Mad About Molluscs

Tell or show us what marine life fascinates you underwater and why. What's your favourite marine critter?

Mad About Molluscs

Postby Ali Perkins » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:58 am

A group of spearos petitioned me to start this thread, fearing retribution of a physical nature if they were to post it on fishing.net.nz.

Don't worry guys, here on scubadive.net.nz you are free to discuss these soft-bodied, sometimes slimy suckers in a peaceful environment of mutual mollusc admiration. :D

But seriously, what's up with molluscs?

Did you know that mollusca is the largest marine phylum?

If we turn to the relatively fresh bible New Zealand Coastal Marine Invertebrates (I know you all have one on your shelf at home) we see that:

- Molluscs vary in size from the 20-metre-long giant squid down to tiny snails a millimetre long.
- On a global scale, New Zealand has only a small land mass. Despite this, approximately 75% of its 3,676 species and subspecies of living marine molluscs are endemic. This is an extremely high figure for any country.

Obviously this is a topic that can do with more attention, so here we go - what have you spotted where?
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Re: Mad About Molluscs

Postby Ali Perkins » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:10 pm

Happy to kick off with one: a sea slug named after a spider!

Discovered on Landing Bay Pinnacle at the Poor Knights Islands on 18th July 2011 while out diving with OceanBlue. The pinnacle was literally infested with this tiny sea slug.

These are Katipo runcina (Runcina katipoides).

To quote Dr Richard Willan (because he is as mad about molluscs as anyone and should be quoted a lot in such a thread):
Normally the zone between the black streaks on the dorsum is red (see http://www.seaslugforum.net/find/runnkati), so it has a fanciful resemblance in terms of colouration to a tiny katipo spider.

It is assumed that the ones lacking a red stripe have no food in their digestive glands when photographed. They are really abundant once you have located the suitable habitat – and of course ‘got your eye in’ for them. All runcinids are tiny!
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Cameron_R » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:17 pm

Is this one?

Cameron_R

Postby Ali Perkins » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:47 pm

Well, I must have had a lot of food in my digestive gland as I have a very strong red stripe, you clown. The cuttlefish is a mollusc - from Australia.

These are (from Dr Richard Willan):

Pale Triphorids (Bouchetriphora pallida). They eat sponges, but I have no idea why they should be clustering like this. The special thing about triphorids (family Triphoridae) is that their shells coil in a left-handed spiral and you can see this clearly on the one with its animal extended showing its eye. Its shell opens to the left of the centreline, whereas all other gastropods coil in a right-handed spiral.

Found on Landing Bay Pinnacle at the Poor Knights Islands on 18th July 2011.
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby aquakiwi » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:49 pm

Splendid Ali, I like this thread.
aquakiwi
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Ali Perkins » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:42 pm

Thanks Alan.

This is Philinopsis taronga. I found it off Putahataha Island in Deep Water Cove in the Bay of Islands when out diving with Northland Dive on 24th July 2011. This is a ‘tropical’ tailed slug shared with Australia, like Chelidonura inornata and Chelidonura fulvipunctata that have been seen at the Poor Knights this year.

Philinopsis taronga is on page 425 in New Zealand Coastal Marine Invertebrates.
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby justsimon » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:14 am

OK, I'll play

Helmet Shell by Simon Franicevic, on Flickr

I think this is a Helmet shell (Semicassis pyrum?), p374 from NZ Coastal Marine inverts. Taken at Jones Bay.
justsimon
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Ali Perkins » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:38 am

Absolutely beautiful shot with the animal extended. I love it! So much nicer live than on someone's mantlepiece. Jones Bay produces some real gems. Thanks for sharing Simon.
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Cameron_R » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:41 am

justsimon wrote:OK, I'll play

:shock: :D justsimon back from the grave! Previous post Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:55 pm

"Ali Perkins, bringing the big guns back since ages ago"

:lol:
Cameron_R

Postby ChuckyBob » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:24 am

Paper Nautilus, still waiting to see a live one :(

Scallop, still waiting for the start of the season :lol:

Some dont care about seasons. :D
ChuckyBob

Postby aquakiwi » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:02 pm

Nice images, here's a couple from the past.

aquakiwi
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Ali Perkins » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:46 pm

I love the scallop shots Greg and the nudibranch shots. Alan, I don't know what that Cadlina willani is doing (white nudi with the yellow trim for those not up with their NZ nudis) but it's a cool shot.

This mollusc has a very big coolness factor. I always enjoy time spent with octopuses.

Photographed on Danger Rock (up towards the Bay of Islands) on 30th July while out with Northland Dive.
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby ChuckyBob » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:55 pm

As do I Ali, Love the way its tentacle folds back! But is it Octopuses or Octopi

This one was at Gannet rock (along with another dozen or so) some time back.
He/she didnt appreciate the attention.

ChuckyBob

Postby Ali Perkins » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:09 pm

Wicked shot! It is definitely octopuses. :D

We had one nest at Kelly Tarlton's this year. It was amazing to observe.

Was this taken using your macro ring flash?
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby ChuckyBob » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:15 pm

Yes it was. I was shooting video when it grabbed on to my rig. I quickly changed modes and this was the result.

Here is another from Gannet.

ChuckyBob

Next

Return to Flora & Fauna