Paihia Bomb

For general discussion about buying gear, configuration and those necessary diving accessories.

Paihia Bomb

Postby SonnyL » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:19 pm

Hi,

During my previous dive at Northland Dive,I was literally throwing up the moment we got onto the boat until the moment we get off the boat! :oops: IT WAS EMBARRASSING! I guess there are reasons why I enjoy cave diving more than ocean diving..

Back in US, I use Triptone to control my seasickness, but there wasn't any for sale here in NZ. I was told of the miracle drug call Paihia Bombs!Does anyone have a couple to spare to let me try it out before I go ahead and get a crap ton of it?

Thanks.
"Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast"
SonnyL

Re: Paihia Bomb

Postby Cameron_R » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:54 pm

Hey Sonny, I don't have any bombs, but I use SeaLegs.

Active ingredient is listed as 12.5mg Meclozine Hydrochloride BP

You can get it from any chemist in Auckland.

Works a treat for me
Cameron_R

Postby Andy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:18 pm

I don't know if it's changed, but you only used to be able to get Paihia Bombs from the one pharmacist in Paihia.

They do post them out, but are not overly friendly on the phone - call them on (09) 402 7034.

I've used them a couple of times and they do work. Just be warned they have a fairly high caffeiene content to offset some of the other active ingredients that are somewhat soporific.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby ChuckyBob » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:33 pm

Ginger is said to work but there is no scientific evidence to support it.

Otherwise just spark up a big spliff. This does have scientific evidence to support its anti nausea properties.
ChuckyBob

Postby SonnyL » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:09 am

Thanks guys for the suggestion. I have tried Sealegs, ginger, bands, other scientific and housewives tales on helping with seasickness, but I just keep throwing up! :oops:

Thanks Andy, I will give them a call. I will have to keep watch on the high caffeine content though..thanks for the reminder. It reminds me of an incident when I had 2 large cups of Starbucks coffee, and one guarana-containing energy drink... and I was all wound up..Step off the platform into the water without my mask, fins and winds not inflated! :shock:
SonnyL

Postby ScubaDog » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:15 am

Paihia bombs are not really suitable for diving due to the active ingredients. They are great for sea sickness and was only available from the Paihia Pharmacy on order. Also remember that seasickness has a physco element to it as well. Your body likes habit - if your brain thinks you get seasick on a boat then it starts preparing to be sick - you will have to force yourself out of that thinking to get the best effect from the medication

All seasickness medication has side effects; the main ones being sickness, sleepiness, dry mouth, and vertigo.

What I like to give people to help prevent seasickness when diving is lots of fresh air, focus on the horizon, strong distraction techniques and ginger beer - there are some studies that do show that ginger does help with nausea from chemo - very hard to treat (sorry ChuckyBob), the fluids help reverse dehydration, there are lots of electrolytes and although lots of people say you should avoid carbonated drinks, I use them to help de-pressurize the stomach from the involuntarily air swallowing.

So you have to convence yourself not to be sick for the best effect from the meds - so try them again, except the sea bands, they are just magical thinking - they have been tested by the Royal Navy and found to be no better than the placebo effect. So take a medication and get both the chemical and placebo effect
ScubaDog

Postby SonnyL » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:23 am

@ScubaDog... Thanks... I will brave it again. Didn't know what is in Paihia bomb so it's good to get your advise on this matter.
SonnyL

Postby Cameron_R » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:09 pm

I know many many people who dive after taking Paihia bombs with no ill effect, and have done for the last 10 years.

disclaimer; That, of course, is what I like to call bro-science. ie is not a guarantee that you will be fine.
Cameron_R

Postby Scuba Sam » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:51 pm

My buddies and I have great success with Paihia Bombs, including live-a boards in Coral Sea, several days in a row, and Three Kings trip. Formula has changed since I first started taking them. My understanding is there are three ingredients - an anti histamine, anti naus and caffeine to counteract the drowsy effect of the anti histamine. I always think it best to try new medicine on land before trying it diving and also try with an easy dive with your regular dive buddies before on a live aboard. Are Paihia Bombs still avail?
Scuba Sam

Return to Dive Equipment