Hmmm got me thinking...

A Place for Discussions On All The Various mCCRs, eCCRs, SCRs & Diving Profiles.

Hmmm got me thinking...

Postby DiveDiva » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:02 pm

I met up with petemes last night who was teaching a rebreather course on Yukon at the Knights. I met some very interesting people and now I'm kinda curious to give it a shot. I have deliberately not explored my own curiosity of them, telling myself they are expensive and dangerous (which is still true) but I have to say I would like to at least do a bit of research / learning and maybe try one out in the shallows. What are the prequisites for a rebreather course? Do you need technical diver training.

Oooh! And it certainly did inspire me - get it? :lol:
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Re: Hmmm got me thinking...

Postby Andy » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:33 pm

I don't that the pre-reqs for TDI rebreather courses are particularly high - you do need an Advanced Nitrox cert (up to 100%) but that training can be included in the RB course. Otherwise, I think it's AOW (Rescue preferred?) and a level of diving experience.

The thing that Pete and every other RB diver I know keeps re-iterating is this.... you might be an experienced diver on open circuit, but you'll be a noobie on the RB for a long time.

I've been thinking about it for a while, and I do tend to flip-flop a bit. I haven't found my "perfect unit" yet, and I've also realised that 70% of my diving is with someone who doesn't want to dive closed circuit yet. So the advantages of a RB won't be really utilised.

I'd also suggest talking to a few RB divers about the "hidden costs".... sorb, batteries etc. They aren't cheap to buy, and they're certainly not cheap to run.

I'll probably commit to a RB when one of two things happen - when I want to extend dives to deeper than 55m in which case I can't afford OC trimix fills or if we move somewhere with cold water, as breathing compressed air is one one of the main factors for being cold on a dive. Doing long deco times after a wreck dive in Canada does not sound like my idea of fun if on OC in cold water....... brrrrrrrr!!!
Andy
Serial Poster

Return to Rebreather Diving