I knew I shouldnt have brought that.....

For general discussion about buying gear, configuration and those necessary diving accessories.

I knew I shouldnt have brought that.....

Postby Diverdown » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:18 pm

Since there has been a fair bit of discussion about ones first set of gear. I thought it would be interesting to find out what gear people have purchased when they first started diving or over the years and never needed/wanted to change/was a waste of time and money etc...

Mine would be a Dacor, Air-integrated, Hoseless computer on a huge rubber platform which clipped across the front of your BC. It died 4 times, was replaced 4 times until I changed to a Uwatec. Aswell as looking pretty ugly. Another was a small strobe designed to attatch to your first stage for night dives. Extremely annoying for everyone else in the water and batteries only lasted 20mins into the dive.
Purple is a fruit!
Diverdown

Postby Packhorse » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:22 pm

BC. Should have started with a BP/W
3m inflatable boat. (actully had some great dives outa that)
Ali tanks. Buy steel never regret it.
Packhorse

Re: I knew I shouldnt have brought that.....

Postby Hybrid » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:49 pm

Diverdown wrote:Since there has been a fair bit of discussion about ones first set of gear. I thought it would be interesting to find out what gear people have purchased when they first started diving or over the years and never needed/wanted to change/was a waste of time and money etc...

Mine would be a Dacor, Air-integrated, Hoseless computer on a huge rubber platform which clipped across the front of your BC. It died 4 times, was replaced 4 times until I changed to a Uwatec. Aswell as looking pretty ugly. Another was a small strobe designed to attatch to your first stage for night dives. Extremely annoying for everyone else in the water and batteries only lasted 20mins into the dive.

While, I do have a bit of gear that I don't dive anymore, I have to say that I'm glad I've still got it, it has been used by many other people. I've still got my first Mares BC. Still diving my first set of fins. My first mask is now my back-up mask.

Oooh, I know a dumb thing I bought. You guys seen those plastic things that wrap around your hoses to "protect" them. That was a waste of money! My first computer was a Matrix Master, which had a bar graph up one side of the screen. You could surface when the bar graph was in the green and you were in deco if the graph was in the red....I died - thankfully before a dive. It was junk!
Hybrid

Postby Azza » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:53 pm

Aqualung Wave BCD - Was too big for me but the sales guys said it was sweet. Threw it away

Seaquest Pro QD BCD - Too much fancy crap on it and no decent metal D rings. Wasnt too bad a BCD for a stab jacket but couldnt advance with my diving and cost $1400 and sold it one year later on trade me for $400.

Seaquest Black Diamond BCD - No good for twins, in fact the back peeled off one day and my tanks fell back and smacked me in back of the legs.

Oceanic OceanPro BCD - Had to buy it to teach OW class in...good for fcuk all else...and not even that. In the corner of my garage gathering mould somewhere

Micra (Non adjustable) regs actually were not too bad but costs a fortune to get serviced and needed to be serviced regularly..face plates couldn't come off.

Sporasub something or other reg...died one day and parts not available.

Dacor reg...one of the few that apollo parts wont fit...in the corner somewhere

Scan 4 computer...actually loved that old beast but then when it died you couldnt get parts for it...it also had a bar graph.

Cobra computer - Air integrated computer...$1860 but hopeless for trwin tank diving.

Two x 95 cuft aluminium cylinders with Yoke valves. Was going to buy 12 litre steelies but sales convinced me to buy these instead...fricken useless due to crap buoyancy characteristics. Cant even use 'em for deco cylinders... Wife uses them for her tanks :lol:

Ikelite D8 torch. died 2 months after I bought it and no one could fix it for me, Takes about $56 worth of batteries every time.

Some yellow "Mallet" type torch. No good as cannot be stashed anywhere when not in use. Frequently seen on divers hanging off them by a long yard of rope...I guess thats what you do with them when they are not being used.

Another "mallet" torch bought at same time as first one. Lost it somewhere...probably on purpose.

3 x Scout clone torches...flooded and died all within 3 weeks of each other...

Excalibur sword for inside leg..blunt as fcuk and the biggest entanglement hazard I have ever had...swapped it for a slab of beer so spose it wasn't too bad of a buy...although effectively that was a $100 slab of beer...

Little BCD knife that fell out of holster second dive

Snorkel-Big and floppy. Used for 6 dives until realised was reason why my mask kept getting ripped off my face during crasy hunting in kelp. Now sits in corner

Saeko dive reel. Birds nested and then the handle broke... Threw it at student that broke it...(Just kidding)

Some plastic reel that was supposedly un jammable...actually lasted for 4 years before jammed and then broke handle off it while trying to reel through the Jam with brute strength because I was so pissed off at myself for buying a jamming reel that I was determined to reel the b@stard in no matter what...sitting in corner so I can bludge the line off it...

Dive Rite reel..jammed and I got pissed off and threw it in the corner of the garage...maybe its my technique...

various hoses all with different size nuts on them so one must carry 27 different size spanners to change a hose or o-ring over

12 fancy retractor type gauge holder thingies...lasted 2 months each and good old me kept going back just like bart Simpson and the Guinea Pig and electricity episode.

2 x Black Flower Pots that came on the bottom of my 12 litre steel fabers...not sure what they were for but they grow herbs now

Drysuit LPI connection- different size to any other LPI connection on the market meaning custom hose must be used...this screwed up PH as well :lol:

Edit: Apollo drysuit that wasn't measured properly so I cant reach my valves and it cuts my nut sac in half every time I lift my arms...

OMS facing o-ring manifold that I bought second hand for $450 off my advanced nitrox instructor...then it got destroyed by a dive shop service tec so I flogged it off a slab of beer. My "Flash as Michael Jackson" Sea Elite manifold only cost me $360...*groan*
Last edited by Azza on Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Azza

Postby Hybrid » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:01 pm

Azza wrote:Aqualung Wave BCD - Was too big for me but the sales guys said it was sweet. Threw it away
Seaquest Pro QD BCD - Too much fancy crap on it and no decent metal D rings. Wasnt too bad a BCD for a stab jacket but couldnt advance with my diving and cost $1400 and sold it one year later on trade me for $400.
Seaquest Black Diamond BCD - No good for twins, in fact the back peeled off one day and my tanks fell back and smacked me in back of the legs.
Oceanic OceanPro BCD - Had to buy it to teach OW class in...good for fcuk all else...and not even that. In the corner of my garage gathering mould somewhere

Micra (Non adjustable) regs actually were not too bad but costs a fortune to get serviced and needed to be serviced regularly..face plates couldn't come off.

Sporasub something or other reg...died one day and parts not available.

Dacor reg...one of the few that apollo parts wont fit...in the corner somewhere

Scan 4 computer...actually loved that old beast but then when it died you couldnt get parts for it...it also had a bar graph.

Cobra computer - Air integrated computer...$1860 but hopeless for trwin tank diving.

Two x 95 cuft aluminium cylinders with Yoke valves. Was going to buy 12 litre steelies but sales convinced me to buy these instead...fricken useless due to crap buoyancy characteristics. Cant even use 'em for deco cylinders... Wife uses them for her tanks :lol:

Ikelite D8 torch. died 2 months after I bought it and no one could fix it for me, Takes about $56 worth of batteries every time.

Some yellow "Mallet" type torch. No good as cannot be stashed anywhere when not in use. Frequently seen on divers hanging off them by a long yard of rope...I guess thats what you do with them when they are not being used.

Another "mallet" torch bought at same time as first one. Lost it somewhere...probably on purpose.

3 x Scout clone torches...flooded and died all within 3 weeks of each other...

Excalibur sword for inside leg..blunt as fcuk and the biggest entanglement hazard I have ever had...swapped it for a slab of beer so spose it wasn't too bad of a buy...although effectively that was a $100 slab of beer...

Little BCD knife that fell out of holster second dive

Snorkel-Big and floppy. Used for 6 dives until realised was reason why my mask kept getting ripped off my face during crasy hunting in kelp. Now sits in corner

Saeko dive reel. Birds nested and then the handle broke... Threw it at student that broke it...(Just kidding)

Some plastic reel that was supposedly un jammable...actually lasted for 4 years before jammed and then broke handle off it while trying to reel through the Jam with brute strength because I was so pissed off at myself for buying a jamming reel that I was determined to reel the b@stard in no matter what...sitting in corner so I can bludge the line off it...

Dive Rite reel..jammed and I got pissed off and threw it in the corner of the garage...maybe its my technique...

various hoses all with different size nuts on them so one must carry 27 different size spanners to change a hose or o-ring over

12 fancy retractor type gauge holder thingies...lasted 2 months each and good old me kept going back just like bart Simpson and the Guinea Pig and electricity episode.

Drysuit LPI connection- different size to any other LPI connection on the market meaning custom hose must be used...this screwed up PH as well :lol:

A clear sign of an advanced diver is the huge amount of diving sh|t in the garage collecting dust!
Hybrid

Postby Azza » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:06 pm

Hybrid wrote:A clear sign of an advanced diver is the huge amount of diving sh|t in the garage collecting dust!

Or a sucker for sales staff..I tell ya the Dive Centre did well out of me...I remember them showing me my account on their computer system before I moved to Wellington (2004) and I had spent over $12k with them...and the buggers still charge me $7 for an airfill...
Azza

Postby Diverdown » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:15 pm

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!
You must have a bloody big garage!!

Reminds me of some more. Mini Q40 mask mounted torch x 2, both flooded within 4 dives. Bulbs cost $45 million each. When ever you looked at anyone you blilnded them. :shock:

My Dacor Extreme access computer had a bar graph, actually it had 3. One for deco, one for ascent rate and one for air remaining.
Purple is a fruit!
Diverdown

Postby Azza » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:23 pm

Diverdown wrote:Mini Q40 mask mounted torch x 2, both flooded within 4 dives. Bulbs cost $45 million each. When ever you looked at anyone you blilnded them. :shock:

My Dacor Extreme access computer had a bar graph, actually it had 3. One for deco, one for ascent rate and one for air remaining.

Yeah I had some of them. My buddy kept smacking me in the side of the head every time I wore them and I finally figured out I was blinding him every time I looked at him :lol: I asked him why he didn't say anything and he said he wanted to see how long it took me to catch on :twisted:

Yeah my Scan 4 had 3 bar graphs as well. I remember mine died after the red deco bars went all the way to the end one dive...after that it just stayed at depth and at last count I had about 6 weeks of deco to do :lol:
Azza

Postby Jamie » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:05 am

Thanks for the laugh Azza- that blog brighten up my cold morning!

My sorry gear story revolves around my Dacor RIG BCD. The wt intergrated pouched are only velcro'ed in position. When the velcro gets tired the wt packs fall out. So far I have lead poisoned spots in Great Barrier Island and the Ahaaha island. :evil:

Since sorted the problem with bigger bad bubbles valcro.
Jamie

Postby DiveDiva » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:20 am

When I first started diving I was conned into getting a SEAC Sub Pro Lady BCD, which was a size too big. That particular BC also has velcro pouches, that I nearly lost on more than one occasion.

Now I have a DIVA (of course) LX and I love it. It is so snug and it's great not to have the straps and LPI hose flapping above my head.

DD
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby chickdiver » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:21 pm

Heh hehehehehehe

I wish I had some of my old lics in digital format....

My first set of gear was:

ORANGE Scubapro stab jacket (percursor to the "classic" BC, onl came in orange)
SP MK 5 reg
an old style "Bond girl" wetsuit- women's shorty with french cut legs, long sleeves and a zipper down the front
Jet fins (hmmm... still using those)
chickdiver

Postby Andy » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:38 pm

Mares M1 computer. Works ok underwater, but you can only scroll through the log book in one direction and there are some strange "hold the key dow for 5 seconds to do this, hold it down 7 seconds to do that....

The one direction log book really used to pi$$ me off. Funny, but the VR3 has the same issue but it doesn't annoy me. Maybe because the VR3 is usable and packed full of good features that offset the one quirk I don't like....

A Cobra air integrated computer without a quick disconnect. Man, I used to hate having to carry my whole regs around just to be able to pland and log dives. Quickly sold it on for more than I paid for it, and then bought another one with a quick disconnect.

Just one of those retractor things that Azza bought hundreds of..... what was that about learning curves?? :lol: :lol:

An Ikelite Super-8 torch. This has now got a new lease of life after buying some rechargable batteries which makes it a lot cheaper to use!

My first second-hand twins with a dodgy manifold that I managed to flog on to SpaceKat.... bought a second set of twins, just to get a decent manifold and then sold on the tanks individually. Would have been way easier to just buy pucker stuff up front...

One of those mouldable mouthpieces that supposedly assist jaw fatigue... it made me realise how crooked and mishapen my mouth is, which you then try donating the long hose reg to someone and the punch you in the face because they can't actually hold the reg in their mouth.... :oops: :oops:

My drysuit - the arms are too short and I paid way too much for it at the time.

My Greenforce HID - awesome torch, but the Solus ones are much more robust.... invested too much into the HID to ever be able to sell it on.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Buck Rogers » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:43 pm

My BCD - although I actually really like it, I would like to get a BP/W set up now (just can't afford to with expansion of family!)

The crappy glowstick I paid way too much for at an LDS as they said it would work on multiple night dives - it didn't work on the first dive (damn thing wouldn't glow!!) and I bought a $2 one off packhorse!

also - the crappy tank light I was conned into buying at a different LDS. Was meant to come on automatically at 3m or something. Never worked. Piece of sh1t.

Must stop buying night dive lights I think...

Still releatively new to this lark so don't have a garage full of cast offs yet unlike some of the others here!!

Still a dream for now!
Last edited by Buck Rogers on Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Probably the best dive club in the World... www.sods.co.nz
Buck Rogers

Postby Andy » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:46 pm

chickdiver wrote:an old style "Bond girl" wetsuit- women's shorty with french cut legs, long sleeves and a zipper down the front

I tell ya, some people would pay good money to see that! :lol: :lol:
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Azza » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:17 pm

I forgot to add my Apollo drysuit that wasn't measured properly so I cant reach my valves and it cuts my nut sac in half every time I lift my arms...

OMS facing o-ring manifold that I bought second hand for $450 off my advanced nitrox instructor...then it got destroyed by a dive shop service tec so I flogged it off a slab of beer. My "Flash as Michael Jackson" Sea Elite manifold only cost me $360...*groan*
Azza

Next

Return to Dive Equipment