Optical mask lenses

For general discussion about buying gear, configuration and those necessary diving accessories.

Optical mask lenses

Postby MikeS » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:57 pm

I have been getting more and more troubled with reading my computer and seeing my camera screen while diving. A while ago I purchased those stick on lenses which were mediocre at best and then sent away for a pair of factory optical lenses for my Mares mask (they make a variety of strengths for people needing reading glasses). Once again, not too good. Actually, quite hopeless.
I wear glasses; progressive lenses. About 2.5x for reading with a bit of magnification for longer distances.
I reckon I need to buy proper prescription optical lenses for my dive mask. Does anyone use these and know where to get them? Does the standard prescription from the optometrist work for a dive mask?
Does anyone have a mask that I could have a look at?
Thanks
MikeS

Re: Optical mask lenses

Postby divepirate » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:28 pm

I have the prescription mask and lenses available, however due to the vast ranges, not ex stock.

Mail me at;
captain@divepirate.co.nz and I will get a quote to you.
Matt.
Forum Administrator.

I cant think of anything more relaxing, than being in the downunder, breathing some nice clean fresh filtered 21% nitrox.
divepirate
Forum Administrator

Postby ChrisB » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:04 pm

MikeS wrote:I have been getting more and more troubled with reading my computer and seeing my camera screen while diving. A while ago I purchased those stick on lenses which were mediocre at best and then sent away for a pair of factory optical lenses for my Mares mask (they make a variety of strengths for people needing reading glasses). Once again, not too good. Actually, quite hopeless.
I wear glasses; progressive lenses. About 2.5x for reading with a bit of magnification for longer distances.
I reckon I need to buy proper prescription optical lenses for my dive mask. Does anyone use these and know where to get them? Does the standard prescription from the optometrist work for a dive mask?
Does anyone have a mask that I could have a look at?
Thanks

Time for a bigger computer and guage Mike?? hahahahahahahaa
Sometimes I think I understand EVERYTHING ---- then I regain consciousness
ChrisB

Postby Ulsterkiwi » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:02 pm

I don't want to tread on matt's toes but usually dive shops can only supply corrective lenses for simple prescriptions, either short or long vision correction but not BOTH. This may have changed, not the first time I have been wrong :-)

My wife spent a lot of time, effort and a fair bit of money with different permutations from those gauge reader masks to inserts and never got a satisfactory solution until last year

We used these guys....

http://www.divesight.co.uk/index.php

She looked at what masks they offered, went into our LDS and tried out those models to see which was the best fit. Then she emailed her latest prescription and they made and posted out that model of mask with lenses matching her full prescription in 3 weeks. Should also note we were going on a trip to Oz and they posted direct to our hotel in Cairns, awesome service.
Like you she has progressives, correcting for long and short vision and astigmatism. The mask from divesight does the lot.

It has revolutionised her diving experience. Now instead of seeing lots of blobs of colour and waiting to see my photos to discover what she was looking at she is the absolute best at finding awesome subjects for me to shoot. The smallest of nudis can be spotted with her better than corrected vision :-)

Its buying overseas, something I would always resist but the closest we could get was from specsavers who had crappy masks with lenses which werent progressives (they said it couldnt be done technically) and were charging more than double the money.

PM me if you want a pic of the mask. It really works!
Ulsterkiwi

Postby mattoau » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:23 pm

I used to work for a well know dive shop in the UK. If the off the shelf lenses weren't suitable we would send the mask off to Axis Optical for a full prescription lens. The turnaround was quick and quality excellent.

It could be possible to get a full prescription landed for the same as a local off the shelf solution.
mattoau

Postby Ulsterkiwi » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:12 pm

yup, the mask for my wife was about $400 landed here. When you consider a decent quality mask will always be around the $100-130 mark, we thought that represented pretty good value.
Ulsterkiwi

Return to Dive Equipment