Diving knives - quick release sheath

For general discussion about buying gear, configuration and those necessary diving accessories.

Postby morry9897 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:04 pm

Hi there

The rubber sheath for my dive knife is falling apart, primarily because I also use it for spearfishing and so I am always pulling the rubber tab to get my knife out to iki fish. I wondering if any one has an opinion on these quick release knife sheaths?. See pic link below. I have heard they are pretty flimsy and break easy and I don't really see the advantage.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver ... 589418.jpg

Cheers
morry9897

Re: Diving knives - quick release sheath

Postby mattoau » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:52 pm

Hi,

Not sure if you are just wanting to replace your sheath or get a new knife and sheath combo.

Anyway the picture you posted is that of an Underwater Kinetics Blue Tang. The sheath is absolutely specific to that knife and nothing else will fit correctly. However I have found it to be one of the best options available due to a simple positive engagement, but very difficult to lose the knife accidently. I have heard a few comments that some have found it difficult to remove the knife, but haven't had this issue with mine. UK make some tough products that aren't known for being flimsy.
mattoau

Postby Mykl » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:35 pm

I find the Wenoka knife range to be reliable and easy to use. I have the Wenoka Squeeze Lock attached to my BCD and the Wenoka Big Squeeze in a sheath on my leg. Check them out online. I've had both knives for over 4 years and have had no problems releasing or securing them, although the BCD knife needs to be done by feel. They can be purchased in different configurations (standard tip, blunt/chisel tip or stilletto tip).
Life is a sexually transmitted, terminal disease
Mykl

Postby morry9897 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:06 pm

Cheers for the responses guys. After all my yarns about quick release sheaths being flimsy the cheap knife & rubber sheath I bought off trademe broke the first time I tried to put it into the sheath. The rubber tab you put over the tank banger failed. No not in the water, it literally broke in my kitchen the first time I tried it (best be getting a refund). Funnily enough the same tab failed on my old knife but only after about 5 years of abuse. I don't actually think you can buy a high quality knife in the old sheaths anymore.
The old style sheath/knives I mean: http://www.splash.co.nz/shop/Scuba+Prod ... P+330.html

Yeah I have heard UK knives are a bit overpriced though.

That Wenoka big squeeze knife looks perfect for both scuba and spearfishing but I can't find it anywhere but ebay.
morry9897

Postby Mykl » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:51 pm

That's strange, I used eBay when researching my post and found both the Big Squeeze and Squeeze Lock without any trouble. I have just gone and checked again and several Big Squeeze knives come up when putting 'Wenoka Big Squeeze' into the eBay search. They cost NZ$50.74 plus NZ$16.99 shipping. I bought mine at the LDS in Picton and it cost a $#it load more than that.
Life is a sexually transmitted, terminal disease
Mykl

Postby Ali Perkins » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:24 am

http://www.halcyon.net/bc/accessories

Don't know if something like this would work with fish though.
To view the underwater photography of Alison Perkins from InspiredToDive.com - visit http://www.inspiredtodive.com
Ali Perkins
U/W Photographic genius

Postby divepirate » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:26 am

Bring Back Kinugawa.....
Matt.
Forum Administrator.

I cant think of anything more relaxing, than being in the downunder, breathing some nice clean fresh filtered 21% nitrox.
divepirate
Forum Administrator

Return to Dive Equipment