I knew I shouldnt have brought that.....

For general discussion about buying gear, configuration and those necessary diving accessories.

Postby Azza » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:55 pm

DonMarcosdeJuan wrote:
Azza wrote:
Flipper wrote:Oh, and yes, as above, those stupid fluro yellow plastic spirals to tie around the octi hose. Utterly pointless. :oops:
They do have a point...they trap salt so your gear wears out faster :lol:

Tank boots do pretty much the same thing.
Thats why mine grow herbs in them...never had them on my tanks and my tanks are pristine :twisted:
Azza

Postby bigtank » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:04 pm

started out with a spora sub kit regs and bcd, actually didnt mind it too much, very very basic yes but at the time it was all i needed, worked i OZ for a while in the troppics and used wave bcds and Apollo eco diver bcds, they wer e ok, but wont go there again
as progressed up the ranks,, i went to a mares vector chrome bcd, was ok much more advanced that the sporsub,, suited my purpose just fine, although when inflated was rather bulky under the arms, heaps of LIFT!! regs changed to a Aqualung Calypso set with a dacor computer, CRAP!!!died!! the regs were great i had comments that it breathed better than the scubapro s600!! was still in a two peice moray enduroII at that time, did the job ,, then i started teaching so i got rid of the Vector, change to a Oceanic Probe BCD and Aqualung Titan LX adjustable with SEA first stage,, WOW, what a change since then havent looked back, have tried a few other regs sherwood, oceanic , scubapro apollo, and the LX takes the cake.. The Probe has huge s/s drings and huge pockets, integrated weight and easy to acces the pockets with the weights in,, it has pockets at the baCK for torches, spare mask etc and vey easy to acces, and is very comfortable with twins on..

went to one peice suit Pro 1000, Atlantis semi dry and now a cressi lontra,, mmm what a lovely suit this is,, so now its the lontra in the summer and my Bravo drysuit in the winter.. masks?? far out ive lost count i have lots of spare but im stuck with my tusa splendive 2 with prescription lenses, beatiful mask, TUSA ROCKS,, have been down the Blade track with fins,, then was convince to try splits at first i protested that splits were bad now i will never turn back SPLITS ROCK!!! oceanic vortex with SS spring straps....
Computers, uwatec bottom timer, great device until the battery dies,, dacor quantum, peice of #%^$%*,, Suunto Gekko awesome comp wear it on the wrist, untill it died cause it didnt like the cesa"s i was doing with students.. SUnnto VYper,, anothere wicked comp, until i lost it in a hole, now an oceanic GEO wrist great so far!!

Gear bag , cant go past the apollo prestige bag it takes a beating!!!

My pick!!

Sunnto for Computers
Oceanic For BCDS
Aqualung For regs
Cressi For suit
Tusa For Masks
Dolphin for drysuits
Bubbles and more bubbles creates underwater bliss!!!
bigtank

Re: I knew I shouldnt have brought that.....

Postby bigtank » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:09 pm

Diverdown wrote:Since there has been a fair bit of discussion about ones first set of gear. I thought it would be interesting to find out what gear people have purchased when they first started diving or over the years and never needed/wanted to change/was a waste of time and money etc...

Mine would be a Dacor, Air-integrated, Hoseless computer on a huge rubber platform which clipped across the front of your BC. It died 4 times, was replaced 4 times until I changed to a Uwatec. Aswell as looking pretty ugly. Another was a small strobe designed to attatch to your first stage for night dives. Extremely annoying for everyone else in the water and batteries only lasted 20mins into the dive.

Hey hey,, to solve your strobey problems, my brother and me bring in a product called GLO TOOB,, the are LED and power by an a23 12v batterym batt life is up to 80 hours dependant on mode, water proof to 3500 metres, colours are RED BLUE WhITE AMBER and green,, check out www.glo-toob.com let me know if you interested..
bigtank

Postby Azza » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:12 pm

bigtank wrote:Aqualung Titan LX adjustable with SEA first stage,, WOW, what a change since then havent looked back,

I have an old SEA that I use as a deco reg and it is a solid performer. Parts are plentiful, easy to service / rebuild and very reliable. Cant go wrong I reckon :D
Azza

Postby bigtank » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:31 pm

Azza wrote:
bigtank wrote:Aqualung Titan LX adjustable with SEA first stage,, WOW, what a change since then havent looked back,

I have an old SEA that I use as a deco reg and it is a solid performer. Parts are plentiful, easy to service / rebuild and very reliable. Cant go wrong I reckon :D

Its a pitty there is a limited supply of them now,,

The legend is pretty much the same, just a glorified version.. with huge price tag
bigtank

Postby wibbleman » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:46 pm

Azza wrote:Cobra computer - Air integrated computer...$1860 but hopeless for trwin tank diving.

Mind me asking why this would be useless for doubles? Surely if you have to turn off its post, it still works as a computer? (and the spg you have on the other post will still work)

Or is it the "law" to just have SPG's on each post? (note i have one of these and love it to bits, and I guess I will eventually end up with doubles some day).

Azza wrote:Excalibur sword for inside leg..blunt as fcuk and the biggest entanglement hazard I have ever had...swapped it for a slab of beer so spose it wasn't too bad of a buy...although effectively that was a $100 slab of beer...

I bet you felt like a million bucks with it strapped to your leg though :lol:

Isn't there a first time diver acticle on the net somewhere where they say something like "SCUBA diving is the only sport where you are encouraged to strap a knife to your leg like james bond"

Azza wrote:12 fancy retractor type gauge holder thingies...lasted 2 months each and good old me kept going back just like bart Simpson and the Guinea Pig and electricity episode.

What did you do to them for them to not last that long? I have one and its lasted for ages, in fact the ring in the BCD pocket where it lives has pulled out but the retractor is fine.

To be fair Azza some of your regrets, seem to not be product function based, but based on after sales support (ie no parts etc). Which in my experience tends to be fair for most industries in NZ (ie crap selection, and then stuff all parts, hell even jewelery shops who have huge watch lines won't sell you a strap pin anymore as they don't have any, don't even try to get that mechanical watch you brought off them a few years ago regulated).
wibbleman

Postby Packhorse » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:01 pm

I use a cobra with my doubles and I dont find it hopeless at all. (but then im a lot more strokey than Azza).
The only real let down with the air intergration is that once I switch to my deco gas it doesnt work.

I also strap a knife to my leg (stroke) but its not Xcalabre.

Ahh will I ever learn?
Packhorse

Postby Azza » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:40 pm

Mind me asking why this would be useless for doubles? Surely if you have to turn off its post, it still works as a computer? (and the spg you have on the other post will still work)

Or is it the "law" to just have SPG's on each post? (note i have one of these and love it to bits, and I guess I will eventually end up with doubles some day).

You only have one SPG and that is coming from the left post with a brass SPG (No fancy salt trapper/boot) clipped off to the left hip D ring.

When diving doubles you need your depth and bottom time information on your wrist so you can see it when you need to. Imagine doing your 6 metre stop on Oxygen and having to keep unclipping your computer from your D ring to check your depth all the time. Same with timing as timing is important when moving through your deco shedule. Sure it can be done with a cobra but is less than ideal. I started with one and got rid of it very quickly.
PH does it but he also uses a wrist computer...I only have one computer....I didnt buy all my gear from the internet so cant afford lots of computers :lol: (J/K PH)

Azza wrote:Excalibur sword for inside leg..blunt as fcuk and the biggest entanglement hazard I have ever had...swapped it for a slab of beer so spose it wasn't too bad of a buy...although effectively that was a $100 slab of beer...

I bet you felt like a million bucks with it strapped to your leg though :lol:

Isn't there a first time diver acticle on the net somewhere where they say something like "SCUBA diving is the only sport where you are encouraged to strap a knife to your leg like james bond"

Yeah I did feel like a million bucks, until it kept trapping kelp and such when I was cray hunting. It was also blunt and couldnt cut a thing as well as catching any line and other flotsam in the water.
There is actually a good sharp knife called a Green River that is rather large but cuts through anything...but then I can find anywhere streamlined and out of the way to put it so I stick with my trauma shears and small BCD knife....just fine for most diving

What did you do to them for them to not last that long? I have one and its lasted for ages, in fact the ring in the BCD pocket where it lives has pulled out but the retractor is fine.

I dived a fair bit. In my first year of diving I did 140 dives and my second even more...Maybe I was just too rough with them but they kept breaking on me.

To be fair Azza some of your regrets, seem to not be product function based, but based on after sales support (ie no parts etc).

No I dont agree. The only case of this is my two regs that parts could not be got for....everything else out used it usefulness as my diving progressed
Azza

Postby Packhorse » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:42 pm

Azza is correct. I do use 2 computers. A cobra and a Mosquito (or a uwatec depth timer) So the cobra is a back up.
So Azzas statment would have been more correct as "Cobras are a pain for deco diving as a primary depth timer"

Yeah Im glad I used the internet for my purchase other wise I wouldnt have a cobra or a uwatec (the mosquito came from cash converters).
Packhorse

Postby powley » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:12 pm

wibbleman wrote:hell even jewelery shops who have huge watch lines won't sell you a strap pin anymore as they don't have any, don't even try to get that mechanical watch you brought off them a few years ago regulated).

but why would you buy them when bloke in Milford supplies & fits it for you for 6 bucks
death can be fatal
powley

Postby DonMarcosdeJuan » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:41 am

Packhorse wrote:The only real let down with the air intergration is that once I switch to my deco gas it doesnt work.
?

I have a Nitek He that would fix that problem for you, though I am not sure how much its worth here.

How much have you got to spend??
DonMarcosdeJuan

Postby Hybrid » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:49 am

Packhorse wrote:Azza is correct. I do use 2 computers. A cobra and a Mosquito (or a uwatec depth timer) So the cobra is a back up.
So Azzas statment would have been more correct as "Cobras are a pain for deco diving as a primary depth timer"

Yeah Im glad I used the internet for my purchase other wise I wouldnt have a cobra or a uwatec (the mosquito came from cash converters).

quite a few of my friends first bought Cobra's - while rec diving, then when they progressed to tech diving bought another wirst mounted computer. So they carry backup computers - hanging at the end of the HP hose.

Flipper was saying earlier in the thread about thick gloves. I forgot about my 7mm gloves that I bought that are impossible to do anything with and if you've got wet hands are impossible get into. :D
Hybrid

Postby wibbleman » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:55 am

powley wrote:but why would you buy them when bloke in Milford supplies & fits it for you for 6 bucks

*offtopic* Mainly because I went back to the shop I got it from, in the expectation they would be able to help me, instead they directed me to the auckland watch co (in the mall thingie behind wendys on queen street, and they did it for $5, and did some minor repairs on the strap as well. So due to the lack of anything resembling service, I won't be getting anything from them again.

But the point was, that some shops seem to be only interested in the initial sale, and don't give a poop after that (and these are shops that present them selves as upper middle class shops with the stock they hold, ie tags for $10k, expensive diamonds etc)
wibbleman

Postby Packhorse » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:13 am

DonMarcosdeJuan wrote:I have a Nitek He that would fix that problem for you, though I am not sure how much its worth here.

How much have you got to spend??

Its not that much of a problem. Its just that you dont get the bennifit of AI.
Truth is I probably wouldnt buy another AI computer.
VR3 on the other hand.....
Packhorse

Postby Andy » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:32 am

Packhorse wrote:Truth is I probably wouldnt buy another AI computer.
VR3 on the other hand.....

Good man!

I'll offer to lend you mine in the Dudes forum so Catfish doesn't see it.... :wink:

The ability to re-cut tables whilst on a dive is worth it.
Andy
Serial Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Dive Equipment