OmniSwivel

For general discussion about buying gear, configuration and those necessary diving accessories.

OmniSwivel

Postby ScubaDog » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:01 pm

Does anyone know if you can get OmniSwivel adaptors in NZ?
ScubaDog

Re: OmniSwivel

Postby ChuckyBob » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:17 pm

Funny you should ask as I haved just PM'd another board user about Omni swivel.
AFAIK there is no NZ agent. Plenty of US based ones though.
My guess is you are looking to plug in some off board gas?

For this I decided on Swagelok QC6's due to their DESO design ( double Ended Shut Off). I see this as far superiour to the Omni swivel system except for compatability. BC inflators, DS inflators and other CCR divers can also be compatable with Omni swivel.
I decided to stick with QC6's and standard inflator QC's.
ChuckyBob

Postby ScubaDog » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:07 pm

So where did u get those from? .... might be able to swap some condoms for the info :-)
ScubaDog

Postby ChuckyBob » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:55 pm

ebay is the best. But you need to know what you are looking for since there are keyed ones and non keyed ones. Also they have a wide range of fittings. Barb, tube and NPT all in different sizes + male and female+ brass and SS + DESO vd SESO . You can get them from $20 each US vs well over $100NZ local.
ChuckyBob

Postby ChuckyBob » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:20 am

You are best to do a search on RBW since there is a wealth of info and opinons there about QC's.
I may have been wrong about omni parts for BC's and dry suit inflators, I may be confused with CJEN ( I think CJEN is like the scubapro AIR 2 QC).

Things to consider in QC's for rebreather use
Flow rate
compatability with other gear and or divers
Amount of water immersion if connected under water. ( very bad for CMF valves!!)
QC's seal both ends when disconnected (Double End Shut Off or DESO vs Single End Shut Off)
Cost
Swagelok wins on all accounts except compatability. This may be an issue on BIG dives with other RB divers but its not a concern for me at the mo or any time soon.
Omni swivel use check vavles on the male QC. These will stop gas escaping from the QC but it the external pressure is higher than the internal pressure water will get in! For this to happen though your gas lines would have to be empty which isnt all that likely unless you entered the water with no gas turned on or pre charged.

All QC's will allow a small amount of water immersion when connected under water. Swageloks will probably allow the least while I think Omni will allow more due to the lack of DESO and the internal space of the male QC before the check valve. Dont connect the gas line in the water and there is no issue.

I am told dive gear express sell omni swivel. Let me know if you are going to order them since I also need some gear from there.
ChuckyBob

Return to Dive Equipment