Dive Torch comparison LED vs XENON

For general discussion about buying gear, configuration and those necessary diving accessories.

Dive Torch comparison LED vs XENON

Postby Hybrid » Tue May 29, 2007 10:42 pm

I just happen to have two 3 "C" battery torches on my desk at home, and I thought to myelf - I should do a little comparison.
The two torches are both from Pelican the only difference is the bulb, one being LED and the other being Xenon.
Pelican website quotes... "The bulb is meant to last 10,000 hours of lamp life and extended battery burn time." on the LED torch. The LED is only a one watt bulb which means that you should be able to run it for 50 hours compared with just 5hours from the 3.3 watt Xenon bulb.

Top torch is the Xenon. note: I have modified the black Xenon, to get rid of the unneeded clip replacing it with a simple stainless gateclip.

Left is the Xenon blub, and right is the LED

According to their website the Xenon bulb produces a little more light than the LED, but is it noticable in the real world? I took two brand new torches, and six brand new batteries and put them side by side in my study about two metres from the wall to see.

The results are easy to see. The Xenon torch does a better job of focusing the light. Producing a hotspot that is brighter than the LED. The actual LED is actually placed backwards and the light is thrown forward via the reflector. It produces a whiter/bluer light, and perfectly round beam compared with the Xenon bulb.

When underwater I find the Xenon does a better job when looking under rocks, etc... I'll be able to make out a cray just that little bit easier when peering right down a deep crack.

So while the two torches are quite close. If I had to choose one for my backup torch, I'd be the Xenon. :)

Or this - My 30w HID project light - more on that soon 8)
Hybrid

Postby Andy » Wed May 30, 2007 12:00 am

Have you taken either of those Saberlites underwater yet, Hybrid???

The number I've seen flood is ridiculous. I know someone on their 5th replacement from Pelican, with on taking it on 8 dives!!! :shock:
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Flipper » Wed May 30, 2007 9:25 am

Good post Hybrid; - it's something I've been thinking about for a while. I really like the idea of LEDs, but having recently got one (a small unit, as a backup), I reckon there's still more work to be done to get them up to the same standard as 'conventional' bulbs. I guess in theory the LED also has the advantage of being more robust, but in the 8 years I've been using my UK400 xenon, which has been knocked about all over the place, I've not yet had a blown bulb.
Flipper

Re: Dive Torch comparison LED vs XENON

Postby Packhorse » Wed May 30, 2007 9:26 am

Hybrid wrote:

Tell me more !
Where did you get the bulb and ballast? How much did they cost? how ig are they? Will they fit in a mag light?

One of my suppliers is soon to sell some HID car headlight kits for a rediculas price. Cant wait to see if I can modify them for a dive torch.
Packhorse

Postby Hybrid » Wed May 30, 2007 10:06 am

Andy wrote:Have you taken either of those Saberlites underwater yet, Hybrid???

The number I've seen flood is ridiculous. I know someone on their 5th replacement from Pelican, with on taking it on 8 dives!!! :shock:

Neither of these have been underwater the reason that they're brand new is because they both flooded. :(

My Xenon torch had done me well for some 5+ years. The but LED has been replaced a couple of times already. Pelican NZ are very good about replacing them, the turn around time is often under a week.

A few of my friends have them as well, none of there Saberlites have flooded....yet :shock:
Hybrid

Postby Azza » Wed May 30, 2007 10:09 am

I have one of the small princton tech LED lights and while it is great at night, its average during the day, i think because the light is so white.
Azza

Postby Andy » Wed May 30, 2007 10:11 am

Hybrid wrote:A few of my friends have them as well, none of there Saberlites have flooded....yet :shock:

If you get a good one, it's great. But for some reason a lot of them just aren't up to snuff!
Andy
Serial Poster

Re: Dive Torch comparison LED vs XENON

Postby Hybrid » Wed May 30, 2007 10:20 am

Packhorse wrote:
Hybrid wrote:

Tell me more !
Where did you get the bulb and ballast? How much did they cost? how ig are they? Will they fit in a mag light?

One of my suppliers is soon to sell some HID car headlight kits for a rediculas price. Cant wait to see if I can modify them for a dive torch.

The bulb and ballast is from a company in the US called http://trailtech.net/single_hid_scmr16.html They produce HID lighting options for ATV's. On TDS there are a few people who've created diving torches from them. They cost just over $NZ200 for the bulb and ballast - shipped to the US, prop a little more to NZ.

The main problem is the heat that's generated. Many people using them find that they reach thermal cutout after using them for only a short period of time. The way around this is to mill out an Ali lighthead which soaks more of the heat away.

Not sure if they'll fit into a mag torch light head. The bulb size is MR16. They do produce a 10w HID which is MR11, that might fit?!?!

Hybrid

Return to Dive Equipment