How much light is too much light?

For general discussion about buying gear, configuration and those necessary diving accessories.

Re: How much light is too much light?

Postby ChuckyBob » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:23 pm

ChuckyBob

Postby binklebonk » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:18 pm

Hmmm... You think maybe he's trying to compensate for something? :lol:

But seriously that's an intense torch. Can't think of where it'd ever be useful and it is using technology not far removed from a burning stick of wood but yup that's a lot of light!
binklebonk

Postby Drip » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:36 pm

binklebonk wrote:Hmmm... You think maybe he's trying to compensate for something?

I don't care. Give me a BIG Yacht and a small willy any day. I like the look of that Sauron Mace for a new Dive Knife too!
Drip

Postby binklebonk » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:00 pm

Drip wrote:
binklebonk wrote:Hmmm... You think maybe he's trying to compensate for something?

I don't care. Give me a BIG Yacht and a small willy any day.

Huh? Na I was thinking that he was afraid of the dark...

Man that must be salt in the wound not having a BIG yacht.... :wink:
binklebonk

Postby Drip » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:34 pm

"HA!" :lol:
Drip

Postby craigsmith » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:53 pm

In my opinion it depends to condition to condition.
if you are diving in night then you need more light and also in cave diving you need more light.
craigsmith

Postby martysimpson » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:42 pm

I have been following the posts on dive torches with interest. There is a lot of confusing information out there about what the best primary ones are. I don't want to spend much more than $300 considering I am still a novice diver. On Trade Me there are a lot of new torches for sale. One that interests me is the Blaze XM-L. It boasts "the worlds brightest LED diving torch". At 3000 Lumens it may very well be but that is a huge statement and makes me suspicious from the start especially as the price for the whole kit is $279.00. Is this too good to be true? Has anyone used it and if so what is your verdict?
martysimpson

Postby ChuckyBob » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:54 pm

Too good to be true.

Most of these lights that come out of china are of quite poor quality.
This does not matter much for most lights, but when it comes to dive lights it means many dont survive their first dive.

If you do end up buying one the first thing you should do it strip it down and clean it up and reassemble it using new O rings. This will increase its survivability odds some what.

As for specs, For a light to produce 3000 lumen form 3 XML LED's it will require draw about 30 watts.
It looks like it takes 2 x 26650 Li Ion cells. These are about 3.7v x 4000ma( They are NOT 5000ma as advertised) =14.8watt hours each.
So one paper you will get nearly 1 hour of run time. In reality you will either get substantially less run time or lumen ( or both).

I have the same LED's and reflector set up here. I have not used it in a dive light, but it does produce a lot of light. I dont particularly like the beam pattern as its quite a flood light and not really suited to the conditions I find my self diving in 90 % of the time.
ChuckyBob

Postby martysimpson » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:18 pm

Thanks for the info ChuckyBob. I get your drift, don't consider it too seriously. What would you recommend for primary and secondary dive torches then considering I am a novice diver but have already enjoyed night diving.
martysimpson

Postby ChuckyBob » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:11 am

I make all my own lights due to what is available on the market either really crap or quite pricy.
Perhaps buy 5 of these lights, replace all the O rings, take them all for a few dives with no batteries and see if any leak. Then go buy a load of eneloop NiMh cells. Be warned that this light will not produce 500 lumen as claimed as it uses a LED rated at 250 lumen, but 250 lumen is still a respectable amount of light.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/scuba-s ... 729352.htm

If you want more light or longer run time then consider a can light.
ChuckyBob

Previous

Return to Dive Equipment