Erma and aussie steel tanks

For general discussion about buying gear, configuration and those necessary diving accessories.

Erma and aussie steel tanks

Postby Busted » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:32 am

These idiots again...

I have just brought in a couple of Faber tanks, paid the money in July to find that ERMA then sit on the application and don't do anything.

Until 1/8/10, when they have no decided not to approve any steel tanks brought in from Aussie under BS5045/1/cm/s, as they are now only accepting steel tanks manufactured to BS5045/7 or equivalent even though Aussie is still using BS5045/1/cm/s.

It appears that the only country using BS5045/7 is the UK, and they are even planning on dropping it for a combined euro standard to get around the conformity issue.

And, to top it off Faber as still under the impression that NZ is only accepting BS5045/1/cm/s. FFS! As we all know, these tanks come off the same dies and production lines and then get stamped with the required neck roll stamp for the country of import...
Busted

Re: Erma and aussie steel tanks

Postby binklebonk » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:30 pm

Busted wrote: FFS! As we all know, these tanks come off the same dies and production lines and then get stamped with the required neck roll stamp for the country of import...

Mate the sooner you drop any notion you may have that any of this is logical or that logic can play any part in resolution of the situation the happier you'll be....

Have you seen a movie called "Brazil"?

If not, watch it and all will become clear.
:|
binklebonk

Postby Andy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:30 pm

Hey Rob, you scare me at times..... I thought I was the only person who had ever seen that movie.

Re: tanks. Yes, it makes no sense. But it's fairly clear that it doesn't make sense - there is always a risk in importing tanks that they won't get approved.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby binklebonk » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:41 pm

I saw Brazil when I was about 13..

You parents out there, never ever let a 13 year old watch Brazil!
binklebonk

Postby DeepPenetrator » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:14 pm

binklebonk wrote:I saw Brazil when I was about 13..

Ive had that sitting on my H/D for months. Might have to watch it now so i know what the hell your going on about... :lol:
DeepPenetrator

Postby Andy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:34 pm

DeepPenetrator wrote:Ive had that sitting on my H/D for months. Might have to watch it now so i know what the hell your going on about... :lol:

It is a "must watch" film.... though the ninja-aircon engineers are a bit bizarre....

... totally agree with Rob, it's a 16+ movie. I reckon you get the most out of it if you've read both 1984 and Brave New World. A classic double bill would be Clockwork Orange followed by Brasil.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby binklebonk » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:00 pm

DeepPenetrator wrote:
binklebonk wrote:I saw Brazil when I was about 13..

Ive had that sitting on my H/D for months. Might have to watch it now so i know what the hell your going on about... :lol:

There's a very good chance that at the end of the movie you will never know what anyone (including yourself) is going on about again...

You have been warned.

You tube doco.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBFqVMSD ... re=related
binklebonk

Postby DeepPenetrator » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:24 pm

I shall take your warning into consideration :D but i am now far too intrigued not to watch it!

1984 & A Clockwork Orange are good movies to, if you like a bit of the old in - out... :lol: Didn't Shihad use some of that movie in one of their music vids?
DeepPenetrator

Postby Busted » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:11 pm

True dat. Still, I feel for the guys that are in retail as ALL faber steels currently manufactured for NZ are under BS5045/1. Even those still on the water with factory LAB #'s and which under the new rule are not able to be used...

The major piss off is that I asked ERMA prior to importation and all was clear and above board for the tanks that I imported, so this isn't just my two it's a sledge hammer to crack a nut approach (again). Seems they changed their mind somewhere along the line. The piss-off with this is this is EVERY STEEL TANK with the BS5045/1 markings, not just mine. I'm at a loss as to what is going to happen with the tanks inbound and yet to be landed or those still to be sold and placed into service in NZ...

I'm awaiting a reply from Faber directly for confirmation of standards, but they must be scratching their heads.
Busted

Postby DiveDR » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:53 pm

Hey Busted you are correct it is going to get interesting, states on the ERMA register of "Previously approved cylinder standards"

BS 5045.1 Transportable gas containers. Specification for seamless steel gas containers above 0.5 litre water capacity
"Withdrawn by British Standards May 2000. Replaced by BS 5045-7:2000, BS EN 1964-1:2000."

And then in the "approved cylinder standards"

BS 5045-7:2000 Transportable gas containers. Specification for seamless steel gas containers of water capacity 0.5 L up to 15 L for special portable application Together with BS EN 1964-1:2000 supersedes BS 5045-1:1982.
www.divedoctor.co.nz - everything diving
DiveDR

Return to Dive Equipment