Minimalistic.

For general discussion about buying gear, configuration and those necessary diving accessories.

Re: Minimalistic.

Postby AndrewRawlingson » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:46 pm

Cameron_R wrote:Also, a question: what is the thinking behind those who have said they carry 2 cutting devices? Why bother with 2?

thinking about entanglement, i might not be able to access one or the other.
AndrewRawlingson

Postby ChuckyBob » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:02 am

Cameron_R wrote:
Also, a question: what is the thinking behind those who have said they carry 2 cutting devices? Why bother with 2?

Its hard to shuck scallops with shears. And if you see a shark its easier to stab your buddy with a knife and then swim away. :mrgreen:

Of course I'm joking about the shark comment. I'd be taking photos not swimming away!!

2 Different types of cutting utensils for different needs. Plus as Andrew pointed out if you are entangled you may not be able to reach one or may drop it!

Personally if I only had the choice of one it would be shears.
ChuckyBob

Postby binklebonk » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:10 am

Cameron_R wrote:I would recommend that you keep the computer hose and add to it a simple analogue SPG. It is very comforting having something that will never ever fail monitoring your gas supply!
I have had a few sets of gear on my service bench that have had "optimistic" gauges.. They should be checked for accuracy when your gear is serviced.
Also, a question: what is the thinking behind those who have said they carry 2 cutting devices? Why bother with 2?

I have one of those trilobite cutters http://eezycut.com mounted in a pouch on my Shearwater straps. I also sometimes have trauma shears in a pocket or on the waist. I never bother with a knife as I just don't see that as a useful tool.
binklebonk

Postby JasonVampireSquid » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:19 pm

I think its also about the type of Diving one does.
Like, I would not bother with a 2nd Mask and a few other things.
Also, I'm very 'prevention better than cure' and superstitious with 'anything to go wrong, on the surface, rather than below.'
But I like the minimalistic approach.
I am not attracted by the Techie amount of gadgets, tanks, needs, etc. - this is where I leap-frog into a submersible instead.
JasonVampireSquid

Previous

Return to Dive Equipment