonest New Zealand margin snail. It emerges from the sand at night to suck the blood of sleeping fishes.

:shock:
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Ali Perkins » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:49 pm

How do you tell your Tularia bractea from your Trinchesia scintillans?

This was the question I was pondering as I looked at pictures of nudibranchs that to my untrained eye were looking all too similar! As always Dr Richard Willan came through with a helpful answer.

"These small aeolids (and there are about 10 species in northern New Zealand) are notoriously difficult to identify in the field. The colour of the ‘core’ (i.e. the digestive gland) of the cerata can vary in colour depending on the hydroid diet and time since ingestion of the hydroid food, even as much as red or green within a single species. So don’t use colour as the primary character to distinguish between them (both these species can have numerous small pale spots in the cerata). Use the arrangement and shape of the appendages to separate them.

Tularia bractea has slightly wrinkled rhinophores, very long oral tentacles, enlarged (scythe-like) front corners of the foot, and groups of cerata are borne in clusters on a common stem (a bracket).

Trinchesia scintillans has completely smooth rhinophores, oral tentacles the same length as the rhinophores, a rounded front margin to the foot, and the cerata arise directly from the side of the body.

These characters are so subtle that you’ll need to take several photos of any animal you encounter and, at home, enlarge them to search carefully for these details."

These are Tularia bractea.

And apparently so is this.

Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

PreviousNext

Return to Flora & Fauna