Part 1 - What did you buy that you really love?

For general discussion about buying gear, configuration and those necessary diving accessories.

Part 1 - What did you buy that you really love?

Postby Andy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:33 pm

Everyone has got something, that special piece of kit that just makes diving "right". So what is it?

For me, it's got to be my current drysuit, a made to measure Bare HD Tech Dry front zip trilaminate suit. The first one was pretty good, but it ended up delaminating, so I took the option to make a few tweaks to the suit.

Just having a suit that fits, is comfortable, has the flexibility to move in is magic.

So what about you?

As well as "buy" we should also "make", as I'm sure Greg (ChuckyBob) will have a bits of home made stuff that will top his list...... what will it be, Greg? The modified IDA or one of the lights??
Andy
Serial Poster

Re: Part 1 - What did you buy that you really love?

Postby Cameron_R » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Ditto on the dry suit. I have one of these

Except I'm normally smiling like a crazy man :mrgreen:

It has transformed my diving. 85% of my dives are with a very focused photographer, so I don't get to swim around much. Winter dives used to be unbearable after 30mins - now I'm the one getting in trouble for hanging around too long :twisted:

I am going to add a P-valve soon. If I had my time again, I would have got the P-valve from the manufacturer and the front entry version. Other than that, the Hunter Pro-VSN 1100 (the dry suit I have) is brilliant. It is a tri-lam, yet has some give so you can move freely whilst in it, even with a very tight/close fitting suit.
Last edited by Cameron_R on Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cameron_R

Postby Andy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:37 pm

Yeah, I need to put my p-valve in to my suit as well. They are awesome inventions, I just find it so hard to actually cut the hole in the drysuit.....
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby binklebonk » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:25 pm

Well I've bought some new kit recently but till my Rebreather course in 9 days I only have pool trials to go on as far as my impressions of the unit are concerned. The Shearwater Predator that I bought to go with the RB has had a fair few dives on it and I have to say it's hands down the best computer I have used. It's just so stupidly simple to use. I thought the Suunto menu structure was easy to navigate but the shearwater makes even that seem complicated.

Innit purdy?

It's a toss up between that and my never flood super comfy cressi matrix mask.. :)
binklebonk

Postby ChuckyBob » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:52 pm

Thats simple.My lathe.
Sure I cant dive with it but I have made heaps of cool dive gear with it.
A P vavle, My "Ring of light" macro lighting system, primary and backup lights and several pieces for my rebreather.

ChuckyBob

Postby dirchas » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:31 pm

My TLS350 - found it on Trade me for $200 (yes thats $200) and it fits like a cave cut. Admittedly it needs a new zip but it will still owe me less than $1200 with the zip and explorer pockets / pee valve fitted (both of which I already had spare).

My other favorite piece of kit is my Halcyon spool, I just love that little sucker.
If only life were as simple on the surface.....
dirchas

Postby NEMES1S » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:45 pm

Must say that I love my SCUBAPRO G250Vs ...
They breathe like a dream...

I also like Bink have scored a SHEARWATER and they are a fabulous Tech Computer,doing a dive in Taravana and having the entire deco profile pop up and just follow it with ease was super cool,very nice to use and as Rob said ultra simple user interface.

Last but not least .....!!!

MY HALCYON BACKPLATE

NEMES1S
Moderator / NIGHTDIVERS99 Crew

Postby Paul » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:04 am

While I love my trusty KISS it is made up of a number of different components that fit together just nicely. Th biggest impact piece of kit that I've got would have to be the shearwater pursuit that I originally got. The predator is seriously cool too, it doesn't do anything that the pursuit did except that most awesome OLED display, so the impact of the switch from pursuit to predator was as much as the original switch I made to the pursuit.

It was a big spend and I was certainly worried that I'd dive it and be left wondering why I really needed it. The opposite happened. It was an absolute dream. I still remember my first dive with it. It was a night dive out at rocky bay and I just fell in love with the ambient light sensor that detects im in a dark place and automagically keeps the back light on. Very handy when going into a wreck too. No need to push any buttons. There are also alot of rebreather specific features that I love. At any depth, at the push of a button it tells me the PO2 of my dill at that depth, makes it so easy doing a dill flush to check that number matches the displays. The previous method was to do some mental math (or just carry a slate) which normally required you moving to the nearest 5m depth increment to work out what the PO2 should be.... and other cools stuff like that.
Who needs a hobby when you have an obsession?
Paul

Postby Drip » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:16 am

My favourite peice is my Apollo 'fin'.
Driving 6 hours down the coast to work with my buddy installing granite kitchen-tops, I lost one of my Oceanic fins out the back of the ute (bloody Kangaroo I had to swerve I bet! :x ) . Getting to Merimbula, one of the guys at the Merimbula Dive Lodge was cool enough to give me a spare fin which they had just found the day before. Like Cindarella, I was odd-finned, but underwater I was very, very happy chappy.
Drip

Postby Andy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:25 am

It's interesting the range from the big to the small!

Something that I really love are my DSS bungy mounts for my Vytec and compass:

At US$12 a pop, it's money well spent and adds a lot of joy to every dive.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby ChuckyBob » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:35 pm

I wish my VR3 had something like that but all options I have seen add significant bulk to the computer.
ChuckyBob

Postby Andy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:51 pm

ChuckyBob wrote:I wish my VR3 had something like that but all options I have seen add significant bulk to the computer.

You can fudge it with a couple of loops of bungee - I'll try and take a picture of what I've done with mine later on.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby ChuckyBob » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:14 pm

Yeah, I guess you can run the bungee through the slots for the OEM strap. But it would have to be quite thin and it would mean the bungee straps would be quite close to each other meaning it would be a bit wobbly. Mine you it cant be worse that the strap I have on it now.
ChuckyBob

Postby dirchas » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:34 pm

Andy wrote:
Something that I really love are my DSS bungy mounts for my Vytec and compass:

At US$12 a pop, it's money well spent and adds a lot of joy to every dive.

Hi Andy,

Have you found yours splitting on the bungee holes in the corner? I noticed both John and Steves have done this, I'm quite keen to get some as well and at that price who cares if they split after 50 dives or so but thought you may know if the manufacturer had address this issue?

Cheers
Chas
If only life were as simple on the surface.....
dirchas

Postby Andy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:02 pm

dirchas wrote:Have you found yours splitting on the bungee holes in the corner? I noticed both John and Steves have done this, I'm quite keen to get some as well and at that price who cares if they split after 50 dives or so but thought you may know if the manufacturer had address this issue?

Mine has been fine, it's been on Vytec for about three years and I've had no problems.

I'll ask Tobin (from DSS) whether he has had many issues and whether he has changed the design at all, and I'll get back to you.
Andy
Serial Poster

Next

Return to Dive Equipment