Open Revolution Rebreather

A Place for Discussions On All The Various mCCRs, eCCRs, SCRs & Diving Profiles.

Open Revolution Rebreather

Postby Andy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:12 am

Had lunch with Pete Mesley last week, and he mentioned the development of a new rebreather in the UK.

The Open Revolution Rebreather project has spawned the Apocolypse RB, which is being retailed for US$995 for the basic unit mCCR. To add on pp02 monitoring plus a range of other options, inclusing CO2 monitoring (wow!) is another 995 Euros.

That's NZ$3700 for a fully functioning mCCR unit, about half of the other units I've been considering.

I think this is pretty amazing, given that my twinset (two tanks, bands, manifold, two regs, wing, plate and harness) would cost me $4000 or so to replace.

Lots of discussion on Rebreather World;

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/open-rev ... ebreather/

Plus an FAQ on the website of the company who are designing the unit;

http://www.deeplife.co.uk/or_updates.php

Something to keep an eye on if you are interested in CCR diving!
Andy
Serial Poster

Re: Open Revolution Rebreather

Postby DiveDiva » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:38 pm

That may just be the thing to lure me over to the dark side.... 8)
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby Andy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:50 pm

It's an interesting unit, for sure.

I've ploughed through the various discussions on RBW, and certainly like some of the design philosophy... particularly things like the unit is designed to not really support any bailout reg connect to the dilutant. As the current prototype is looking, there are a number of different ways of configuring the unit - "standard" is a 1.6L butt mounted oxygen cyliner, with a right mounted dil and a left mounted bailout.

1.6L seems a little small for an oxygen cylinder, but the unit can be configured for left mounted dil, right mounted oxygen with any size tanks from 2L to 10L. That leaves space inside the unit for a nice little argon bottle for drysuit inflation and bailout can be carried slung or sidemount.

The fact it has CO2 monitoring is quite amazing. This is a tidy little feature.

Certainly a unit to watch. I'm quite intrigued as to who will actually be selling the units - it's all under wraps until 22nd September. But soon after, sales will be starting online and you will be able to buy a unit without proof of training.

I'm not so keen on having to return the head for an annual calibration and service, and I need to have a look at the cost of using extendAir cartridges over using self-packed sorb. Definitely something to think about, though.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby DiveDiva » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:02 pm

Argon...mmm..toasty!

It certainly sounds interesting and I'd be keen to have a chat with Pete about it as well. I always said to myself I wouldn't seriously consider diving with a rebreather until they'd worked out how to monitor the CO2 levels....uh oh! Excuses are running in short supply now!!

Do you know how heavy the unit is by any chance?
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator
DiveDiva
Forum Administrator

Postby Andy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:06 pm

DiveDiva wrote:Do you know how heavy the unit is by any chance?

In it's standard configuration, I think it's 17kg. That's pretty light, about half the weight of an Inspo I think?

The latest prototype apparently has wheels, so you don't have to carry it everywhere! :shock:
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby justsimon » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:10 pm

I'm not techspeakcapable, so... why is argon for drysuit inflation a good thing? Isn't it really expensive?
justsimon
U/W Photographic genius

Postby Andy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:48 pm

justsimon wrote:I'm not techspeakcapable, so... why is argon for drysuit inflation a good thing? Isn't it really expensive?

It's a better insulator than air, and much better insulator that trimix... the helium in trimix makes it unsuitable for using to take the squeeze off the drysuit because you just end up cold.

It is pretty expensive, and to be honest I'd normally fill it with air until I get to the point of diving trimix, which certainly won't be in New Zealand! It's just a nice tidy solution for hiding the argon tank (normally about the size of a SpareAir) out of the way.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby silent solutions » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:01 pm

Andy wrote:
justsimon wrote:I'm not techspeakcapable, so... why is argon for drysuit inflation a good thing? Isn't it really expensive?

It's a better insulator than air, and much better insulator that trimix... the helium in trimix makes it unsuitable for using to take the squeeze off the drysuit.

It is pretty expensive, and to be honest I'd normally fill it with air until I get to the point of diving trimix, which certainly won't be in New Zealand! It's just a nice tidy solution for hiding the argon tank (normally about the size of a SpareAir) out of the way.

I have tried argon quite a few times(more than 20 mix dives) and to be honest I could not tell the difference and I would rather have a gas that i could plug in somewhere and use.I think simon may have posted some research done on a couple of norwegian comm divers with rectal thermometers for body core temps and no noticeable difference was found using argon.But there are still those that use argon and think it is great try it and use what works for you.Now to the open revolution if I was a betting man i would say narked at 90 will be involved in there somewhere.I have watched this evolve over the last 8 years with alex having a large axe to grind against ap valve.So over all this time and bulk money from grants for r and d all they can come up with is a manual unit albeit at a very good price point.In saying that I have had an order for one since janurary so I will give it a try and see how it compares to other units.
silent solutions

Postby Andy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:11 pm

silent solutions wrote:Now to the open revolution if I was a betting man i would say narked at 90 will be involved in there somewhere.I have watched this evolve over the last 8 years with alex having a large axe to grind against ap valve.So over all this time and bulk money from grants for r and d all they can come up with is a manual unit albeit at a very good price point.In saying that I have had an order for one since janurary so I will give it a try and see how it compares to other units.

Yeah, Narked@90 have some involvement - not sure if they will be the seller, though? When do you think your unit will arrive? Would be really interested in your opinion on it - particularly comparing it to the Colkan Eagle, about which nothing seems to be happening of late.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby silent solutions » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:25 pm

The eagle is still progressing but if the open revolution meets its promises with regards to preformance and price it will put most mccr producers out of the game.But nothing is certain or guranteed in the rb world, interesting times ahead.
silent solutions

Postby Andy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:34 pm

silent solutions wrote:The eagle is still progressing but if the open revolution meets its promises with regards to preformance and price it will put most mccr producers out of the game.But nothing is certain or guranteed in the rb world, interesting times ahead.

Indeed, interesting times.

If once it arrives you end up deciding that the unit is ok, but not something you'd want to keep then let me know - I'd consider taking it off your hands.
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby Andy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:46 pm

The sales website is up and running;

https://www.opensafety.eu

Though they don't ship to NZ, how are you getting your unit here SS??
Andy
Serial Poster

Postby silent solutions » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:03 pm

Web site is crap they dont ship any where in the world yet.$995 is probally a catch by my calcs roughly around $6-7k landed here and $135 for 4 extend air cartridges loos sorb is way cheaper.They wont be shipping until after jan was the last thing I heard.
silent solutions

Postby djwazzo » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:44 pm

Hi Guys

I have a friend in the South Island with a OR unit coming in a few weeks time, however since he also has the news of a baby on the way he is going to be forced into selling it straight away. If anyone is interested plese get in touch.

Thanks
Shane
djwazzo

Postby silent solutions » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:03 pm

Where in the south island?I doubt they will be shipped in a few weeks,the instructors havent had the second newsletter yet or any confirmed dates for there units,I cancelled my order way back when the anne marie thing started.I will give it another year and let others be the beta testers.
silent solutions

Next

Return to Rebreather Diving