Minimalistic.

For general discussion about buying gear, configuration and those necessary diving accessories.

Minimalistic.

Postby divepirate » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:12 am

Since getting back in the water, I have been slowly getting my gear to a 'minimalistic' level.
Rather than have hoses everywhere with all sorts of the assorted plethora of octi's computers, 2nd stages etc etc, I am slowly reducing the amount of hoses out of the 1st stage.
and after being 'bought up' on BCD type buoyancy, I am starting to look at BP&W type setups, which I am finding much more pleasurable to dive with.

Initial setup was 1st stage, 2nd stage, Octi, Computer (AI) and of course inflator.
With the addition of a companion (inflator octi), I reduced one 'appendage'.

My next step is to a 'sender' computer with a wrist mount.
This will remove the need for a 'HP Air Integrated hose'.

This will reduce me down to 2 hoses, 1 primary 2nd stage and inflator hose.

Any recommendations for hoseless AI wrist computers would be appreciated (what are you using)
Matt.
Forum Administrator.

I cant think of anything more relaxing, than being in the downunder, breathing some nice clean fresh filtered 21% nitrox.
divepirate
Forum Administrator

Re: Minimalistic.

Postby AndrewRawlingson » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:22 pm

very neat, but opinions are mixed on combined octopus/inflator and air integrated computers. i know a lot people who dive with a hoseless air integrated computer, but have a traditional SPG as well. i don't have strong opinions either way, just food for thought.
AndrewRawlingson

Postby divemaster » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:01 pm

Two air hoses..
this is starting to head down the DIR path.
streamlining etc.

Belt and braces B&B is my comment.
Backups and Buddies. batteries go flat, and hoses rupture.

do you have any special redundancies?
divemaster

Postby divepirate » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:06 pm

I am currently carrying a spare air, for backup in case of hose rupture.
As far as computers go, I used to have 2 wrist computers, but am down to one, and an AI HP integrated computer.

I aim to stay with the wrist comp, and an AI wrist computer, (horseless).
If there is a battery meltdown in the transmitter or the Wireless, there will be sufficient with the 'other computer to enable surfacing.
Matt.
Forum Administrator.

I cant think of anything more relaxing, than being in the downunder, breathing some nice clean fresh filtered 21% nitrox.
divepirate
Forum Administrator

Postby AndrewRawlingson » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:02 pm

divemaster wrote:this is starting to head down the DIR path.
streamlining etc.

dir, don't think that applies to me :lol:

divemaster wrote:do you have any special redundancies?

nothing special, but i usually carry the following:

2 masks
2 sources of gas
2 computers
2 dsmb
2 cutting devices
2 torches
AndrewRawlingson

Postby MikeB » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:04 pm

How to you plan to adequately donate gas to your buddy?

What do you plan to do when the computer looses the transmitter signal mid-dive? Abort?
MikeB

Postby ChuckyBob » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:14 pm

I have no issues with octi inflaters. I used one for quite awhile on my single tank set up and found it breathed much better than a lot of cheap octis. Would never use it on a deco dive though. I think if you carry a pony/bail out tank then there is nothing wrong with a octi inflater.
I even tried one on my rEvo at one stage. It allowed me access to a tank I could not access otherwise unless I added a 2nd stage reg which I didnt want to do. But I found the size of it was a hassle on that set up.

As for Spare airs....They are great.... if you want to run out of air twice!! Do the math and see how much air you need to ascend from 30meters+. A spare air wont do it.

Not a fan of wireless computers either. A simple SPG on the correct length hose clipped off correctly works a treat.

Big fan of back plate wings! Still cant figure out why they are not suggested more for new divers???

Redundancy.

2 masks
2 cutting devices ( knife and shears)
2 SMB's orange and yellow
2 lights
5.7 litre tank for no deco dives
ChuckyBob

Postby ChuckyBob » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:19 pm

MikeB wrote:How to you plan to adequately donate gas to your buddy?

Do you mean when using a octi inflater? Easy. Pass over your primary 2nd stage and ascend breathing off your octi inflater. Its easy to do. Just not recommended for deco/overhead environments.
What do you plan to do when the computer looses the transmitter signal mid-dive? Abort?
Indeed a good question. How relaible are these wireless SPG's these days? If they drop out how likely is it they will reconnect?
ChuckyBob

Postby divepirate » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:27 pm

MikeB wrote:How to you plan to adequately donate gas to your buddy?

Any transmitter failure should mean a mid dive abort, in any (non overhead environment - different setup)
This would be the same on any other dive.. equipment failure means abort.

Chuckybob, agree, spare air to 15 m, anything over that, and a pony, or second 'stage' bottle should be used.

remember most 'advanced' trained divers wouldnt even carry a second air source when diving the 'rainbow warrior' Or similar depth.
Matt.
Forum Administrator.

divepirate
Forum Administrator

Postby MikeB » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:05 pm

Do you mean when using a octi inflater? Easy. Pass over your primary 2nd stage and ascend breathing off your octi inflater. Its easy to do. Just not recommended for deco/overhead environments.

Yes - I understand that would be the plan. But sharing gas off a short primary hose, even in a recreational setting is far from ideal. The divers are forced to be pretty much on top of each other, which can result in even higher stress levels (adding to those of the current OOG situation). In this case, the diver would need to donate from the mouth to the OOG diver. I think this is great, but is would be better to do it with a hose of a suitable length. The donating diver then has to switch onto the combined inflator/octi. I don't really have any personal experience with these, apart from seeing a few incidents caused by them (Greg do you remember that incident with a RB diver at the cowshed a while back? Think Phil was diving with him at the time...). I don't really understand why you would remove a potential third regulator from your arsenal.

Having a second gas source can sometimes add a sense of security that isn't warranted. Most of these devises when used by recreational divers are positioned in a way that they are not easily accessible, and they are often poorly maintained. As Greg pointed out, the gas volume in a spare air isn't sufficient for much. I believe diving with properly trained buddies and obeying "minimum gas" rules negates the use of these "second air" sources.
MikeB

Postby MikeB » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:09 pm

Any transmitter failure should mean a mid dive abort

My experience with them has been that they do fail frequently. So not having a primary SPG may meant you have to abort quite a few dives...
MikeB

Postby divepirate » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:14 pm

Good feedback, which ones have you had which have had issues.
It would be interesting to see what the manufacturers take on it is...
Matt.
Forum Administrator.

divepirate
Forum Administrator

Postby MikeB » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:15 pm

Suunto and Uwatec.
MikeB

Postby AndrewRawlingson » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:02 pm

I had a Suunto transmitter that wouldn't "pair" with the computer every now and then. I believe the newer models pair semi-permanently, so this should be less of an issue.
AndrewRawlingson

Postby Cameron_R » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:16 pm

I would recommend that you keep the computer hose and add to it a simple analogue SPG. It is very comforting having something that will never ever fail monitoring your gas supply!

Also, a question: what is the thinking behind those who have said they carry 2 cutting devices? Why bother with 2?
Cameron_R

Next

Return to Dive Equipment