Tank testing

For general discussion about buying gear, configuration and those necessary diving accessories.

Tank testing

Postby divemaster » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:45 pm

I was out with a guy in the weekend who had to collect a tank from the local dive shop prior to 'going out'

He had purchased the tank less than 12 months prior (about 6 -8 months prior) from the same shop.
However the tank was required to have a hydro.

I was doing some sums and figure that the tank was 12-18 months old when sold.
Has anyone had this happen to them?
Surely a new tank should have a new test when sold....

Cheers
DM.
divemaster

Re: Tank testing

Postby MikeB » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:49 pm

Stock can take a while to move; by the time it is imported, warehoused by the distributor, sold to the dive shop, then finally sold to the customer, it is not uncommon for tanks to need a visual or sometimes even a hydro.

Really a matter to bring up for discussion with the dive shop who sold the tank. I would generally do it at the time of sale, and negotiate the first test free or something similar.

In this case, the shop isn't obliged to do anything but they often will if you raise the point with them. I think it's really a case of buyer beware - check the manufacture date when you buy.
MikeB

Postby ChuckyBob » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:58 pm

Yeah, been there before. Most dive shops will account for it in the sale.... if they value the customer.
ChuckyBob

Postby divemaster » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:59 pm

I was with him when he collected the tank.

When he challenged the owner of the shop, he just shrugged his shoulders.
Not even a free fill as compensation.
divemaster

Postby AndrewRawlingson » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:48 pm

Which shop?
AndrewRawlingson

Postby ChuckyBob » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:42 am

On one hand the dive shop has exactly the same issue. They buy tanks that the importer has had in stock for a few months too.

On the other hand a free air fill or two isnt going to cost the dive shop all that much but it will buy a lot of good will.

In the end you mate can put up with it or go somewhere else ( and probably get the same treatment).

AndrewRawlingson wrote:Which shop?

Yeah, name and shame! :twisted:
ChuckyBob

Postby AndrewRawlingson » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:48 am

I just bought a cylinder from a shop. It was out of test, they did a visual and I believe that the test status was reflected in the price.
AndrewRawlingson

Postby divemaster » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:02 am

I won't let on the name of the shop, as I wouldn't want the board to be sued..

That said, I would have thought that the definition of 'new' when it comes to a dive tank refers to a tank that has 2 years until it's next hydro.
So, this might be something that the commerce commission may need to investigate, highlighting practices that would seem 'unsavory'.

The question I would have for the shop is.. Did they have it in stock for nearly 18 months or did it come from a supplier like that.
Either way, this means that the buyer paid full price for 'old stock'
divemaster

Postby ChuckyBob » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:51 am

divemaster wrote:I won't let on the name of the shop, as I wouldn't want the board to be sued..

How the can the board be sued for stating a fact?

My understanding of "New" is that it is unused. Its not practical to sell tanks that have just passed a hydro test considering they are made off shore, sea freighted to NZ and a fairly slow moving item. I doubt the commerce commission would be interested.

When you say the buyer paid full price, what was the price they paid and for what tank? If they did indeed pay full retail then I think they need to shop smarter.
ChuckyBob

Postby divepirate » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:43 am

Good points.
Firstly, you cant be sued for fact. Only spectulation.
(I dont think we need to name and shame the organisation concerned, merely reading this forum topic will be enough to highlight awareness).

There is a debate here as to what constitutes 'new', one would think a 'new' tank would have 2 years (or thereabouts) until the requirement for a hydyo, even though it may be unused.
When we consider the implications, a cylinder that has sat around in a warehouse for a year and a half, could be considered to be 'old stock' and buyers need to know what to look for when buying a cylinder.

such as:
Manufacturing date;
Last Hydro Date;
Last visual date (if any);
painting of tank;
Price of tank.
Matt.
Forum Administrator.

I cant think of anything more relaxing, than being in the downunder, breathing some nice clean fresh filtered 21% nitrox.
divepirate
Forum Administrator

Postby divemaster » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:47 am

I agree, it does no good to name and shame, I will however happily e-mail the thread to the shop, perhaps they might care to comment.

From what I understand, the diver concerned was fresh out of an openwater course, and took the 'qualified' advice from the shop owner.
The tank was a Catalina, and upon (outside) visual inspection, there was corrosion under the paint which I would expect from an 18 month old tank.

The purchaser paid the asking price for the tank and valve.
divemaster

Postby MikeB » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:15 am

divemaster wrote:there was corrosion under the paint which I would expect from an 18 month old tank.

What do you mean by this? If a tank is new and hasn't yet been in the water - there should be no corrosion, even if it has sat around a shop for a while...

Was it actually a new tank? Or did they purchase an ex-rental?
MikeB

Postby divemaster » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:14 pm

The tank was sold as new, what was done with the tank prior to use may be questionable.

the tank was only used by the diver for 3-4 months.
there was corrosion between the alloy and the paint, which has lifted off the paint.

I wouldnt expect this to happen for years, let alone 4 months.
divemaster

Return to Dive Equipment