Weighting

For general discussion about buying gear, configuration and those necessary diving accessories.

Re: Weighting

Postby Andy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:45 pm

3kgs in my stainless steel plate. I can "get by" with 2kg on my weightbelt, but prefer 3kgs. So a total of 6kgs.

That's with a trilam drysuit and steel tanks.

With twins, I'm a little overweighted with just the stainless plate and not weightbelt.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Ali Perkins » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:50 pm

My BCD/wing weighs about 7kg, weight belt 4kg, you can probably add about another kg for all the crap I like to hang off myself, makes about 12kg.

I'm about 164cm, 55kg and use a 10L Faber and 2 piece 7mm wetsuit. Add the camera and I sink like a rock. :D

I'm massively overweighted on twins with no weight belt. I sit on the inflate button the whole way down so I don't wipe out on the bottom.
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby binklebonk » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:41 pm

Hell you can generate another 4-5kgs of lift just with ya lungs if the bag don't do it! :lol:
binklebonk

Postby NEMES1S » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:56 pm

binklebonk wrote:Hell you can generate another 4-5kgs of lift just with ya lungs if the bag don't do it! :lol:

Your thinking hot air balloon styles....right.. :lol:
NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby aquakiwi » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:22 pm

12.5kg in the Lake today and was overweighted, tho I had had a large brekkie.
aquakiwi
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Tony » Sun May 10, 2009 6:07 pm

I'm approx 180cm tall, and approx 115kg. I dive in a two piece 7mm pinnacle wetsuit and use a Mares Rover BCD with either 12l ali or a 15l steel faber. When diving with the 12l Ali I carry about 14.5kg however if I use a steel 12l can usually get away with 12kg. 15l steel faber use same weighting as 12l steel 12kg. + in each case the weight of the bottle, BCD and any other equipment carried on the dive. On a good day I can get away with less weight still. I think it improves with skill level and confidence in the water as well as good observation of other divers and instructors, oh yeah and with fitness. Before doing courses with Jamie Obern (courses - advanced, rescue, wreck, DM, PPB, equipment) and Andy Connor (courses SRD & Nitrox) I dived with between 17 - 20kg. All weights above listed for seawater situations In the lake 10kg about right weighting with same gear. I'm happier with less weight, look forward to the day I can dive with as little as some of the other people posting here.
You know the speed of light. So what is the speed of dark?
Tony

Postby Andy » Sun May 10, 2009 10:05 pm

Tony wrote:On a good day I can get away with less weight still.

I'm fairly certain you can chop another at least another 2kgs off your weightbelt Tony. One day, I'll do what I did to the wife - slip the weight out when you're not looking and see how you go! :lol:
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Tony » Tue May 12, 2009 11:44 pm

Yeah and i'll bet you get away with it too, and i'll probably dive not being the wiser. Managed the Rainbow on 7 plus the weight of the 15l, after the gear issues, bit difficult to get down? Will have to do some experiments I guess.
You know the speed of light. So what is the speed of dark?
Tony

Postby ChuckyBob » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:03 pm

I got a spade and dug up this old thread.

Im interested in what weight people use.

How much lead do you use?
What sort of suit do you have?
What tanks/CCR do you use
What is your height/weight?

I use 3kgs of lead ( as a trim weight up high not on a belt)
Dry suit ( wet suit is same)
rEvo3 CCR
1.7meters 90 kgs,

I have noticed on my last 2 dive trips ( both in September) that I had a little trouble staying/getting down. I think my tanks have swelled or something.
ChuckyBob

Postby AndrewRawlingson » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:15 pm

single steel 12 or 15 litre +/- side slung ali40 with membrane drysuit + fourth element artic undersuit = 2.5 kg s/s backplate + 6 - 8 kg lead. i'm 5'11, average build :)
AndrewRawlingson

Previous

Return to Dive Equipment