Who has tried a rebreather?

A Place for Discussions On All The Various mCCRs, eCCRs, SCRs & Diving Profiles.

Have you ever used a Rebreather?

Yes
40%
No
60%
What's a rebreather?!
No votes

Total votes : 25

Who has tried a rebreather?

Postby DiveDiva » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:40 pm

Okay, I'll start this one off then :wink:

I have only used a rebeather once in a 1.5m pool at the London Dive Show. I thought it was pretty cool.

Who here has used one?
What did you think?
What is the future for RB in NZ?

DD
Last edited by DiveDiva on Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby Packhorse » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:41 pm

Im just waiting to win lotto
Packhorse

Postby diveclass-101 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:54 pm

always wanted to but Dive HQ hamilton didn't have one.. :lol:
Non ut edam vivo, sed vivam edo.
I do not live to eat, but eat to live.
- Quintilianus, Instituitio oratoria
diveclass-101

Postby Flipper » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:34 pm

I'd love to go with closed circuit; the price is high, but adding up all the bits I've bought this year, it's not far off the price of a CCR. The advertised price of an Evolution is around US$6000 (plus I'm sure there'll be a $ or 2 extra for training :) )
I once stumbled across a rate of return calculator for Helium diving, showing that with moderate use, you could get a CCR to pay for itself within a couple of years vs open circuit!! :D
Flipper

Postby Andy » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Flipper wrote:I once stumbled across a rate of return calculator for Helium diving, showing that with moderate use, you could get a CCR to pay for itself within a couple of years vs open circuit!! :D

Probably even less, given the price of He here in NZ! I know someone who costed out a Tx course here, and it worked out cheaper to fly to the US for it rather than pay for the fills here.

I'd definitely go CCR as and when I start thinking Tx. I'd just buy an Inspiration in the UK and claim back the VAT on exit. If I combine that with a work trip the UK, then it saves a huge amount.....
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Chriso » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:46 am

Yep owned a few

Dolphin SCR, horrid thing, sold it after 12 months
PRISM Topaz, Great underwater wonderful to dive, just kept falling apart

Now diving a ISC Megalodon, built like a tank, a true expedition class Rebreather and I love it, there is nothing better than diving silent and I really struggle to strap on OC kit these days.

Cheers
Chriso
Chriso

Postby chickdiver » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:53 am

Another Meg diver here- just hit 13 months on it and loving every minute!
chickdiver

Postby Azza » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:39 am

chickdiver wrote:Another Meg diver here- just hit 13 months on it and loving every minute!

CD do you use your Meg in the caves?
Azza

Postby chickdiver » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:03 pm

Azza wrote:
chickdiver wrote:Another Meg diver here- just hit 13 months on it and loving every minute!

CD do you use your Meg in the caves?

Yes, I do. In fact, the only time I am not diving CC these days is when I am teaching. It is difficult (especially in the beginning) to go back and forth between CC and OC. I find that the more I dive the Meg the easier it gets to flip between the two, but the first dive always has a little "adjustment period".

H
chickdiver

Postby Azza » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:32 pm

How many hours would you get out of the Meg? Do you still breathe from stages or not bother?

I am really interested in Cave Diving and one day hope to take a cave course.
Azza

Postby chickdiver » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:28 pm

Azza wrote:How many hours would you get out of the Meg? Do you still breathe from stages or not bother?

I am really interested in Cave Diving and one day hope to take a cave course.

You really become limited by the scrubber duration, more than anything else. The standard Meg scrubber is good for approx. 5 hours. Doing 3 hour dives is not unusual. We don't breathe from stages, but we do carry them as OC bailout gas. If all things go as planned, you fill them once and just double check pressures before the dive.
chickdiver

Dived a few

Postby Simon TW » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:07 am

I have a bit of time on CCR but I've always been back and forth from CCR to OC. it's like driving differnet cars, you get used to switching between them

I have a few units at the moment but as I teach CCR it's only normal that I have few.

I personally prefer an Inspiration, The Meg is really well built, my Meg has the Apeks 2 controller and I'm waiting for the new Decompression software. I also think that the Meg is way to heavy. I know the factory is trying out a carbon fibre can but it's a few months off yet.

If I'm travelling the Evo is the best unit but to be honest I'd take an Inspiration and hire the cylinders when I get there. If I could only have one then it's the Inspiration. With well over 10,000 units sold you can get spares and support anywhere in the world.
Simon TW

Postby Andi » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:36 pm

:roll:

I'm going through "which one" and "when to buy" "how to buy" at the moment, I'm travelling to Mauritius in a week for work and have managed a weekend to myself - doing a day on an Inspiration with some theory and pool and ocean work, really like the duration with no deco and the silent bit.....will probably end up with either an Insipration or an Evo - limited to try here in NZ, AP stuff is the only one really supported - my other forum time is spent on rebreatherworld.com - I'm not sad really.....
Andi

Postby petemes » Tue May 01, 2007 11:04 am

Flipper wrote:I'd love to go with closed circuit; the price is high, but adding up all the bits I've bought this year, it's not far off the price of a CCR. The advertised price of an Evolution is around US$6000 (plus I'm sure there'll be a $ or 2 extra for training :) )
I once stumbled across a rate of return calculator for Helium diving, showing that with moderate use, you could get a CCR to pay for itself within a couple of years vs open circuit!! :D

Hey Flipper, If you saw a new evo for that then I would buy it!!!!

Trade export prices of inspo or evo as follows

3886 pounds Price of evo (inspo with vision electronics)
248 pounds"temp stick" scrubber monitor
95 pounds nitrox software
95 pounds trimix software

4229 pounds thats a total of ( keeping it at nitrox software)
270 shipping to NZ
4499 total

ADD gst ( now you could go to the UK on this and get a VAT back and try not get caught getting through customs ( if you look as dodgy as Andy connor then you are stuffed!!!!!)

2000 $ NZ donation for training and voila you are all good to go

Payment options,

$1 a week (you get the unit when last payment made!!)
put it on the mortgage
GET a mortgage
put it on your credit card and forget about it!
put on the wifes credit card and forget about it! (best option!)
pay cash! (Diving instructors this is your best option seeing you are all loaded!)

and.... NO complaining about money. You have to spend your money on something and noone has 17K. If you want it enough you will make a plan.
"A little less talk a little more action" Elvis Presley
petemes
Site Sponsor

Postby Andy » Tue May 01, 2007 11:25 am

petemes wrote:ADD gst ( now you could go to the UK on this and get a VAT back and try not get caught getting through customs ( if you look as dodgy as Andy connor then you are stuffed!!!!!)

Hey! I never get stopped by customs!! I think you're mistaking me for Christian with his attempts to get sorb on a plane by putting the white powder in zip lock bags.....
Andy
Serial Poster

Next

Return to Rebreather Diving